Intel's 'Overspeed protection' will limit Core i7 overclocks!!!!!!

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Apart from Intel's flagship extreme Core i7...other lesser mainstream i7 models will be restricted with Intel's 'overspeed protection'. Intel will no longer allow cheaper models to be overclocked to such large overclocks like before with Core2. What does this all mean? Expensive motherboards+Expensive DDR3 Ram+restricted overclocks = Unhappy enthusiast :(

A 45nm Black edition is all but needed to put the hurt on Intel!! :)

Article:Monday, November 03, 2008 09:51 :)
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40012/135/

Article Quotes:

Intel released the CPU in three forms, all requiring a new socket and expensive X58 chipset to support it

Intel has introduced a new "Overspeed Protection" feature which prevents big overclocking. By monitoring both core voltage and amperage, Intel effectively caps the maximum power at 130 watts total.

Overclocking made hard

Only the 965 Extreme edition is unlocked for overclocking. Intel promises that these high-end models will always remain unlocked. In the past, many enthusiasts would purchase low-end CPUs, high-end cooling solutions, and then overclock their chips to achieve Extreme-or-greater performance for a lower cost. Intel has now put a stop to that practice with Overspeed Protection, which puts a hard cap at 130 watts power consumption. Beyond that it just won't go.

I will say one thing.... at least Intel is coming out of that ancient FSB and Double Cheeseburger era

AMD 45nm Quads the future!

AMD4Life!!

G

Hehe... another reason i'll be sticking to my trusty new q9550 at 3.85 ghz :D

even if this is remotely true i don't really care as I am going to stick with my q9550... and its just going to start flame wars... flames between roflcopters and lolskates :p

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
How does one explain this ...

"Let me add a little detail. In the BIOS, you have a setting call "CPU VR current override", and if you select this to ENABLE, your CPU will ignore the TDP limits, and the TDC limit. There is no "cripple Overclocking", we proactively putted this feature to make sure the Overclockers will have fun.
Try it yourself, and have fun!

Thanks!
Francois Piednoel
Intel Corp"

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
yea frankly, i was disappointed that there werent at least 10 exclamation marks...i mean, y the heck would u stop at 6?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

on a more personal and serious note, i'm not gonna spend that much $ on this stuff anyway so i'll worry about it much later when it actually affects me (and by then, the protection might be gone or have a workaround if it doesnt have one already).

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008

It is so much fun to see Intel employ disprove things said by AMD fanboy and half-truth report by half-brain dead reporter.

I'm very appreciate that Intel people spend times to deal with hard-to-please crowd like us. Too bad I have to shed money for car insurance at the moment.

silent_744

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I find it hard to believe that thunderman is really a fanboy, I think he makes these threads for his own amusement, at his own expense. Does he EVER reply after his initial post? Can he really be THAT stupid and ignorant? I'm not trying to defend thunderman, i'm trying to defend humanity here ... I just can't bring myself to believe we're that far gone. :(

Oh wells ...

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ive thought as long as ive been here "not long", that its nothing but an alt account of a forum vet, that they use just to stir up crap and draw out fanbois. :D

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
i would imagine so as well TC. i found it odd TH used those terms and really provided nothing to really display where they hit a wall in overclocking attempts.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
alot of benchmarks all over the web with varied success. i dont expect anything ground breaking considering the number of games that actually benefit from a quad. even if it left a vapor trail behind it outright clowning everything else, i wouldnt run out and buy it lol.

I agree. I highly doubt that any of the upcoming Denebs will better the i7 965EE, but if the rumored 10% IPC boost over the Agenas and a 3 GHz initial top-bin clock speed are true, then the Denebs will give Intel a big run for its money among everything but the most moneyed gamers. I think that Intel is getting cocky like they were in the 90s with the overclocking lock, the different sockets for the "performance" and "mainstream/value" chips, and the ridiculous prices of the i7 motherboards. Yes, I know that other groups make the motherboards, but the price of the X58 chipset is supposedly near $100 and the motherboard has *eight* layers. I am sure they could have trimmed that down a bit as dual-socket Opteron motherboards only use six layers IIRC, and they are more complicated than an i7 board. I sincerely hope that the Deneb Phenoms do perform as rumored and overclock well to knock Intel back into line, like they were during the entire Core 2 run.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Right now, there's no reason for most people to downgrade from their oced Kentsfield/Yorkfield to oc-limited i7. Might as well, it means our existing quads will hold value better. :na:

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008

yeah, the 7.7 second run in superpi on a 5.2GHz i7 was pretty impressive. My 6000+ stock does it in like 29. (LOL thats sad)

i do still have to agree that the X58 mobo's appear to be a little on the expensive side, even for some of the included features.

super pi is more conducive towards Intel, even a faster AMD is slower than Intel on super pi. Its like comparing a ATI card to a nVidia card, it really cant be compared to differing arch's. One gen, nVidia wins, and is slower in games, another, ATI wins and is slower in games.

Im not so certain about all of this ocing stuff, as all it could really mean is that the turbo is shut down above 130 watts, but who knows at this point?

As far as gaming goes, it was as expected, except the surprise showing in the multi gpu setups, tho you need a 4870X2 or a G200 sli setup at least

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well everyone seems to be saying that I7 doesnt improve gaming much. Well most "Hard Core gamers" use SLI or Xfire, and the review I just read shows that I7 powns anything in Multi GPU setups. Take a look.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/

It looks pretty darn impressive to me.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

It's a $1k+ extreme version i7 compared to $170 dual core instead of a current quad. Dual cores bottleneck on dual/quad gpus, current generation quads do not. Also, the handpicked selection of games are highly multithreaded, a major disadvantage for dual core cpu.

That setup is cherry picked in every way to make i7 look as good as possible. Here's a real benchmark comparing i7 quads with current quads of similar clock rates:
http://techgage.com/article/intel_core_i7_performance_preview/11

crysis900

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

Reading's hard huh?

How does one explain this ...

"Let me add a little detail. In the BIOS, you have a setting call "CPU VR current override", and if you select this to ENABLE, your CPU will ignore the TDP limits, and the TDC limit. There is no "cripple Overclocking", we proactively putted this feature to make sure the Overclockers will have fun.
Try it yourself, and have fun!

Thanks!
Francois Piednoel
Intel Corp"

EDIT: Here's your overclocking
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205779

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

The tdp throttling can only be overriden with the "extreme" 965 version.

I have to agree with dagger here, as I was shown the same thing, anyone that has a multi gpu setup knows a quad core is a must, and a dual will only get you so far, as proven in the guru tests.

Again, Ill have to agree with dagger, that the TDP limitation is ONLY on the NON EE models. It looks good to say it applies to all models, but it really doesnt

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I believe the OC enthusiast boards will have a option to get around TDB Limitation. If not feel free to come back and call me a idiot.

Most of the reviews are on a Intel board, and if history can tell us anything the Asus and Gigabyte boards will have a little something to offer.