Intermittent loss of Network Connection

I have recently started to encounter problems with my broadband (wireless)
internet connection. Every few minutes my browser fails to display the
requested page, and I get the messages “The page cannot be displayed” on
screen and “Cannot find server” on the title bar of the browser. Other
Internet applications (e.g. Outlook) also cannot connect to the internet.
I can however, connect to the network gateway and log on as administrator
while the problem is occurring.

The problem only last a short time, and I can usually resume my work soon
afterwards. It’s very annoying though, and I’ve no idea why it has started
to happen.

The hardware involved is a laptop running XP Home, with an Intersil PRISM
Wireless LAN PCI Card. I also use a Netgear Wireless ADSL Modem Gateway,
model DG824M. I also have WEP enabled.
I’ve had this kit for over a year now, and it worked perfectly until a
month or so ago. I’ve reinstalled XP, scanned for pests and I regularly
scan for viruses. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Colin

Al

Has anything changed either with your laptop or your router? Any config
changes? What about physical changes (e.g. that might affect the
antenna)...

"bainsy" <colincbain1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have recently started to encounter problems with my broadband (wireless)
> internet connection. Every few minutes my browser fails to display the
> requested page, and I get the messages "The page cannot be displayed" on
> screen and "Cannot find server" on the title bar of the browser. Other
> Internet applications (e.g. Outlook) also cannot connect to the internet.
> I can however, connect to the network gateway and log on as administrator
> while the problem is occurring.
>
> The problem only last a short time, and I can usually resume my work soon
> afterwards. It's very annoying though, and I've no idea why it has started
> to happen.
>
> The hardware involved is a laptop running XP Home, with an Intersil PRISM
> Wireless LAN PCI Card. I also use a Netgear Wireless ADSL Modem Gateway,
> model DG824M. I also have WEP enabled.
> I've had this kit for over a year now, and it worked perfectly until a
> month or so ago. I've reinstalled XP, scanned for pests and I regularly
> scan for viruses. Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Colin

Can't think of any changes to laptop or router.

However, some further developments - if I hard-wire the connection from my
ADSL Modem/gateway via the ethernet adapter, I still get the same problem.
Does this put the wireless link in the clear?

Also, I dug out my old Alcatel USB Speedtouch ADSL modem and this also
exhibits the symptoms, but on a far less frequent basis.

One thing that is common to the problem, whether its wireless, ethernet or
USB - if I leave my laptop connected to the internet but go off and don't
touch the machine for some time, upon return the connection's always
screwed. Does an ADSL line drop the connection like a dial up? Can it be
my BT ADSL line? Maybe I should get BT to check my line.