Intel's Sandy Bridge E-Series in Q4 2011?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
So we are living in very interesting & expensive times...There will be so many choices so soon to choose from & also the price difference will make some people think about their future overclocking,gaming pc's a whole lot differently...Some people like to try every single chipset that comes out,so I think this will be an expensive time for some...

rrmyguy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Plenty of people buy the $999 EE chips, and many have a good reason.Personally, I tihnk $300 if the sweetspot for a highend chip. Een if the LGA 2011 are $500+, I'll still consider them if they are enough of a performance boost over the LGA 1155 chips.Ask anyone who uses PCSX2 (PS2 emulator), sometimes a 4GHz i7-920 isn't enouh.[/citation]

spending $1000 on a processor so you can emulate PS2 games is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. How much is a PS2 these days??

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey rrmyguy,your the pits...A lot more people out there must know more then you,since they can game & overclock on those future cpu's & chipsets...So rrmyguy,get a life & live within hell...

alexie

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
It says that it'll be quad channel memory so there'll be 4 or 8 slots for memory. It's time to remove difference between laptop and desktop memory i think. otherwise socket 2011 mobos will be as large as 486 mobos i used with Tower cases in past. Also it's not indicated that it'll support USB 3.0, sata 6Gb and PCiExpress 3.0.
Let's wait and see..

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi alexie,I think that it will support usb 3.0 & sata 3@6GB/s,but the PCI-e 3.0 I do not know...Anyway Intel now has support for Sata 3 in the P67 & H67 chipset retail boxed mainboards & also USB 3.0 is supported within also,so I doubt whether they will go backwards....So we will have to wait until later on this year to see if PCI-e 3.0 comes out...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi teknobug...To answer your question,no it will not become obsolete...I will tell you why...LGA 1155 is what sandy bridge uses & also the future processor called ivy bridge will have a LGA 1155 socket also...Ivy bridge will be out later on this year & will be a nice upgrade to your P67,H67 chipset motherboards since these motherboards share this LGA 1155 socket pinset number also...In most cases all you have to do for the older P67,H67 motherboards is to upgrade the bios from your brand name manufacturer for the ivy bridge cpu that will be installed...

jimsocks

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
just googled it.
ivybridge is same socket as lga1155 but current boards won't support 22nm ivybridge. Siill have to buy a new motherboards.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rrmyguy[/nom]spending $1000 on a processor so you can emulate PS2 games is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. How much is a PS2 these days??[/citation]

Well, at least between 90 and 120£ (here) :p
could buy a reasonable SSD for yourself,lol

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]rrmyguy[/nom]spending $1000 on a processor so you can emulate PS2 games is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. How much is a PS2 these days??[/citation]

I certainly wouldn't spend $1000 on a CPU exclusively for this purpose, but if you haven't played PS2 games at 1920x1200 with all the texture filtering and eye candy of DX11, then you are missing out on something. The graphical improvements for some games, make it feel like you are playing the game for the first time.

lp231

Splendid
Intel's ancient s775 Q9000 series already have 12MB of L2 cache (no L3), but that is still a lot more than what Sandy Bridge has.
-Core i7 2600K only has 8MB (should be L3, but Intel say it's "smart cache").
How much "extra large cache" is Intel going to add to their Sandy Bridge E?
If it's just 12MB, in my view, I don't see that as "extra large".

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
With the hefty investment in a new LGA1155 & i5-2500k now behind me, and with it completing the tasks in almost half the time using 2/3 the wattage of the LGA775 it replaced, any change upward will have to again be justified with similar savings in electricity. This Sandy Bridge upgrade will pay for itself in about two years at my usage rate, but I have reservations that the 22nm chips can do the same.

That said; if Intel produces a six-core, 12mb L3 cache, 22nm LGA1155 CPU priced about the same as the 2600k...it might be worth it to me.
Can pigs fly yet?

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Plenty of people buy the $999 EE chips, and many have a good reason.Personally, I tihnk $300 if the sweetspot for a highend chip. Een if the LGA 2011 are $500+, I'll still consider them if they are enough of a performance boost over the LGA 1155 chips.Ask anyone who uses PCSX2 (PS2 emulator), sometimes a 4GHz i7-920 isn't enouh.[/citation]

i use a pentium dual core overclocked to 3.6ghz with a 5770 and i hardly ever see any slowdown in pcsx2

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ah geeze, I'm just a simple guy who wants a fast reliable computer to trade stocks and currency, surf the net, do my mail, chat with a few people, etc. I don't want to spend the rest of my life building a new computer every six months, not that I don't love computers and pretty shiny new RAM, swirly heat sinks and big ass coolers, etc., but there's a limit to the time, patience and money sometimes. Of course I'm not much of a gamer compared to all you maniacs out there.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
lp231 02/13/2011 4:50 AM
Hide
--1+

Intel's ancient s775 Q9000 series already have 12MB of L2 cache (no L3), but that is still a lot more than what Sandy Bridge has.
-Core i7 2600K only has 8MB (should be L3, but Intel say it's "smart cache").
How much "extra large cache" is Intel going to add to their Sandy Bridge E?
If it's just 12MB, in my view, I don't see that as "extra large".

yes but my 8mb 2600k whoops up on your "extra large" 45nm space heater

David Tingley

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]If they are Extreme editions they are going to be like the Extreme editions you see for the i7's right now which are practically at a set price of $999 for now until the day they stop selling them. ...[/citation]
Not quite a set price. In late August Intel slashed the price of the i7-950 from near $600 to less than $300. At about the same time they quietly discontinued any new i7-940 and i7-960 production. Due to the way speed binning procedures work, essentially when you buy an i7-930 now you have a chance of getting a 'golden chip' that once would have been stepped and marketed as a 940, or you may get a 960 for the reduced price of a 950. Which is why some of those 950s overclock so well, btw.
Obviously they did this because otherwise they would have had nothing even close to competing with AMD's 1075T and 1090T.
Gawd bless those Black Edition fanboys for keeping the marketplace competitive!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Not quite. The E series is basically the equivalent to LGA 1366 based Core i7s but will include 6 and 8 core CPUs to start as well as they will not have a on die GPU, its just a CPU.Also i have read that the base clock will not be on the CPU and will be on the northbridge which will allow to overclock the CPU using the base clock again.[/citation]The clock multiplier is ALREADY on the "Northbridge" with P67, and that's the reason it WON'T overclock. It won't break the ratios as would separate clock multipliers. The only way to "fix" that without moving it off the chipset would be to unlock the ratios on the chipset's clock multiplier.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Seriously, there's no reason for a CPU not to have onboard graphics. Every high end enthusiast part should have it and developers should be able to design their software to use it regardless of where the monitor is plugged in. Enthusiasts would absolutely love the massive performance boost it would provide.

alexie

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]Hi alexie,I think that it will support usb 3.0 & sata 3@6GB/s,but the PCI-e 3.0 I do not know...Anyway Intel now has support for Sata 3 in the P67 & H67 chipset retail boxed mainboards & also USB 3.0 is supported within also,so I doubt whether they will go backwards....So we will have to wait until later on this year to see if PCI-e 3.0 comes out...[/citation]
Well i know that they have support for Sata 3 and USB 3 but the quad-channel memory makes this CPUS idiotic. Because they just tried tri-channel on LGA1366 and get back to dual-channel with LGA1156 mobos. Quad-channel makes the mobo a lot bigger(and of course a lot times a lot more expensive) than recent dual-channel mobos. I just remember the picture of old Tyan mobos which can fit into special Tower cases. It's a good idea to think about quad channel memory again i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.