Question Intermittent Crashes - Kernel PnP at Fault?

Lumberjack88

Prominent
Dec 21, 2022
I've built my Windows 11 PC system a while ago and never encountered intermittent crashing problems until a few days ago.

When the crash happens, my two monitors go black and the fans star spinning with maximum RPM. If I don't do anything, this state can persist for hours. I have to manually force a shutdown with the I/O button and only then do I get a proper restart. The PC still does its tasks in the background, i.e. I can hear the audio of the youtube video that I was watching before the crash, but the two displays don't react anymore.

The latest crash was today, the CPU and GPU were nowhere near full capacity (I was just browsing youtube) and the temperatures couldn't have been that high since the PC was running maybe 10-15 minutes and I have a lot of fans plus a big AIO cooler for the CPU. When I consult Windows Event Viewer, these are teh critical or warning events that happened right before the crash;

Error (Event ID (6008), Task Category (None)) Event Log: The previous system shutdown at 10:53:11 PM on ‎9/‎9/‎2024 was unexpected.

Critical (Event ID (41), Task Category (63)) Kernel Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Warning (Event ID (219), Task Category(212)) Kernel-PnP: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WINDOWSHELLOFACESOFTWAREDRIVER\0000.

I also get this error from time to time, but I don't think it's causing this crash as it appears a couple of times over a few hours:

Error (Event ID (1796), Task Category (None)) TPM-WMI: The Secure Boot update failed to update a Secure Boot variable with error Secure Boot is not enabled on this machine.. For more information, please see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2169931

I never used secure boot, do I have to update it now manually so that this message doesn't appear anymore?

Also, is there any other file that I could provide that would give me more insight into what happened before the crash?

Do you guys happen to know what's causing these crashes? Is it maybe buggy fan control software, or a damaged GPU PSU cable?

Here are my system specifications:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Vision D Firmware 17 (1 year old firmware, current firmware has AGESA updates for the CPU)

CPU: AMD 5950X

RAM: G-Skill Trident Z NEO 3600MHz 4x16GB

GPU: MSI 4090 Suprim X (latest NVidia driver update)

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-1000

Case: Corsair 5000T (13 x Corsair SP120 fans)

Fan Control Software: Corsair iCue (latest update)