Intel's Mobin 2.1 Will Compete with Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]crystalized[/nom]Next up Microsoft in the microprocessor game!!![/citation]

AMD buyout, anyone? That hasnt come up in a good while, sorry for breaking the streak :p

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]AMD buyout, anyone? That hasnt come up in a good while, sorry for breaking the streak :p[/citation]
That would certainly be an interesting move.I could see it now Windows "optimized" for Microsoft (AMD) CPU's.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I will test it out on my notebook (its so old it's comparable to a netbook....)
I hope it is good. Not saying I will run it on my desktop machine but I am always looking for options on older hardware.

G

JonathanDeane: Unless your notebook has a Core2 or Atom, then it doesn't support SSSE3, and can't run Moblin.

G

as long as intel does not support its own chip gma500, how serious are they?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The article says take on desktop OS's but the release flavors are, quote, "three flavors: one for nettops, one for Netbooks, and one for handhelds."
Nothing there about a full desktop OS, this is a striped down remix flavor. I will keep using Ubuntu for now and the foreseeable future.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Think the days of Microsoft as an OS company are drawing to a close - too much history as the company that got in the way of the user. No doubt Microsoft will be around making money, but not from Windows. If Ubuntu would stop changing every five days, I don't see any reason why everyone won't just be using Ubuntu or other UNIX variant within ten years. I'm no Linux champion, I've only used Ubuntu and it's been frustrating to say the least, but it's now as easy as Windows to install and it's free. I use windows for one reason only: My wife's work PC and laptop have to have Windows and it's too much trouble to go back and forth. I even tried a virtual machine inside linux with windows for my wife but I'd forget to keep it on or the flash drive would go to the wrong OS - PITA.
When hardware comes with Linux drivers 100% of the time, Windows is doomed. I just remembered the other reason why I'm still using Windows, I can't get my ATSC tuner to work in Linux. Media center in Vista of course works out of the box as they say. And netflix, dammit, don't get me started. There is no reason to Windows!!!!

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]Its a celeron m so yeah its got SSE3... but I just put slitaz on it and I am loving it. (posting this from it now)[/citation]

But it does not have SSSE3, so it will not work. Note there is an extra S in their requirements.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]But it does not have SSSE3, so it will not work. Note there is an extra S in their requirements.[/citation]

LOL I noticed that when I was typing it out... I hope they mean SSE3 but if not then I am doomed to not be able to try it out. :( Ahhh its ok I got Slitaz on my notebook now and it runs like a new machine able to be put back into service. I keep using Windows on the desktop because I am familiar with it and never have any issues I cannot solve in a few moments at worst an hour. On Linux I am a newb and am lucky to get sound working on my machine in 3 hours of reading and in the end figuring out what to do on my own... Press M to mute a channel in Alsa... Why is this not mentioned on the help menu? lol

G

Intel deliberately made SSSE3 a requirement, surely they compiled it with GCC compiler flags specifically for Core2(which wasn't necessary, and probably doesn't help at all). Anybody can compile a Linux app for using compiler flags for their specific CPU/system, but there is rarely any point in doing so, and the end result may not even be noticeable. Every other distro either compiles with compiler flags for 386 or 686.

This means we should boycott Moblin all together, otherwise, you are just rewarding bad behavior, and Intel already gets away with enough bad behavior.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Hire someone to do a final check on your stories before they get posted... this is becoming a bad joke... I liked the other guys comment in the googlle story "they hired a Tom's editor" HAHA ROFLAO his comment actually made me crack up and had coworkers staring at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.