News Intel's Sapphire Rapids Could Have 72-80 Cores, According to New Die Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
If 56 of its potential 80-cores were enabled at 350-Watts of power used, that is 6.25W per core, at the same clock speeds an 80-core chip would eat an astonishing 500W :eek: Toasty...

Perhaps Intel and partners decided against this, or perhaps within the 350W limit with more enabled cores they had to drop the frequency so low that it didnt perform well.

Most likely though is that they had serious issues with the yeilds AND these suck stupid amounts of power, that is a devestating combination of failure.

Perhaps intel could fix this if they even manage to get larger dies produced on their 10mn process, or perhaps better still, get Samsung or TSMC to produce these chips :devilish:

thGe17

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
... or 350 W is simply the upper regular limit for the new socket und the 56-core-version uses a higher clock instead? ;)

Serious yield issues? Most likely not, because this is only a 20 core design, therefore it is relatively small. Ice Lake SP as a XCC ist currently a monolithic 40 core design, this is something completely different.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
If 56 of its potential 80-cores were enabled at 350-Watts of power used, that is 6.25W per core, at the same clock speeds an 80-core chip would eat an astonishing 500W :eek: Toasty...
That's not how the math works. Obviously as core count increases, clocks decrease to keep power in check.

AMD Epyc 75F3 is a 32 core CPU with a 280W TDP. 8.75W per core. That's 700W for an 80 core chip. :eek: Mega Toasty!!! What on earth is AMD doing? Devastating failure.

Reactions: Memnarchon

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
That's not how the math works. Obviously as core count increases, clocks decrease to keep power in check.
Unless Intel decided to just let it rip and increase the power limit to 500W to keep the performance per core the same (notwithstanding the cooling requirements).

AMD Epyc 75F3 is a 32 core CPU with a 280W TDP. 8.75W per core. That's 700W for an 80 core chip. :eek: Mega Toasty!!! What on earth is AMD doing? Devastating failure.

We both know that the 75F3 is the balls out 32 core version that will have few sales compared to others in the line as few will actually want these types of CPU's compared to the normal line of EPYC CPU's, which were designed and BUILT with 64-cores, unlike these Intel CPU's that seemingly have a heap of cores disabled and I postulated that heat and yeild are almost certainly large factors.!

Intel on the other hand are doing exactly what AMD was FORCED to do with Bulldozer and pump up the power to just try and compete with the standard EPYC CPU's, oh how things have changed.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
the fuse.wikichip ice lake server launch article had a mesh layout diagram that showed pcie, dmi, memory controller and upi blocks as equal sized squares on the mesh grid.

It isn't clear to me if this was meant to imply that the physical sizes of those non-core blocks were equal to the size of the cores, or if it was just a logical diagram.

Any insight on if the 4x5 blocks on this leaked SPR photo are all cores, or if they could be non-core functions?

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
To me it looks as if Until is trying to do less with more - more cores, more of a price tag, more power, less performance.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
To me it looks as if Until is trying to do less with more - more cores, more of a price tag, more power, less performance.

moving from Ice Lake Server to SPR transitions pcie4 to pcie5/cxl, ddr4 to ddr5, ai vector processing to ai matrix processing, from 40 cores to 56 (or 72 or 80) cores, from Optane v2 to Optane v3, from Sunny Cove to Golden Cove cores ... all acknowledged performance increases, but, yes, expected to raise power ...

Their processing moves from 10nm to 10esf on SPR.

Looks like Intel's big assault on power comes with 7nm EUV in 2023.

They have notably demoed 224Gb PAM4 transceivers and an optical switch with co-packaged optics.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Unless Intel decided to just let it rip and increase the power limit to 500W to keep the performance per core the same (notwithstanding the cooling requirements).

Don't act stupid just to argue. Intel's current 10nm Ice Lake SP CPU's top out at 270W TDP. Sapphire Rapids is not going to top out at 500W TDP. So just drop that now.

We both know that the 75F3 is the balls out 32 core version that will have few sales compared to others in the line as few will actually want these types of CPU's compared to the normal line of EPYC CPU's, which were designed and BUILT with 64-cores, unlike these Intel CPU's that seemingly have a heap of cores disabled and I postulated that heat and yeild are almost certainly large factors.!
I used the exact same logic you did. The only difference is you're basing your calculations on an early engineering sample from Intel which makes it even more worthless.

Reactions: Memnarchon

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Don't act stupid just to argue. Intel's current 10nm Ice Lake SP CPU's top out at 270W TDP. Sapphire Rapids is not going to top out at 500W TDP. So just drop that now.
You could at least try to be polite, this is all speculation at this point.

I used the exact same logic you did. The only difference is you're basing your calculations on an early engineering sample from Intel which makes it even more worthless.

Deliberately only replying to "part" of my quote (thus misquoting me) is exactly what the press and politicians love to do, two of the most untrusted proffessions on Earth, don't be like them, be civil, be polite and we can happily speculate and discuss without getting into the gutter.!

Status
Not open for further replies.