Interesting place for a stand-off

You know that murky pond in Back O' Beyond, with the rocks in the middle of
it? Get into 3-star+ trouble and then go there to fight the law (with the
heat-seeker). Stand on one of the rocks in the middle of the pond. (Jet
pack helps.)

It's a strange place. Land vehicles drive straight into the pond, of
course. Copters often crash into the pond, partially submerged, and remain
"active". Every 30 seconds or so, they start revving up and smoking again
and either blow up again or actually take off in a cloud of black smoke.
Very interesting (and kinda spooky).

The pond is interesting in another respect, too. You can't see objects
under water until you dive -- even though it LOOKS like you can see the
bottom when you're above the water. The pond can look empty, and when you
dive, you find all those law vehicles that drove into it.

Very unusual place.

--cleve

Cleve wrote:
> You know that murky pond in Back O' Beyond, with the rocks in the middle of
> it? Get into 3-star+ trouble and then go there to fight the law (with the
> heat-seeker). Stand on one of the rocks in the middle of the pond. (Jet
> pack helps.)

That sounds interesting. Can you give directions to the location? I
forgot where back o' beyond took place.

bob

In article <3edp54F2j5ueU3@individual.net>,
Robert Latest <boblatest@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Cleve wrote:
>> You know that murky pond in Back O' Beyond, with the rocks in the middle of
>> it? Get into 3-star+ trouble and then go there to fight the law (with the
>> heat-seeker). Stand on one of the rocks in the middle of the pond. (Jet
>> pack helps.)
>
>That sounds interesting. Can you give directions to the location? I
>forgot where back o' beyond took place.

Back O' Beyond isn't a mission, it's an area on the map, just southeast of
Angel Pine.

"Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote in message
> In article <3edp54F2j5ueU3@individual.net>,
> Robert Latest <boblatest@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Cleve wrote:
>>> You know that murky pond in Back O' Beyond, with the rocks in the middle
>>> of
>>> it? Get into 3-star+ trouble and then go there to fight the law (with
>>> the
>>> heat-seeker). Stand on one of the rocks in the middle of the pond.
>>> (Jet
>>> pack helps.)
>>
>>That sounds interesting. Can you give directions to the location? I
>>forgot where back o' beyond took place.
>
> Back O' Beyond isn't a mission, it's an area on the map, just southeast of
> Angel Pine.

Right. Check the map. The place I'm talking about is that big pond just
above the two horseshoe-shaped rock structures.

--cleve

In message <4gr8l2-n55.ln1@narcissus.dyndns.org>
Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:

> Back O' Beyond isn't a mission, it's an area on the map, just southeast of
> Angel Pine.

I found it OK, very interesting site. I spent half and hour shooting
police choppers down, and most of them didn't explode until they hit
the water and I chucked a grenade in. Watching the police and FBI
ranchers flying into the water without even getting a round off and
then dying instantly is too funny to watch without losing concentration
(And aim) with the copper choppers bothering you.

It's strange, just like the magic distance which nulls the effects of a
rocket, the rocket launcher doesn't seem to blow vehicles up that are
underwater.

I haven't got any explanation for this at all.

Cheers,
Rob

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> In message <4gr8l2-n55.ln1@narcissus.dyndns.org>
> Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>
>> Back O' Beyond isn't a mission, it's an area on the map, just southeast
>> of
>> Angel Pine.
>
> I found it OK, very interesting site. I spent half and hour shooting
> police choppers down, and most of them didn't explode until they hit
> the water and I chucked a grenade in. Watching the police and FBI
> ranchers flying into the water without even getting a round off and
> then dying instantly is too funny to watch without losing concentration
> (And aim) with the copper choppers bothering you.
>
> It's strange, just like the magic distance which nulls the effects of a
> rocket, the rocket launcher doesn't seem to blow vehicles up that are
> underwater.
>
> I haven't got any explanation for this at all.

Did you notice the downed copters attempting to restart (usually the ones
that have crashed near the edge of the pond, in shallow water so that they
are partially out of the water). They beginning smoking and start revving
up, only to explode again. It's downright creepy.

Also, be sure to take a swim and dive. You'll be amazed at all the vehicles
under water. (You can't see them from above, for some reason.)

--cleve

On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:24:09 -0700,
Cleve <clevens@cox.net> wrote
in Msg. <q17ge.9602$D91.5385@fed1read01>

[very cool]

What made you cause mayhem in this spot in the first place?

bob

"Robert Latest" <boblatest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:24:09 -0700,
> Cleve <clevens@cox.net> wrote
> in Msg. <q17ge.9602$D91.5385@fed1read01>
>
> [very cool]
>
> What made you cause mayhem in this spot in the first place?

The unending search for The Best Place to do such things.

I think it's genetic. Or the evil influence of violent video games has
corrupted my mind. But clearly it's not my fault.

--cleve