Question Intermittent problem with stuttering / glitching - please help!

mechagran

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Hi

I have a self-built system that until recently was working perfectly (last 3 months).

Windows 10 64 bit Build 18362
Aorus z390 Wifi Pro MB
I7-9700K 3.6 ghz
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB dual channel DDR4
Samsung M2 3000 SSD iTB DDR4
Nvidia GeForce 1080 ti (11gb)

Recently I have found that my system doesn't always want to boot first time and invariably needs a 'reset' to get to the log in screen. It usually hangs on the loading "Asus" swirl / splash and occasionally this happens a few times until I get past it.

Combined with this, is an intermittent problem where if I move the mouse across the screen sometimes it will 'glitch' or 'stick' then catch up. It also affects sounds so I get sound stuttering in games and sometimes it's quite extreme at others it's very occasional.

I read various guides and I disabled windows updates which might be responsible and uninstalled updates back to February (around the time the issue began).

I just wonder if there are some basic things I could do to resolve it?

Ive posted this in Memory because I wonder if it is a memory issue - or more of a system wide thing in which case im happy for it to be moved. I have performed memory tests and it seems very stable and no reports of any issues.

Thanks

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Not sure what M2 DDR4 is. I've never heard of that and tried looking it up on Google to understand and could only find information about an M.2 adapter that plugs into a RAM slot.

However, to resolve a lot of post issues and stability issues, do the following:
Do a CMOS reset to reset the BIOS, then update it to it's latest version.

Perform a Clean install of Windows and make sure it gets updated completely to all the latest updates.

Then go to manufacturer website for motherboard and download chipset drivers and install them to make sure everything is up to snuff with CPU.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to double check how you built the system by making sure the RAM is seated properly and in the correct slots (refer to motherboard manual for the slots to use for dual channel)

And if that isn't working, then you will need to be prepared to remove your CPU to check the socket for any bent or missing pins as well as to make sure that no lint or anything got into the socket during the first time you built it.

Triple checking that all other things are seated and plugged in correctly.
Especially power cables. Don't be afraid to get a little physical to ensure that cables are absolute 100% fully plugged in.

mechagran

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
THanks QP

Sorry the M2 DDR4 is my SSD, I copied and pasted so it got stuck next to ram. I have corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB x 2.

Oh and in case it makes any difference my cpu is the i7-9700K (for somre reason Speccy picks it up as a kby lake i7-7700 but DX diag and ccleaner get it right....)

Now updated

Thanks for the tips. Also I have CPUZ so how do I create a link to that system info to post on here?

When you say CMOS (I don't dabble with bios generally) is that through launch menu at start?

Thanks

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Go to the website https://valid.x86.fr and create an account.
Then, open CPU-Z and click the validate option and input a name for the PC/validation and enter the same email address you used to create your account then click "Submit" button and it should upload it to your account on the website where you can get a link to it, or the little thumbnail that is also a link like how you see in my profile signature.

mechagran

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Hey man I still haven't resolved this yet and getting some POSt issues. but at least I got my banner sorted!!

Thanks for trying, ill ask in SYSTEM for more help.