Intermittent boot failure

G

I fitted an Asus P5A-B socket 7 motherboard last year running an AMD 400 K6-2 and Win 98 SE. Ive had no problems until fitting a Maxtor 13Gb IDE drive. The drive was Fdisked and formatted on the machine and ran fine for a few weeks, with Windows recognising its full capacity. However, the BIOS autodetect recently started failing to recognise the correct drive capacity although I have flashed it to the latest version, and the manual insists that it recognises large disk sizes and it can be set to LBA. If I insert the settings manually, using those provided by Maxtor for cylinders etc, the capacity of the drive is still incorrect, albeit more than the 8.5G ‘limit’. This wouldn’t matter particularly except that usually the drive now boots past the opening screens and then hangs with the message ‘Operating system not found – insert system disk’. If I then press the reset button , after 2 or 3 attempts the machine boots normally and runs fine, again with Widows recognising the correct drive capacity. Ive tried setting the CMOS to boot C,A and A,C but the same occurs. I replaced the motherboard battery when this started happening as I assumed that the CMOS memory had become scrambled. My only thought now is to remove the battery for a while to completely wipe the settings from the CMOS memory and then start from scratch by resetting the BIOS clock and other parameters etc (which I have noted). Do you think this is the best course of action, or are there any other suggestions? All advice would be gratefully received.
David
davidh@helsen.com