Intel's playing catch-up

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I agree that Turpit's reaction wasn't the best either... but it is extremely frustrating to have to deal with trolls constantly. Add to that someone defending the trollish behaviour and you feel more like yanking your hair out and banning the offending parties. I'm sure Thunderman has had his fair share of private warnings and it obviously hasn't done anything to curb his behaviour.

Also, I find the type of "hit and run" posting he seems to employ even more annoying than someone who sticks around and tries to defend their position.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Agreed. The crazy thing is that a lot of the time all Thunderman does is post a link to a positive article on AMD and expound about how it is proof that AMD is great and somehow even something as simple as that is enough to start a huge flame war. I remember one a few months ago when he link to an article talking about how AMD Opterons were used to make some of the recent CG movies and many other posters jumped all over it like he had insulted their mothers. I think it says a lot that even Thunderman posts that aren't completely over the top ridiculous still elicit such a huge response.

Edit: I should note that most of Thunderman's posts are over the top ridiculous.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Just laying this argument to rest, there seems to be credible benchmarks from at least two credible sources, Anandtech and Nordichardware. Unfortunately these reviews were only of the 1366 socket (Bloomfield CPU) and were in a somewhat captive environment using early steppings on both the x58 MB and the CPU.

Nordichardware also has a quote from an 'inside source' that seems to indicate that the 1060 socket processors will OC just as well.

For me, it is just too early to make any reliable calls, so I'll patiently wait. My old s939 Opty 175 still does me (mostly) good enough for a few months, so I can afford to wait.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Thunderman has the same rights as anyone to post, regardless of whether his posts are ridiculous, informative or otherwise......right up until the point where he persists in violating TOS.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Chill guys.

Stop the E-peen fights mates. Every CPU i knew so far could be overclocked. If they were locked to hell and back, and you couldn't do nothing in the BIOS, ya just needed to shunt a few bridges and off we go :bounce:

I don't understand the fuzz about Bloomflied capabilities of being overclocked. Really. The chip aint out yet. There is already some "sneak peeks" onto it, but while we dont have it on our desks (or on the reviewers) it is really a mindless discussion.
It is not the first (or last) time we see sneak peeks from the brands that are totally bogus. That we read "pre-reviews" from Brands in Cebit or other shows that become bogus. They are BRAND reviews. They want to sell. The only way that they can be understood its with a good portion of salt, and potatoes to the mix.

Overclockers always find a way to do it !! And who says it cant be overclocked doesn't know nothing about the history of CPUs. Hell, i come from the good old days of dip switches and jumpers. Relax all, and enjoy the ride !!

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Have to say I'm disappointed with the attitude shown towards skywalker in this thread.

He has made a point, and people have not answered it, they've simply dodged it with a crap get out.

If the proof is there that Intel is going to allow low end Nehalems to overclock, then post the links. Posting up "read the forum" is not an answer.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Oh, and BTW - Theo Valich is not a source of any use in my eyes. I've more faith in fudzilla tbh.

Remember K10 at 30,000 3DMark?

Remember AMD's double hypertransport.

The boy has cried wolf too many times for me.

I am with Skywalker and just an engineer on this one.

Thunderman is a great creative character that adds some much needed entertainment value to the site.

I also value BM's contributions and find him quite persuasive at times - I take him seriously.

Moreover ... dragging him into the conversation is to me a violation of the TOS if you ask me. What did BM do or say here ?? Nothing ... so keep him out of it.

As an AMD fan who has always made my "affiliation public" I don't find their comments trollish.

If fact most of the Intel fanbois here including TC and others are far more annoying with their childish statements and picture posts.

A picture doesn't always say 1000 words - sometimes it just makes you look like a turkey with nothing intelligent to say.

Having dribbled on now for quite a few keystrokes I'd like to finish with just how impressed I am with me shiny new Q6600 running stock out of the box @ 3Ghz (9 X 333). W00t !!!

Never fear ... the ol AMD box is still my trusty tor rig ... with the P3 as the firewall.

Now I'm in a bit of an existential vaccuum ...

Stuff it ... I am taking my own side !!!

Nice to see how the ratings are going on this one too !!!

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

So rather than offer a shred of evidence to back up your claim you call me lazy. I will repeat my claim, show me some definitive evidence that proves Intel will allow overclocking of mainstream nehalems and I will apologize. So far I have a toms hardware news report claiming an industry insider says mainstream nehalem will overclock as well as the high end. No technical details, no names, nothing. Fudzilla at least explains the process behind their argument. Heck I could be totally missing it. I must be I have all these people telling me to just read.

Your personal crusade against thunderman is not my concern. You taking it to far kinda worried and offended me. When I called you on it you started attacking me personally.

Now just to prove I can read:
Thunderman alleged FUD would have violated your Terms of Use (conduct policy), not your Terms of Service (a subset of your terms of use). You violated your TOS when you swore and dropped the GD. Of course I did as well, but I was just quoting a mod.

So as a family forum your response to question is to read the forum. Nice. Why even post if that is what you are going to say. Oh and attack me for being lazy and not wanting to study. Maybe you should do some studying of your own terms of use. It clearly states in the Terms of Use that Bestofmedia(BOM) is not responsible for the content posted on the forums and that the forum poster is responsible. So when you told croc the site was responsible you were wrong according to your TOS. But I am "clearly not interested in reading or studying," so what do I know?

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Zoron and Just an Engineer: I understand what you are saying about OCing workarounds. My inquiries into the subject of OCing the Nehalem where really intended to test the waters and see if any of these links turpit keeps talking about exists. You (and rednor) have valid points and will probably turn out correct in the end. Sorry for dragging this out but bullies like turpit with mod power really anger me. I really like these forums and most of the users here are good reasonable people, but all it takes is a few bad apples and I am getting tired of the insults and personal attacks when someone new asks a n00b question. Now I see why this behavior persists, moderators like turpit don't attempt to curb such behavior, they propagate it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The whining here is killing me, you guys are a bunch of politically correct XXXXs.

Whine Whine Whine Cry Cry Cry.

I would address some of the asinine comments, but that would in some little way validate them.

Grow up you pansies. :pfff:

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
:heink: Are you serious? Or are you arguing this point for the sake of arguing?
My inquiries into the subject of OCing the Nehalem where really intended to test the waters and see if any of these links turpit keeps talking about exists.
If the inquiries aren't working, there is another way to find out...

Heres what I don't get. People want links to prove the low end Nehalems will OC but they cannot provide links to prove they will not OC except for a rumor started via Fuad which we know is not 100% reliable.

As for thunderman, I don't mind him but he is full of BS. There are a few post that are fine for him to post about AMD but every single time ha has to bring Intel into it and bash Intel.

What I hate is how he sets there and spreads FUD on most of his posts such as Deneb will this and Nehalem is bad yadda yadda. He has no proof of anything he says. He always brings up useless arguments that are quite frankly laughable.

Turpit on the other hand will post about something and in 99% of the case present links, a lot of links, filled with arguments for his side. Thats why I would support turpit over thunderman anyday.

And as for the Nehalem OCin debacle, lets wait huh? Its close so I am sure that we will see soon if it will or will not and I am pretty sure Intel is antsy to put the rumor to rest.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

I would give it credibility simply because it makes business sense* to restrict the overclocking of chips to certain chips that you can charge extra for.

* = greedy CEOs looking yet more profit.

AMD are in a slightly different position at the moment, as they need all the goodwill they can get, hence the BE series.

^It makes sense in a way yes. But it also does not make sense because it would restrict a big area of the gamer market and I doubt Intel wants to do that.

But as I said we will probably find out soon. I wounder when the NDA will allow for some real testing and OCing so we can see if its going to be worth it or not.

I think things are getting a bit 'harsh' ... I'm with the call for a chill.

I also think picking sides and brown-nosing a Mod should be ban-able offenses. This ain't Lord of the Flies (or is it ?? - lol).

My understanding of 'netiquette' is you post no more than 4 paragraphs and provide a link to the full article with credit to author (so that a person may follow up and read the entire article if they so desire).

A mod has a tough job. We can all do better to improve the THG Forums. The public 'call-out' may have been a little excessive in this case (and threatening bans) when a courtesy PM or even a well-timed 'sticky' may have served well.

I wouldn't want to try and maintain order in this ZOO ... :pt1cable:

Direct linking of images violates intellectual property rights (and steals bandwidth) and no one has ever been called on it. Maybe this is a 'sticky' issue, too ...

I am of the opinion that Thunder's posts are intended to torque you guys and get under your skin (for what at times is an overly effusive 'representation' of the 'facts').

It's just a computer, guys (and girls). We all need to lighten up at times ...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Eagles:

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin’ ’don’t blame me’
They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else
Spend all their time feelin’ sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma’s too thin; your daddy’s too fat

Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin’ and cryin’ and pitchin’ a fit
Get over it, get over it

You say you haven’t been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if I gave you some cash
The more I think about it, old billy was right
Let’s kill all the lawyers, kill ’em tonight
You don’t want to work, you want to live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn’t owe you a thing

Get over it
Get over it
If you don’t want to play, then you might as well split
Get over it, get over it

It’s like going to confession every time I hear you speak
You’re makin’ the most of your losin’ streak
Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin’ everybody down
Complain about the present and blame it on the past
I’d like to find your inner child and kick it’s little ass

Get over it
Get over it
All this bitchin’ and moanin’ and pitchin’ a fit
Get over it, get over it

Get over it
Get over it
It’s gotta stop sometime, so why don’t you quit
Get over it, get over it

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
It's funny how people will go to great lengths to defend their favorite brand, including personal insults :sarcastic:

Intel offers popular products that many here use (including me), but because of their current popularity this forum has turned into the school playground mentality. I see all too often that posters who say anything pro AMD routinely ganged up on. I've also seen a return, to marking down of AMD posts.

uguv

Distinguished

Now granted this is on a Bloomfield 2.93ghz engineering sample, but I would guess it would also be true for the Bloomfield 2.66ghz model which is aimed at mainstream.

Maximum PC builds Nehalem

There are also some interesting overclocking features that will introduce technologies that Intel has talked about previously but we agreed not to reveal yet. Let’s just say it’s pretty cool stuff.

P.S. Turpit is generally pretty laid back. I think he just finally got sick of the Thunderman stupidity.

^You didn't see it when they were specifically marking down anyone who didn't agree with the AMD fans did you?

The only people I don't linke are those who post opinions instead of facts or those like thunderman who never add anything constructive to an thread but instead resort to insane posts of their own thoughts and why their company is better.

wisecracker, nice way to try to take a shot at me considering I am not brown nosing but tell me once when you have not seen turpit actually link proof to his arguments? Thats what I like about him because he doesn't post what he thinks like a lot of other people here but researches it and post prrof.

Its not that he post Intel positive stuff but that he post proof. If thunderman did the same thing instead of being a rabid crap mouth I would side with him too. Same goes for a lot of other people on this forum.

I find it interesting how those who don't care what company is better agree that thunderman is a FUD spreader and should be banned but those who "prefer" AMD are stating turpit was too harsh or what not.

Not true.
Myself and many others here have recommended AMD based systems where they fit the needs.
Currently I see their niche being HTPC's and budget machines.

The favorite brand on an enthusiast forum is which ever offers the greatest performance for the least price.
While it is true that AMD CPU's cost less, they do not offer the performance or overclockability of Intel's offerings.
As such, a Core 2 based system is currently the best option for most users.

No one here will gang up on anyone who prefers AMD. When posters repeatedly post false and misleading information as fact in an effort to smear which ever brand is not their favourite is when someone will get a lot of negative responses. After trying to point some posters towards the facts in to many posts, many either see them as comic relief or wonder why in the hell they have not been banned yet.