[SOLVED] Intermittent internet issues

Feb 14, 2021
Hello, I'd really love some help with my problem. It has been very frustrating and I'm not sure what else to do. Apologies if poor formatting, I am writing this on a phone since I'm struggling to get consistent internet in my apartment. I have been trying to fix this for days and even had a technician from my is come to fix it and I'm still having issues.

My current networking gear.

Asus GT-AX11000 Router with latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_45989)
Arris S33 Modem (approved router for spectrum)
Spectrum is ISP

I use spectrum internet, and we have been using them for a long time with very few issues in our case. I did get new equipment about 2 months ago but had no issues with my system until this last Friday. Essentially the internet will work fine for a few minutes (sometimes longer, sometimes less) then drop out for a few minutes. Sometimes the Modem indicates that it's searching for and upstream/downstream signal when it drops, sometimes the router indicates it's not getting internet and sometimes both show they are having issues when it happens but not always. By drop, I mean nothing connected to the router gets internet. It will often come back in without having to do anything but as a student it's very challenging to do homework with it dropping in and out.

I have tried all of the things I could think of. I switched out all the cables I was using. I made sure everything was tight. Unplugged everything for a while and plugged it back in. I tried going back to default settings, nothing I did was fixing it so I called Spectrum and they sent a technician this morning. The technician was very nice but was unable to find any likely issues. He replaced the line to our apartment, and basically all the likely connections where issues occur. And everywhere told him he was getting a good signal.

I did try to use their supplied Modem as well to check and after in finishing turning on, all the lights stay static blue and my router doesn't get any signal or anything from it.

I'm just confused because it was running super well and now it isn't and has just been super frustrating. The technician said he couldn't explain or figure out exactly what the issue is.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I'd be ever grateful!

Solution
You do better with the formatting than I do with a computer :)

I would first check the log in your modem. If the modem is resync itself it got a fairly bad error. You will always see a small number of errors in modem log but if you see something like a sync error or a bunch of no ranging in a short time there is a issue.

You could also check the signal levels but if the ISP has already been out and says they are good then it is hard to say. Poor cabling generally is the cause of your problem. I guess it depends on where they tested to. You can still have error and packet loss when it is due to some problem with the ISP equipment. This is not as easy for them to see especially if you can't detect it by running a ping...
You do better with the formatting than I do with a computer :)

I would first check the log in your modem. If the modem is resync itself it got a fairly bad error. You will always see a small number of errors in modem log but if you see something like a sync error or a bunch of no ranging in a short time there is a issue.

You could also check the signal levels but if the ISP has already been out and says they are good then it is hard to say. Poor cabling generally is the cause of your problem. I guess it depends on where they tested to. You can still have error and packet loss when it is due to some problem with the ISP equipment. This is not as easy for them to see especially if you can't detect it by running a ping to the first ISP router. This should be the ip for hop 2 you see in a tracert. You would think the ISP would see everytime your equipment goes through the resync process and know that is a a problem when it wasn't caused by a power on.

I am not sure if you have 1 or 2 cable modems. You can't in general just switch those around. Most times they only have 1 marked as active on their system at a time. You can call and they will switch it if you want.

Next you most times must reboot a cable modem everytime you change what is plugged into it. They tend to lock to the very first mac address they see after a power cycle.

The only other thing I can think of is 2.5g ports have a history of strange problems at least on pc. The router you could look for the newest firmware but the modem the ISP likely has already upgraded it to the patch level they prefer. Plugging the PC directly into the modem should also be a valid way to see if it is the port. Most problems were about a year ago and they have the drivers for the 2.5g stuff a lot more stable.

Solution