Question Intermittent no-POST + disable iGPU doesn't stick - ASRock X670E Pro RS + 7950X3D + 4090: How to solve?

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I have built a new system with X670E Pro RS, Ryzen9 7950X3D and Gigabyte 4090. I have 2 very serious problems that I can't solve:

1. I can't disable iGPU. When I put iGPU to "disabled", then save and exit BIOS, the setting for iGPU doesn't stick! It works on the first boot (Windows Device Manager doesn't list the iGPU), but it resets from "Disabled" to "UMA_AUTO" after every restart! I tried with "detect discreet display" enabled and disabled - it doesn't make a difference. I have "prefer external GPU" set as well.

2. Often the PC doesn't post - the lights/fans are on but all monitors are black and there is no BIOS/POST screen or cursor, even if I wait for several minutes there's nothing. Monitor's backlight turns on but then I see "no signal" and they go to sleep. Pressing Reset 2-3 times gets me a cursor and normal POST, after which the PC is working perfectly. Also, the screens often don't wake up after a wake-up from sleep - the displays stay black. Only hard reset helps.

I have used the same 4090 for a couple of months in a previous system and it worked perfectly with no such problems. So it's not the GPU. I have updated BIOS twice and I'm now on the latest 1.24.AS02. PC is passing all stress tests (CPU and memory) running for ours, so it's not RAM or any CPU settings (I also tried running stock settings on both - same problems). When it's working, it runs perfectly stable. I think something's fishy with the display detection: when I get the POST screen, it is randomly coming on any one of my 3 monitors. I suspect that often it doesn't detect any monitors (or doesn't wait long enough) and then I have black screens and no POST, and maybe it also re-enables the iGPU settings. But again, GPU is fine, tested on the previous PC. The PSU is 1250W and also used on the previous PC and is perfectly fine. I don't get any beeps when I have no POST.

I don't know what else to try. This is extremely annoying: it takes me 10 minutes sometimes just to turn on my PC. Then if it sleeps and the monitors don't wake up, I have to hard reset which can't be good and can result in OS corruption. I also don't want iGPU using my RAM and want to disable it permanently. Having it on results in a known bug: it's Gigabyte Control Center doesn't see the 4090 GPU at all and can't do anything. If I actually enable iGPU and install Adrenaline drivers, they conflict with NVidia drivers and Windows just crash. Also a known bug. Leaving only a single monitor running doesn't solve the problem.

I built a top-of-the-line PC expecting it to work, but it's a minor disaster so far.

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
BIOS would let him select igpu only because it can't detect the 4090. Maybe worth reseating the card and making sure its not sagging.
It's not that it "lets me select iGPU", it's that when I select "iGPU Disablet" it usually resets it back to "UMA_AUTO" after the next restart. It's interesting that sometimes it apparently sets it back to "disabled" again, but it happens randomly. Mostly it's reset to "UMA_AUTO". It looks like the BIOS actually remembers the setting but maybe it resets it to back iGPU because it doesn't detect the main GPU for some reason. It was installed on the riser cable initially, but I removed it and installed it on the motherboard directly, with the special support that comes with the motherboard preventing it from sagging. So the problem is the same with a riser cable or direct, which virtually rules out the contact problem. The problem does revolve around GPU detection I think... It's possible than when it doesn't post at all, it can't see any display, or maybe defaults to iGPU which is not connected. Though I'd expect it to boot into Windows so I'd see the HD led working, and fans stopping on idle load, which is not the case.

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Need to confirm the igpu get an image when you get a black screen. Also when it boots both igpu and dgpu should work once windows boots.
Interesting suggestion. I will plug one of my monitors into iGPU and see. The problem is that I do need to disable it, because installing Windows AMD Radeon drivers when I have NVidia drivers on the same system instantly crashes Windows. This is not just my PC, but some reviewers have noted this as well. So while it may help with the diagnostics, the iGPU needs to be disabled anyway.

zx128k

Reputable
Just want to confirm the system does boot using the igpu. The way I troubleshoot is start at the physical layer and work up. There is clearly something not right here. Could be a BIOS bug, so email the motherboard manufacture support and ask them about it. Could be awhile before you hear back.

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Just want to confirm the system does boot using the igpu. The way I troubleshoot is start at the physical layer and work up. There is clearly something not right here. Could be a BIOS bug, so email the motherboard manufacture support and ask them about it. Could be awhile before you hear back.
Well, it doesn't solve the problem. I enabled iGPU and connected one of my monitors there. I get the initial POST screen there, when it works. But the next day, I got blank screens again. And also, once after sleep it didn't wake up (black screens, lights and fans working).

ASRock support said they can't reproduce the problem and the settings sticks with them. They suggested I reflash the BIOS, taking out the battery and resettings everything. I can do that, but somehow I doubt it will help...

zx128k

Reputable
There is 100% something wrong. What PSU do you have? Try changing the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy/CSM.

Was power cables here

View: https://youtu.be/sW2975-gLDo

Try disabling fastboot, also use another displayport cable is an option.
First I checked for an update using the nvidia tool and I executed the tool within the Win 11 Pro OS. I found the fix was already applied. Next, working with Puget we discovered that going into Bios to slow down the on screen boot up messages was all that was needed to get this fixed. My computer was too fast in booting so the brief boot up messages disappeared so quickly that I was, almost immediately, into Windows loading

Sometimes there is an is were the GPU works on the HDMI and not with the display port.

View: https://youtu.be/RxFbvNFFlmg

The real reason for this problem is sense pins ( Sence 0 sense 01) loosing ground connections. the sense pins are super tiny and fragile and can easily disconnet . The power pins are fine. sense pins are stupidly designed by an amateur engineer.

Last edited:

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
What PSU do you have?
Cooler Master MWE Gold 1250 V2 Fully Modular, 1250W. It worked fine on a previous version of the PC (ASUS Prime board with 5800X) and the same 4090 GPU. New parts are MB/CPU/RAM/one of NVMes, so basically a new PC but power-wise nothing too different (especially at boot).

When I have black screens on first start - the GPU fans light up and rotate full speed, and so are all other case fans (case, AIO), so the problem on the second video is not my case. I have now 1 monitor connecter to HDMI, and 2 to DP, and there are still black monitors on first start. So it's not exactly that it just disregards the GPU and goes to iGPU, it really doesn't POST. What's very interesting is that if I shut down and then start after a few seconds, or a minute - it starts up OK. But if I leave it for the night and start it up the next morning, it will always (or almost always) fail to POST. But after the first time it's usually fine. I also had problems waking up with black screens after sleep a few times (but not always). And I think a couple of restarts had the problem too, though most restarts are fine. But almost every cold start after the night is a failure.

I will try disabling FastBoot and change UEFI to Legacy, thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: zx128k

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
The first video is not exactly my case either, because even if I wait 5 or 10 minutes, the screens stay black - so it's not just a missing POST screen while the system is booting. It's not posting. I know it's not booting to Windows with black screens either, because after it boots normally - the fans spin down and some of them stop (GPU, extra intake and exhaust fans, that's the way I set them up). And when I have the black screens the fans just keep spinning indefinitely. So it's not booting invisibly, it's really failing to POST. Also, 2 red LEDs that go out when booting successfully stay lit when the post fails. BTW I get no error beeps at all. This ASRock board is weird with beeps, because usually there is no single short beep on boot, though on some occasions there is. I'm not sure when it's beeping and when not, because most successful boots go without beep.

Reactions: zx128k

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Interesting, after I enabled CSM+Legacy and disabled Fastboot, the next boot I got a beep and a straight boot into windows without seeing any POST info, like in the second video. But after a shutdown and cold start I got the POST screen as normal. I will have to run this setup for a few days to see if it starts up properly every time, including in the morning.

I'm talking about red lights on the motherboard, the GPU is not flashing them and has power. MB has them lit up, then going out when boot is normal (as described in the manual), but when it's not posting, 2 reds stay on. They indicate Memory and GPU but I don't think that's what they mean. It's just stuck on POSTing for some reason. They are always lit up at that point, though they go out when POST proceeds normally.

zx128k

Reputable

NVIDIA GPU UEFI Firmware Update Tool​

Updated 11/18/2022 10:40 AM

NVIDIA GPU UEFI Firmware Update Tool

To ensure compatibility with certain UEFI SBIOSes, an update to the NVIDIA GPU firmware may be required. Without the update, graphics cards in certain motherboards that are in UEFI mode could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads. This update should only be applied if blank screens are occurring on boot.

Click here to download the NVIDIA GPU UEFI Firmware Update Tool v1.2.

The NVIDIA GPU Firmware Update Tool will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.

If you are currently experiencing a blank screen, please try one of the following workarounds in order to run the tool:
  • Ensure you are using the latest SBIOS from your motherboard vendor
  • Change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy/CSM
  • Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary card or integrated graphics)
  • After powering on your system, wait for your operating system to load with the graphics driver installed
Once you have the tool downloaded, please run the tool and follow the on-screen instructions. Ensure all apps are closed before running the tool and make sure no OS updates are pending in the background. This tool can be used with Founders Edition as well as partner cards.

Applicable Products
GeForce RTX 4090, GeForce RTX 4080

This is were I got the change UEFI to Legacy/CSM solution. Try changing back to UEFI and see if the issue returns. I think I remember enabling UEFI for re-bar to enable in GPU-z. Legacy/CSM will likely disable re-bar in GPU-z.

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I think I remember enabling UEFI for re-bar to enable in GPU-z.
Yes, you're correct. GPU-Z shows Resizable Bar disabled now (it was enabled). Maybe I should flash the update tool, though I have a Gigabyte 4090, not directly NVidia...

Update: the flash tool shows "already updated".

Last edited:
May 18, 2023
I have built a new system with X670E Pro RS, Ryzen9 7950X3D and Gigabyte 4090. I have 2 very serious problems that I can't solve:

1. I can't disable iGPU. When I put iGPU to "disabled", then save and exit BIOS, the setting for iGPU doesn't stick! It works on the first boot (Windows Device Manager doesn't list the iGPU), but it resets from "Disabled" to "UMA_AUTO" after every restart! I tried with "detect discreet display" enabled and disabled - it doesn't make a difference. I have "prefer external GPU" set as well.

2. Often the PC doesn't post - the lights/fans are on but all monitors are black and there is no BIOS/POST screen or cursor, even if I wait for several minutes there's nothing. Monitor's backlight turns on but then I see "no signal" and they go to sleep. Pressing Reset 2-3 times gets me a cursor and normal POST, after which the PC is working perfectly. Also, the screens often don't wake up after a wake-up from sleep - the displays stay black. Only hard reset helps.

I have used the same 4090 for a couple of months in a previous system and it worked perfectly with no such problems. So it's not the GPU. I have updated BIOS twice and I'm now on the latest 1.24.AS02. PC is passing all stress tests (CPU and memory) running for ours, so it's not RAM or any CPU settings (I also tried running stock settings on both - same problems). When it's working, it runs perfectly stable. I think something's fishy with the display detection: when I get the POST screen, it is randomly coming on any one of my 3 monitors. I suspect that often it doesn't detect any monitors (or doesn't wait long enough) and then I have black screens and no POST, and maybe it also re-enables the iGPU settings. But again, GPU is fine, tested on the previous PC. The PSU is 1250W and also used on the previous PC and is perfectly fine. I don't get any beeps when I have no POST.

I don't know what else to try. This is extremely annoying: it takes me 10 minutes sometimes just to turn on my PC. Then if it sleeps and the monitors don't wake up, I have to hard reset which can't be good and can result in OS corruption. I also don't want iGPU using my RAM and want to disable it permanently. Having it on results in a known bug: it's Gigabyte Control Center doesn't see the 4090 GPU at all and can't do anything. If I actually enable iGPU and install Adrenaline drivers, they conflict with NVidia drivers and Windows just crash. Also a known bug. Leaving only a single monitor running doesn't solve the problem.

I built a top-of-the-line PC expecting it to work, but it's a minor disaster so far.
I had same problem with 7800x3d, 2 days ago there was an update for the BIOS which fixed my problem.....................https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x670e-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/

zx128k

Reputable
ROG STRIX X670E-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 1415

Version 1415

9.21 MB 2023/05/16

"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. Memory QVL amended to account for AMD 1.3V SoC voltage limit.
4. EXPO/XMP prompt notice removed.

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SX670EF.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."
CPU-z can show you your current BIOS version. Version 1415 is the last I could see on the website (link in last post, may not be your exact motherboard). The last post is good news as this could be fixable. Your first post implied your BIOS was upgrade to the latest.

Make sure if you do any bios flashing its the correct BIOS or component will be bricked.

There is also BIOS updates for the Gigabyte 4090 example here. Be 100% should the BIOS is for your card. The BIOS update in this case states "Increase compatibility".

Last edited:

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Make sure if you do any bios flashing its the correct BIOS or component will be bricked.

There is also BIOS updates for the Gigabyte 4090 example here. Be 100% should the BIOS is for your card. The BIOS update in this case states "Increase compatibility".
Before posting here I already updated my GPU to the latest BIOS (F2 from October, just checked, nothing new since then). I also updated the motherboard BIOS as soon as the new one was out, and went through 3 versions. Same problem with all of them. MB BIOS is also the latest, from my 10th: 1.24.AS02 AGESA 1.0.0.7

I had same problem with 7800x3d, 2 days ago there was an update for the BIOS which fixed my problem..
Well, let's hope ASRock will issue the new BIOS soon...

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
This is were I got the change UEFI to Legacy/CSM solution. Try changing back to UEFI and see if the issue returns. I think I remember enabling UEFI for re-bar to enable in GPU-z. Legacy/CSM will likely disable re-bar in GPU-z.
Nope, after one hour off, I got no POST again with Legacy boot. Twice. So that didn't help. I now disabled XMP profile on RAM and let it run on default 4800Mhz. We'll see if that does anything... On the positive side, last BIOS flash seems to help the "iGPU doesn't stick" issue. So far it stuck for the second day to day through multiple restarts. I know because the second Display Adapter device didn't show up and Gigabyte Control Center loads fine now. It's just the cold start issue that's left, hopefully. It's so weird. Shutdown and immediate restart is fine. But after a while it doesn't want to POST, it takes one or two Reset button pushes...

zx128k

Reputable
Really is annoying, starting to head towards swapping out parts.

If you have any USB drives connected remove them and see if that helps post. Also bad RAM could do this as well. Running a test my help or just trying one stick at a time. Overclocking issues can cause that as well. PSU could be another posible cause.

Standard troubleshoot here

I would try resetting CMOS and see if that helps. Most of the time this happens automatically after flashing the BIOS.

Last edited:

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Also bad RAM could do this as well.
I tried disabeling "memory context resture" option to force it to train the RAM every boot. Hot boots are now longer, but work fine as before, but in 2 cold boots since then I got the same result: Everything powers on, then I hear 3 beeps (memory error), then it auto-reboots and then boots normally into windows, with POST screen missing entirely (both GPU and iGPU ports are connected to monitors, so POST screen is definitely missing).

It does hint on 2 possible causes I think: bad RAM or buggy BIOS. Because it only happens during cold starts (after at least 1 hour of downtime) but then it works fine, and no problems during many hours of work or stress-testing, I don't really think the RAM is bad. It's an expensive RAM ($400+) and past the return date, so swapping RAM is not something that I'm looking forward too, and I don't have spare to test with. I can test with a single stick though. BIOS may have a compatibility issue with this RAM or just a general bug with initializing RAM. This also happens when RAM is in default mode (no XMP).

I already reset the BIOS (even with disconnecting PSU and taking out the battery for 10 minutes). Though when I plugged everything back, BIOS was reset but my saved presets were still there. So not sure if it was fully reset after all. But it did help with the "iGPU disable not sticking" issue - now I have a stable iGPU disabled system. This BIOS does seem buggy though... So maybe it's not RAM?

zx128k

Reputable
I tried disabeling "memory context resture" option to force it to train the RAM every boot. Hot boots are now longer, but work fine as before, but in 2 cold boots since then I got the same result: Everything powers on, then I hear 3 beeps (memory error), then it auto-reboots and then boots normally into windows, with POST screen missing entirely (both GPU and iGPU ports are connected to monitors, so POST screen is definitely missing).

It does hint on 2 possible causes I think: bad RAM or buggy BIOS. Because it only happens during cold starts (after at least 1 hour of downtime) but then it works fine, and no problems during many hours of work or stress-testing, I don't really think the RAM is bad. It's an expensive RAM ($400+) and past the return date, so swapping RAM is not something that I'm looking forward too, and I don't have spare to test with. I can test with a single stick though. BIOS may have a compatibility issue with this RAM or just a general bug with initializing RAM. This also happens when RAM is in default mode (no XMP).

I already reset the BIOS (even with disconnecting PSU and taking out the battery for 10 minutes). Though when I plugged everything back, BIOS was reset but my saved presets were still there. So not sure if it was fully reset after all. But it did help with the "iGPU disable not sticking" issue - now I have a stable iGPU disabled system. This BIOS does seem buggy though... So maybe it's not RAM?
You have issues training the memory if the BIOS gives 3 beeps for memory error. What happens with my BIOS is the RAM will fail to train and then the BIOS will reduce the RAM speed to jedec. This will allow the system to boot.

Check the RAM is at the rated speed in CPU-z and run a memory test like TestMem5 or prime 95 large ffts. If the RAM is not running at its rated speed it could be stable but the issue happens when you shutdown and the BIOS loads the RAM config at its rated higher speed.

Once the RAM down clocks you boot fine but this isn't saved by the BIOS. So you are fine so long as you don't turn the PC off. This is just a guess on my part.

Asrock Beep Codes: 3 Long Beeps

ASRock beep codes are short, audible codes that indicate a problem with your computer’s hardware or BIOS. These codes are used to help diagnose and troubleshoot hardware issues.

One of the most common ASRock beep codes is three long beeps. This code indicates a problem with your computer’s memory. If you hear this beep code, checking your computer’s memory for errors is important. You can reinstall the memory properly.

Also, ensure only one PCIe module is installed in each slot to verify the memory with the problem.

romandesign

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
You have issues training the memory if the BIOS gives 3 beeps for memory error. What happens with my BIOS is the RAM will fail to train and then the BIOS will reduce the RAM speed to jedec. This will allow the system to boot.

Check the RAM is at the rated speed in CPU-z and run a memory test like TestMem5 or prime 95 large ffts. If the RAM is not running at its rated speed it could be stable but the issue happens when you shutdown and the BIOS loads the RAM config at its rated higher speed.

Once the RAM down clocks you boot fine but this isn't saved by the BIOS. So you are fine so long as you don't turn the PC off. This is just a guess on my part.
Yes, I think that's may be what happens. Just setting RAM at default profile (4800) didn't help, but both forcing "restore memory context" off AND memory at default so far gave me 3 good cold starts, no beeps, no POST screen though, boot into Windows. I'll give it a couple of days and if this keeps working fine, I'll see if I can find memory settings that would work with XMP.

The memory is G.SKILL S5 rated at XMP 6000 CL32 @1.4V - not EXPO, only XMP. But it totally refused to work on XMP profile with this MB. Raising the voltage only made it worse. Curiously, lowering VDD, VDDQ, VPP from 1.4V to 1.3V AND rising the other voltages (SoC 1.29V, VOD 1.14V, VDDG CCD/IOD 1.29V, VDDP 1.19V) makes it work fine, even at CL30 without loosening timings, with all TestMem5 etc. tests passing fine, and no crashes/errors in work and gaming. But it's possible that this combination of voltages (which took me a very long time to find) doesn't play nice with the MB BIOS at POST. Maybe I can raise all voltages a bit and see if it's still stable.

I know I should have bought an EXPO memory from the list for my MB, but it's so expensive, and this one was a good deal. I was expecting the CPU within a week of ordering RAM and though if it doesn't work I'll return it. But the CPU took 1.5 months to come and the return window closed, so I'm such with this RAM.