Intel's Optical Tech May Arrive Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hm. I understand why they wanted to go with USB but I think it will get pretty confusing for customers. We'll have USB 2.0, USB 3.0, and Intel Light Peak that all look the exact same.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]vorless[/nom]I dont want to spend $1,000 dollars a foot for wire.(My guess.)[/citation]

they aren't Monster brand cables...

notzaar

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I don't see how this could replace USB, it seems kind of expensive and USB works just fine. Could be useful for network cables and A/V signals.

peterkidd

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
zingham:
7000 disconnects and reconnects isn't that much!!! for monitors it's OK
For USB devices like mice and other peripherals on laptops the number would be top low.

It would take you 6 years to reach that number if you disconnected and reconnected 3 times a day. Nineteen years if you only disconnected and reconnected once.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
What I don't understand is why can't they use standard ethernet cables (RJ-45) as a kind of universal standard for connecting devices like monitors, mice, printers and other peripherals. I don't know much about the standard but it RJ-45 cables have plenty of bandwidth, low latency, and are already being mass produced and has seen wide spread adoption over the years. All that would need to happen is for some standards body to create some kind of Universal protocol over RJ-45.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I think someone posted about this the last time these cables were discussed in an article, but these could be a great way to get an external graphics card solution for laptops.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
New cables are great, but they aren't the bottleneck, so just changing the cable doesn't solve anything. Using current ethernet cables, you can transfer approx 128MB/s. (Mainstream) hard drives are just now scraping this transfer rate, and only for short periods of time.

It's nice to know we've got room to improve, but if this is targeting mainstream consumers it's ahead of its time. Why would I pay more money for a cable if I can't notice any difference?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@phatboe : Power. USB cables carry up to 5v (500mA). That's why cables are usually 6 to 15 feet long (the maximum without losing signal being around 30 feet). Cat-5 cables aren't powered but can carry a 100mhz signal up to 328 feets. Different need, different cables.

notzaar

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]Maybe they'll one day replace pci express o_O[/citation]
External video cards huh? Might not be such a bad idea, at the rate they're growing in size.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I can't wait to see what the guy at Best Buy tells me to get me to buy the Monster Cables version.

"The gold plated optical fiber helps reflect the light in the cable so that the signal is a higher strength."

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Future vision: close to fully optical computers like the ones in the movie 'virtuosity', or the computers Superman's native people were using.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
That's it, I'm gonna patent the above idea! Yes, I know movies have already shown that, but those were movies, science fiction (call superman science, ha ha), I have a true idea about this at work. I am just sorry big evil corporations will rob me of my ideas before I have implemented anything. But I'll wait a few years and sue them all!

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
So do these cables transfer power over the cable? If not, then how will my mouse, keyboard, etc be powered? That is one of the useful things about USB.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]vorless[/nom]I dont want to spend $1,000 dollars a foot for wire.(My guess.)[/citation]
Standard fiber optic cable is currently less than a dollar a foot. It's very comparable to standard crossover cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.