Question Intermittent BSOD/Crash: LiveKernelEvent Code: 144/141 and bugcheck 0x0000003b. Memory.dmp attached. Please advise.

narutoninjakid

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
I have been having a weird issue with my PC and Need some help. Ranging from a few days to 2 weeks the PC will suddenly freeze. The only thing I can do is move the mouse. No other functions work. The screen is on and whatever I was looking at is visible, but it becomes “frozen” or sometimes it will glitch and blue screen. The only way to get the PC to work again is to hard reboot by holding the power button and shutting down and then turning it back on again.

I’ve been trying to track down what the issue could be. Initially I thought it may be due to overclocking the CPU. So, I disabled all overclocking for the CPU and disabled XMP on the RAM. I have noticed when I have task manger running sometimes the freeze occurs when the GPU usage hits 100% or sometimes it will say -1%. However, what is weird is that at the time I was not gaming or doing anything GPU intensive. Just browsing or watching YouTube videos. I replaced a Gigabyte G1 Gaming OC Edition 980Ti thinking it was possibly a graphics issue since sometimes the images would distort and blue screen or items would remain frozen on the screen. However, the replacement has not resolved the issue per say and I think just bought me more time before a crash so I don’t know what the problem could be.

So far, I have tried

• Disable CPU and RAM Overclocking
  • Update Motherboard Bios
  • Reinstalled graphics Driver
  • Used DDU to completely remove graphics drivers and reinstall
  • Updated Graphics Driver to latest version from NVDIA but also AMD after using DDU to move to the new graphics card
  • Cleaning out the PC for Dust, etc
  • Installing latest windows updates
  • Ran commands (No integrity violations and no component store corruption detected after all of them)
    • Sfc /ScanNow
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
  • Replaced GPU with another one
  • Ran Memtest86+ for 8 hours and successfully had 9 passes
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic (no issues found)

So, I’m looking for help to really identify what PC part is the issue. I thought it could be the gpu so bought another, but issue still occurs randomly. Some research said it cold bee RAM but ram has been passing all the tests. Not sure if it could be software or driver related. Would someone be able to advise after looking at the Memory.dmp ? Any other ideas or has anyone seen such an issue before? Error codes are below of some of the ones i could get from the windows reliability tool.

Some images are attached on imgur. They show the GPU utilization, Reliability History Report, memtest86+ passes, and windows integrity checks.

IMGUR Link: View: https://imgur.com/a/8dtMEMw

Memory Dump/Other Dumps Link: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/quv8...ey=dfirv8zlzlfylzwmf1ma7k8ac&st=df0s90bc&dl=0

PC Specs

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technology

RAM: 2 kits of Corsair CMK16GX4M4A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4-21300) C16 Memory Kit – Black so 32GB of RAM

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X99-DELUXE (SOCKET 2011)

Old Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION ( Former Graphics Card )

New Graphics Card: XFX - SPEEDSTER SWFT210 AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 (New Graphics Card)

Power Supply:EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD, 1000W Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 120-G2-1000-XR

Monitors
DELL U3415W (3440x1440@60Hz)
LG Ultra HD (3840x2160@60Hz)

Storage
Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SATA (SSD))
Western Digital WDC WD4003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA )
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))
Western Digital WDC WD6002FZWX-00GBGB0 (SATA )

Error codes seen recently

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff807695f165d, 0xffffa903edcb4530, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 610584e3-c34c-4188-8918-2c13d2d138a6.

Another error code

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 144

Parameter 1: 1013
Parameter 2: ffffc20f1beaa9a0
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19045
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033

Error Codes I’ve Seen in Reliability History in the past

Source

Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

Parameter 1: ffff860398814460
Parameter 2: fffff806767d4f3c
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I wasn't able to go through the file using WinDbg.

Where did you source the installer for the OS? You've tried most things save for reinstalling the OS after recreating the bootable USB installer to rule out a corrupt OS installation. As for your EVGA PSU, how old is the unit at this point?

Update Motherboard Bios
BIOS version for your motherboard?

Try and remove all storage drives from the build except the one meant for your OS, see if the hiccups persist.

narutoninjakid

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
I wasn't able to go through the file using WinDbg.

Where did you source the installer for the OS? You've tried most things save for reinstalling the OS after recreating the bootable USB installer to rule out a corrupt OS installation. As for your EVGA PSU, how old is the unit at this point?

Update Motherboard Bios
BIOS version for your motherboard?

Try and remove all storage drives from the build except the one meant for your OS, see if the hiccups persist.

Was years ago, but Windows was installed via windows ISO media creation tool.

PSU was bought in 2015

Bios version is 4101 which is the latest I was able to find on ASUS website.

ubuysa

Distinguished
It's not usual to upload a full kernel dump unless we ask for it, you'd be better off uploading the minidumps found in C:\Windows\Minidumps.

Those live kernel events will have written dumps in the C:\Windows\LiveKernelEvents folder. Please upload the dumps you find in there (or in sub-folders).

I think it's clear from some of the images you posted that this is a hardware problem, rather than software or drivers. From the basic info in that 0x3B BSOD and the 0xC0000005 exception code with it I would fist suspect RAM. I'm not a big fan of Memtest86+ so for me your RAM is still suspect.

Since you have 8 RAM sticks installed (in two kits) I would suggest removing one kit (of 4 sticks) and running on just one kit for a week or two. Then swap the kits over, ensuring that the 4 RAM sticks are in the correct slots according to the motherboard manual. You need to run on one kit for long enough to have normally had a failure. This is the most reliable way to test whether RAM is the problem.

I may know more when I can see those dumps.

Reactions: narutoninjakid

narutoninjakid

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
It's not usual to upload a full kernel dump unless we ask for it, you'd be better off uploading the minidumps found in C:\Windows\Minidumps.

Those live kernel events will have written dumps in the C:\Windows\LiveKernelEvents folder. Please upload the dumps you find in there (or in sub-folders).

I think it's clear from some of the images you posted that this is a hardware problem, rather than software or drivers. From the basic info in that 0x3B BSOD and the 0xC0000005 exception code with it I would fist suspect RAM. I'm not a big fan of Memtest86+ so for me your RAM is still suspect.

Since you have 8 RAM sticks installed (in two kits) I would suggest removing one kit (of 4 sticks) and running on just one kit for a week or two. Then swap the kits over, ensuring that the 4 RAM sticks are in the correct slots according to the motherboard manual. You need to run on one kit for long enough to have normally had a failure. This is the most reliable way to test whether RAM is the problem.

I may know more when I can see those dumps.

Thank you for the info. I have uploaded the Minidumps in the Dropbox link below.

I was looking for the livekernel events you mentioned ( C:\Windows\LiveKernelEvents) , I don't have that folder. I have a ( C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports) folder. Is that the same thing ? Inside that folder there are several folders. I see the latest one is a folder called USBXHCI. Should i upload the contents of that or one of the other folders? Images attached. Please let me know. Thank you.

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/quv8...ey=dfirv8zlzlfylzwmf1ma7k8ac&st=df0s90bc&dl=0

ubuysa

Distinguished
My mistake, sorry, it is LiveKernelReports. There's no need to upload any of those however, from the minidumps this looks almost certainly to be down to bad RAM. You have a collection of different bugchecks, many with 0xC000005 exceptions (invalid memory reference). You have a couple of dumps with nt!ST_STORE_SM_TRAITS function calls - these are often down to bad RAM. In addition there are 0xC00002C4 exceptions in both - this is a 'system file corruption' error, in this case probably for a RAM cached file, although one other dump does fail during NTFS processing so we can't yet discount a storage drive. The other good evidence for bad RAM is an image mismatch...
Code:
*** WARNING: Check Image - Checksum mismatch - Dump: 0x18e1f9, File: 0x18e351 - C:\SymCache\BTHport.sys\97267468187000\BTHport.sys
This indicates that the RAM cached copy of a system file is corrupt (BTHport.sys in this case).

Bad RAM is the single most likely cause of all these BSODs. I'm not a big fan of Memtest86+ TBH so it passing several tests doesn't hold much water for me. I can that you have 32GB of RAM installed and I'm hoping that this is in two 16GB sticks? (Normally I can tell from the dump but that structure isn't included in these minidumps).
  • Are both sticks exactly the same part number?
  • Were they bought as a kit (a matched pair)?
Try removing one RAM stick for a couple of weeks (check with the motherboard manual that the remaining stick is in the correct slot). I know this may cause RAM bottlenecks but troubleshooting is rarely fun. After two weeks swap sticks and run with just the other stick for a couple of weeks. This really is the only truly reliable way of identifying a flaky RAM stick.

Reactions: narutoninjakid

narutoninjakid

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
My mistake, sorry, it is LiveKernelReports. There's no need to upload any of those however, from the minidumps this looks almost certainly to be down to bad RAM. You have a collection of different bugchecks, many with 0xC000005 exceptions (invalid memory reference). You have a couple of dumps with nt!ST_STORE_SM_TRAITS function calls - these are often down to bad RAM. In addition there are 0xC00002C4 exceptions in both - this is a 'system file corruption' error, in this case probably for a RAM cached file, although one other dump does fail during NTFS processing so we can't yet discount a storage drive. The other good evidence for bad RAM is an image mismatch...
Code:
*** WARNING: Check Image - Checksum mismatch - Dump: 0x18e1f9, File: 0x18e351 - C:\SymCache\BTHport.sys\97267468187000\BTHport.sys
This indicates that the RAM cached copy of a system file is corrupt (BTHport.sys in this case).

Bad RAM is the single most likely cause of all these BSODs. I'm not a big fan of Memtest86+ TBH so it passing several tests doesn't hold much water for me. I can that you have 32GB of RAM installed and I'm hoping that this is in two 16GB sticks? (Normally I can tell from the dump but that structure isn't included in these minidumps).
  • Are both sticks exactly the same part number?
  • Were they bought as a kit (a matched pair)?
Try removing one RAM stick for a couple of weeks (check with the motherboard manual that the remaining stick is in the correct slot). I know this may cause RAM bottlenecks but troubleshooting is rarely fun. After two weeks swap sticks and run with just the other stick for a couple of weeks. This really is the only truly reliable way of identifying a flaky RAM stick.

I really appreciate your time and effort. I have 32 GB of ram. They are Corsair Vengeance LPX modules. I have 8 slots. They each have a 4GB stick of RAM. The two kits were 16GB kits by corsair. So each kit came with 4 X 4GB sticks. I bought 1 kit initially and then added another 2 years later. They were the same model and speed rating but maybe that is still an issue?

Will look into testing the kits separately as you advised. Would buying a new 32gb kit in 1 set resolve this? So 1 set 4 X 8Gb modules and only use 4 slots. I have an Asus x99 deluxe motherboard with 8 slots.

Colif

Win 11 Master
They were the same model and speed rating but maybe that is still an issue?
sticks in sets are only tested to run with sticks in that set. More untested sticks you put together, the more chance of errors.
Intel CPU can normally handle it better than say an AMD system would.
Mismatched sets can work, I have helped someone with 8x16gb that were 4 sets put together but its not guaranteed to work.