Intel's playing catch-up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Nah, he's good for a laugh once in a while, like Epsilon. Now that BM has calmed down some, we need the occasional good laugh.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Its the similar argument that occured a while ago, although the subject was BM. The final verdict was that it's not against the TOS to post FUDs, spread FUDs, and use personal opinions as facts.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yes and Intel has discouraged OCing for a very long time you can only change the multiplier on its Extreme Edition CPU's.... sound familiar ? yeah I remember that from the P4 days (didn't stop anyone I knew from OCing them....)

Of course if the performance is what it looks like on paper, I think OCing would only be for bragging rights anyway....

At any rate I doubt ASUS or DFI will suddenly drop OCing options from there line of Mobo's, if that happened there would be very little differentiation between them and the industry would be poorer for it.
I also do not believe Intel would turn its back on the OC crowd, although I would like to see all chips multiplier unlocked :( (does it cost more ? I mean honestly why the hell not ?)

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
well there is no proof that intel will restrict or allow oc'ing on there low end processors. i can see it happening and if it does they will lose most of the gaming market. i just thought it was strange that none of the review sites like toms are allowed to overclock the processor but intel is just claiming that its good at overclocking.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Nehalem,5607.html

i also noticed in this one they only mentioned Bloomfield being able to oc not Lynnfield or Havendale

im not saying that it will happen but it seems like a small chance

edit:when i think about it if nehelam destroys amd's new processor it will force the gamers in getting nehelam and if most dont oc it will force gamers to spend more money.its a smart move for intel but it will be hated by the consumers

I also do not believe Intel would turn its back on the OC crowd, although I would like to see all chips multiplier unlocked :( (does it cost more ? I mean honestly why the hell not ?)

It doesn't cost more to produce an unlocked chip... but it can lead to higher RMAs due to people frying their chips by pushing them too far. Of course, overclocking the FSB gives you more performance than overclocking the CPU multiplier anyway... so unless Intel starts locking the FSB... I wouldn't complain too much.

That article you posted from THG states they asked Intel directly about it and Intel disputed it.

Intel is of course showing off their high end just like they did with Penryn and like AMD did with Phenom (remember the 3GHz Phenoms?). This is common practice in the CPU industry.

I would doubt Intel would not allow OCing on the lower end. It may be different than it used to be but still the same in a way since the CPU clock is based on a type of MHz and a multiplier. It seems Nehalem will have it set at 133MHz with a much higher multiplier. You can up the 133MHz to say 166MHz but I don't know how well it will be.

As for Intel not allowign THG to OC, its normal practice. They wait till about a month to 2 weeks before release to whoe the CPUs power and get people excited about it.

We of course need to wait and see what happens.

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

don't believe anything you read off forum. because there's little fat 8 year old kids spreading lies all the time. im really not worried about it theirs a possibility of it happening but it will most likely not happen

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Well the RMA thing I understand, but couldn't that be solved with "By changing the rated multiplier you agree that any damage to this chip is not covered by any warrentee and is the sole responsibility of the buyer" Of course this leaves open a door for the chip pirates... (re branding chips used to be an issue) I guess its a problem with no real nice solution :(

Skywalker, I suggest you carefully read thunderman's posts. Seriously. If you can't see the forest through the trees, then you're blind.

All too little to late and a failure...AMD will have Deneb, that is backwards compatible with AM2+ Motherboards. Intel requires current Core2 users to replace their whole platform including the use of expensive DDR 3 Memory. Intel will stop overclocking on all but their High-end Chips....Enthusiasts will switch to 45nm AMD black edition CPU's.

Nehalem is a flop! Deneb has already impressed technical experts!

Support the Masters AMD! Evil must not win (Intel)!

How can you possibly read that and tell me there's even a shred of objectivity in there? That's right, you can't. He's calling Nehalem a flop and it hasn't even been released yet... and with Deneb, it's the exact opposite. Despite the fact that, again, Deneb hasn't been released yet either.

I'm all for objective information concerning both AMD and Intel. However, thunderman hasn't provided any and furthermore, he hasn't presented any sort of links to support his "argument". All he's doing is trolling and trying to start a flame war. That is why he should be banned... not because he supports AMD.

I completely forgot about chip pirates... that's probably the reason Intel introduced locked multipliers in the first place. It's easy to fool people when you only sell unboxed OEM chips.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

You are quite right. The LINKS however, are not "little fat 8 year old kids spreading lies ".

read the godam forum

Dude, thunderman is a tool. You are a tool by association if you take him seriously.

There is nothing indicating that you need an EE to OC; that's called FUD, creating fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I am not defending Thundermans post I am attacking a moderator who threatened a ban due to alleged "FUD" that wasn't really FUD. Thunderman doesn't contribute, is an AMD fanboy and is only good for a laugh. But I think turpit crossed the line and was verging on censorship. He basically said that if you post that Nehalem won't overclock unless you buy a top end extreme edition you are spreading FUD and will be banned. I took strong offense to that for a number of reasons: 1. He threatened to ban someone for saying something bad about Intel. 2. He misrepresented Thundermans argument in the threat to ban. 3. Thunderman is funny, good for comic relief, and shouldn't be banned if he limits the frequency of his posts (one funny AMD comment and out). 4. 3 of the top five posts concerning an anti Intel thread topic where written or edited by turpit. Which suggests he is trying to steer the argument to where he wants it.

One more gripe I have with him is that I asked for some information to clarify the whole EE OC vs Mainstream OCing question. His repeated response was to read the forums. Not posting a link to support his position. I did some searching and could not find anything to support his position. If he has got another thread with this discussion already taken place as a moderator isn't it his responsibility to direct the audience to the already started thread, especially if we looked but are having trouble finding it on our own. Instead he repeats search the forum, three times in fact. So rather then enlighten the tens of us who are totally dragging this thread off topic and redirect as a good moderator, he edits, threatens to ban and cusses at us to read the forums.

So my whole reason for posting was to see if turpit had a valid reason for threatening to ban Thunderman. Instead I was told to "read the godam forum."

This is the first time I thought I saw what appeared to be mod abuse on these forums, I was hoping it wasn't abuse I think I was wrong. But hey of you can throw me a link that proves that Intel will allow mainstream nehalems to be OCed then I would be totally wrong and would apologize for the previous rant.

--edit-- cleaned up some grammar

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Skywalker: a little friendly reminder: spend a little more time reading, and a little less writing. It goes a long way in getting more familiar with the forum.

If you think about it logically... then you would realize that despite locked multipliers, CPUs can still be overclocked. AMD 64s can be overclocked despite their locked multipliers and so can current mainstream processors from Intel. This is already known fact... so you shouldn't require any sort of links to prove anything.

There's nothing out there that proves Intel is going to radically change it's business model. Their extreme edition processors will still have unlocked multipliers and be sold for a premium over their mainstream processors. They may completely disable overclocking on their budget models... but even that isn't a certainty.

Thunderman is nothing but a troll. Trolls are banned on forums all the time. He posts inflammatory statements in the hopes of starting a flame war, not because he's providing any kind of factual information. As I said before, this behaviour constitutes banning on most forums on the net. (Except those set up specifically for flame wars). Turpit's "threat" may have been poorly worded, but he has every right to ban thunderman because of his trolling behaviour.

I can't believe that you actually give any credibility whatsoever to what he posts. It's FUD, it's flamebait and it's total crap. Any person with no personal bias can plainly see that.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

No, I made a statement that if thunderman continued to promote disproven FUD,which is a violation of TOS, and will be banned. Its that simple.

Now, as far as reading the forums, if you are too lazy to read, that is not my problem. The subject of this particular thread is one that has been discussed through so many threads that Ive lost count. Thundermans FUD is another subject which has been discused so many times Ive lost count. Clearly, you are not interested in reading or studying, and would rather jump blindly into the deep end. That is your prerogative, however, after years of fighting the deteriorating FUD crap on as a poster on THG, I have zero patience for reposting/linking to the work of others, when all anyone has to do is spend a little time reading.

Now, Im sorry that you feel you are so special that you shouldnt have to be botherd with something so trivial as reading. and that your time is so valuable relative to anyone else that you should have information spoon fed to you rather than having to seek it yourself, but this is not a prep school, a nursery or your parents house. This a 'familiy' forum open to everyone, and everyone gets treated the same.

If you dont like it, go elsewhere.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

I agree. I posted the same thing earlier in the thread but it seems to have been overlooked. Any processor can be overclocked at least to some degree providing that the motherboard manufacturers provide a few knobs to turn in the BIOS. However, as we have seen with the Phenom processors when the processors and chipsets get more complex more knobs are needed than was previously the case. I wouldn't be surprised if the Intel equivalent of AMD's SB750 were only available on the very high end motherboards.

Thunderman is nothing but a troll. Trolls are banned on forums all the time. He posts inflammatory statements in the hopes of starting a flame war, not because he's providing any kind of factual information. As I said before, this behaviour constitutes banning on most forums on the net. (Except those set up specifically for flame wars). Turpit's "threat" may have been poorly worded, but he has every right to ban thunderman because of his trolling behaviour.

I agree with you that Thunderman posts a lot of flame bait, but I have to say that Turpit's response has rubbed me the wrong way as well. Posting a warning to a user is all well and good if it's warranted, but was it really necessary for Turpit to edit other users' posts and insert his comments there instead of making a new post? Editing other people's messages just seems a little sketchy to me.