Intel's Sandy Bridge Getting Accelerated Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
fixed:
"Due to the very strong competition from AMD, we have accelerated our 32-nanometer factory ramp and have raised our capex (capital expenditure) guidance to enable us to meet the competitions' challenge"

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
launching it this early seems pointless. sandy bridge was supposed to be the successor to the nehalem architecture. why be making both simultaneously?

[citation][nom]crabdog[/nom]fixed:"Due to the very strong competition from AMD, we have accelerated our 32-nanometer factory ramp and have raised our capex (capital expenditure) guidance to enable us to meet the competitions' challenge"[/citation]

Hmmm, AMD reports out their Q2 earnings at 5PM today - won't be long to see if your "very strong competition from AMD" holds any water or not :p.

G

Actually, launching Sandy Bridge this year would make it on time, according to Intel's yearly tick-tock strategy:
2006 - Conroe
2007 - Penryn
2008 - Nehalem
2009 - Westmere
2010 - Sandy Bridge
2011 - Ivy Brigde

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Amusing that some still think no competition from AMD is somehow a good thing...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

banthracis

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]New CPU will use 2011 and 1155 socket so it will require a new motherboard, new cpu -> thanks no.[/citation]

Wikipedia'd it I see =D

It's not actually socket 2011. There's no official name yet, so it's being referred to as "Intel 2011(the year) socket" whoever wrote that on wikipedia just took that to mean the socket name is 2011. It's actually planned to be 1356 pins, though that's not final I think.

the_wolf88

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
WTF ?!

And as always we have to buy new mother board to support new s**t from Intel !

Done with Intel my nexy rig will be from AMD :)

[citation][nom]Nik_I[/nom]launching it this early seems pointless. sandy bridge was supposed to be the successor to the nehalem architecture. why be making both simultaneously?[/citation]
Hello people? icore was first launched in 2008. I don't consider that "young"

Given how young the Core i brand is at the moment, it's likely that Intel will continue on with its current i3, i5, and i7 naming system even with this new generation.
Pentium 3 and early pentium 4? late pentium 4 and early core 2? This is not unusual.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I know what you mean by abandoning Intel because of their motherboards. LGA775 lasted a while, but when you are picking out a processer you have to check FSB to make sure its compatible. Now they are releasing non-compatible motherboard after non-compatible motherboard. They are supporting 3 different sockets right now. Whats worse is their naming convention goes across several sockets. You have Core i7 for both the LGA1156, and LGA1366 where you have to get the right one for the right socket. With AMD its really simple, and I like that. Also AMD doesn't use those damn cheap push pins for mounting a cooler.

xx55xx

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Is Sandy Bridge also going to launch with a new chipset? I'm still on a LGA775 setup here. I avoided Nehalem because it launched shortly after I built my computer in 2008.

AMD's Fusion looks good, too.

[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]Wikipedia'd it I see =DIt's not actually socket 2011. There's no official name yet, so it's being referred to as "Intel 2011(the year) socket" whoever wrote that on wikipedia just took that to mean the socket name is 2011. It's actually planned to be 1356 pins, though that's not final I think.[/citation]

The official name is supposedly "Socket R," but it will almost certainly be called "LGA(number of contacts)" by everybody else when we know how many contacts it has. Nobody calls LGA1366 Socket B, LGA1156 Socket H, or LGA771 Socket J, and I only rarely hear LGA775 being called Socket T.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
90% or more of the ppl I see upgrade CPU also are upgrading mainboard, so the socket arguement never seems to work with me. Generally by the time a CPU revision large enough to make a real measurable difference in everyday computing, the chipset has also advanced enough to make a mainboard swap a good idea. very rarely do I see a chip-only upgrade..

Status
Not open for further replies.