Intel's Rosepoint Puts Wi-Fi Radio, Atom CPU on Single Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
for some reason it took me a minute to realize that by wifi radio it simply meant wifi instead of a wifi radio station like I heart radio or something.... where's that coffee...

Anywho, very cool tech! One would think they would have a much easier time putting it on a northbridge instead of the CPU as there should be less interference, but maybe they will have a whole SOC for atom before long, and really be able to compete with the ARM chips on the market for cell phones and such. My contract is up in 2 years... so they better have something good and affordable by then :)

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Nice, and about time too =D

[citation][nom]guru_urug[/nom]It would be amazing if they manage to use the heatsink as a antenna[/citation]

Thats a hell of an Idea, put a patent on it and sue the crap out of intel =D j/k

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
'Intel is also looking at ways to radio antennas on-chip, too. '

Should be 'Intel is also looking at ways to put radio antennas on-chip, too. '

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
If they can put a wi-fi transceiver on a CPU, then they can put any transceiver on a CPU, I would think. How about a TV tuner, AM/FM receiver, weather band, and SW receiver, all crammed onto a CPU? I don't see why it would be difficult to open up the spectrum a little. If they can do it for the ISM band (wi-fi) then they should be able to do it for all radio communications. And why not add GPS to the CPU as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.