News Intel's Rocket Lake Blasts Off With Fewer Cores, Higher Pricing

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
You're right. There's nothing ambiguous about what you posted from Intel. PL1, PL2 and PL3 values are required to be set for Intel's Boost to work, PL3 and PL4 are optional, and turned off by default. Rather then just admit he's wrong on this one and that Intel CPU's do not come with a hard limit from Intel, he's trying to redefine the word the disabled.
I tend to agree with you ...
View: https://i.imgur.com/iUsYwdj.png

... PL3 and PL4, if there, appear to be meant to eliminate shorter power peaks or transients (I am thinking of those up to 90A capacitors on the very high end VRM's) , while PL1, PL2 and Tau are meant for longer period power requirements and we already know what that means, continuous power values north of 300W, at a minimum.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Intel priced this way due to AMDs greed and poor availability.

The i9, totally not worth it, the i7...meh. PC gaming is becoming a cancer, greed has taken over. and as long as people keep paying for this rubish and overpriced video cards, it will continue.

Keep your current PCs, dont buy into this nonsense. I wont even think about upgrading until at least 2024.

How long have you been following PC component pricing? The Greed has always been there. Then the Athlon showed up and Intel had to cut prices and compete in the MHz war with AMD to see who could get 1Ghz first. It was great for consumers. Too bad Intel went right back to their old ways once Bulldozer hit and kept prices artificially high and then added on to that with their ridiculous HEDT prices. I feel bad for anyone who bought those.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
What is killing AMD here is that they made the safe bet in early 2020 to allocate the majority of their wafers to console APUs. They could not have anticipated the huge increase in demand as a result of the human malware situation. Consoles always sell out for months after release, so even though they are low-margin products, they are a safe investment. For example, TSMC can produce 4 Vermeer CCDs for every Xbox SoC, so the difference in potential capacity is huge.

On top of that, Intel has had shortages for a long time and increased 14nm capacity significantly over the last 3 years. At the same time, more and more of Intel's sales are being shifted over to 10nm. This has probably led to a surplus in 14nm capacity as they are still in the process of transitioning their 14nm equipment to 10nm.

I am sure AMD has commitments they have to provide to Sony and Microsoft for console chips. But if developers code for their CPU and GPU on console it should help get better performance out of their PC chips too.

trance77

Commendable
Aug 28, 2020
The i5 and i7 range are actually well priced, similar to the 10th gen. The 10400F is currently on sale for £125 which is a great deal but you can get the 11400F for £150 with some free games. 11600K is £250, the same price the 10600k was for a long time, even now it is still £202. 11700 is the same price as the 5600X at £330 (though that is above MSRP of £280 because of shortages).

Reactions: Why_Me

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Supply vs demand, price vs demand, capability vs supply, and company vs company (competition, also known as market share). Unicorns vs wishful thinking.

Right now demand is outstripping supply, so if you make it you can sell it. And with this being the case it is better to concentrate on the larger profit items if possible, yet may be restricted for a number of reasons, such as prior contracts, competing manufacturing processes with the higher margin process already being maxed out so you can't just change from one process to another. And demand for what? Is it demand for item A that cost $$$$$, item B that sells for $$$, or item C that sets you back only $?

There are some people/companies that are willing to pay a higher price for the best (fastest, most instructions per watt consumed, most cores per cpu, most magic stars per box, etc), based on what they consider to be best. Cheap still sells, just walk into Wal-mart and buy a computer - not that I personally would, yet a lot of people do, and I have even suggested it to one person myself because they did not need the latest and greatest, nor do they know what they are missing out on (64 PCIe gen 4 lanes vs 28 gen 3 lanes, 1 TB SSD vs 512 GB HDD, etc). Unless you are the steering committee for the communist party of your country you are not able to dictate who is to have what, and ignore their desires or needs.

Before I go much farther let me just make one thing clear, just because something is 19% faster in Micro$oft Word does not mean you are a 19% faster typist because of it. Marketing hog wash (also known as bull sh!t) can cloud up the real issues for those not in the know, they just know they have been told it is time to upgrade their computer, not knowing that Linux is just plan better and they can still use their current computer - it still works, correct?

Market share? Really? How do we define a market, and then segment it? I found it interesting that when Mr. Walsh was the CEO of General Electric (GE) he liked seeing the different products they manufactured being in the top 5 for their market, yet would tell the people to expand the definition of the market so the products where no longer in the top five, and strive to get back into the top ranks. So GE's medical group may be ranked #1 for hot pink MRIs they need to do way with the color part of the market so they are no longer in the top position, yet make improvements to be better, maybe offering a sunburst yellow color as well. Are we talking about x86 instruction CPUs only, desktops that might now include ARM based, Apple modified, M1? Go to a small community, and look at a high school graduating class of 9 people - guess what, all of them are the top ten in their class, while only 1.1 will be in the top 10%. Market shares can be anything you want it to be.

This year the market might be for 100 units, with company A selling 86 of those units and company B selling 14. Next year the demand might rise by 10%, and company A is maxed out at only being able to produce 86 units, same as last year, while company B can meet the increase in demand and produces and sells 24 units this year. So both the market and company B's share of the market expanded this year. Next year the market drops 20%, and company B looses capacity (maybe a fire or earthquake), so while company A has not changed anything their market share changes based on something outside of their control (unless they are the ones that set the fire). So that is the market for units, what about the market of WhatMaCallIts, do-dads, or even those ThingMaJigs?

Unicorns vs wishful thinking. Really, this is an issue? Just eat a box of Lucky Charms and try pooping out a pot-of-gold, and let me know how it turns out. We do all need dreams, desires, and something to work towards. What goals have you set, and how are you getting there? Can we apply the same to the three or five largest chip manufactures, chip designers, or even chip consumers?

I have seen people fry an egg on a sidewalk on a hot summer day. I might try frying said egg on an Until CPU - it should work, shouldn't it, as the CPU will be steaming hot. We talk about how hot Until's CPUs are getting, yet will AMD be relaxing power restrictions on the next socket they introduce (I am guessing AM5, yet that is based on prior naming, not knowing what the actual name will be), and that in turn letting their chips consume more power and run hotter?

I am looking forward to a Zen 4+/5 CPU on a 5nm die, in an AM5 socket , supporting the latest generation of this or that standard. While most of us consumers are not able to take full advantage of PCIe gen 4 right now I hope that changes in the near future. The games I play (2nd most taxing thing I do with my computer) are cpu/thread bound by the OS, in this case windoze 10 and it's directX 9/11/12. The most taxing thing on my system is editing a video on occasion, and that is restricted more by my ignorance at the time I purchased the software (it does not take full advantage of all of the CPU cores and threads nor the GPU to speed things up). I am looking forward to the day Until become Intel again, and is producing consumer CPUs on a 7nm die, or smaller.

May the CPU wars begin (again).

I have seen people fry an egg on a sidewalk on a hot summer day. I might try frying said egg on an Until CPU - it should work, shouldn't it, as the CPU will be steaming hot. We talk about how hot Until's CPUs are getting, yet will AMD be relaxing power restrictions on the next socket they introduce (I am guessing AM5, yet that is based on prior naming, not knowing what the actual name will be), and that in turn letting their chips consume more power and run hotter?
The highest thermal limit you can put on an intel chip is 105 Celsius, it can be a Celeron from 20 years ago or a rocket lake they will all stop at the max Tj temp, and with only an egg as cooling fluid it will reach that temp with very little power and the hotter the egg becomes the slower the CPU will get untill everything shuts down, you need to apply a lot of cooling to make a CPU survive a lot of power draw.

The i5 and i7 range are actually well priced, similar to the 10th gen. The 10400F is currently on sale for £125 which is a great deal but you can get the 11400F for £150 with some free games. 11600K is £250, the same price the 10600k was for a long time, even now it is still £202. 11700 is the same price as the 5600X at £330 (though that is above MSRP of £280 because of shortages).
This ^^ .. the hottest item for gaming builds will be the i5 11400F and the i7 11700F paired up with B560 boards and cheap 3200MHz RAM.

This ^^ .. the hottest item for gaming builds will be the i5 11400F and the i7 11700F paired up with B560 boards and cheap 3200MHz RAM.
Except you can't really build a reasonably-priced gaming build now, due to the lack of graphics cards, and that's likely to continue for a number of months. If someone is willing to pay two to three times MSRP for a card from a reseller, they are probably not going to bother with the value-oriented parts.

By the time new gaming builds really become viable again, AMD will also likely have some value-oriented Ryzen 5000-series options on the market.

Except you can't really build a reasonably-priced gaming build now, due to the lack of graphics cards, and that's likely to continue for a number of months. If someone is willing to pay two to three times MSRP for a card from a reseller, they are probably not going to bother with the value-oriented parts.

By the time new gaming builds really become viable again, AMD will also likely have some value-oriented Ryzen 5000-series options on the market.
It's a bit of a two edged sword. Some peeps that usually spend big bucks on boards, cpu's and cpu coolers are going budget in order to put their money towards those extremely overpriced cards.