Internal HDD which 1Tb, 2Tb , 1x2Tb and for c drive old WD green?

vampelle

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I planning to buy a new pc system once the refresh haswell comes. and hoping the price drop too :)

Currently i have 2 250gb hdd each, one is wd green and other is seagate and both are 8mb cache . in my existing pc. which is P4 dell optiplex gx620
WD2500ks-oomjbo ATA and St3250820As ATA.
I am using my WD green as my main c and d drive (D drive is for torrents and streaming). while seagate is only for storage (hardly use it but have some movies and pictures store) as i feel something is wrong with it as loading is slow and higher noise level.

I first need to know, once i built my new pc should i use my exisiting wd green as my c drive only,
and the new HDD 1tb or 2tb be used as my storage and regular streaming, torrents n games.

Second, should i go for 1Tb or 2Tb, or 1Tb right now and 1Tb later or even 2Tb then. Which brand WD green, seagate, toshiba. WD Black is available but quite expensive for me.

This is the spec for my new desktop pc;
i3 intel haswell
motherboard under $70
HDD
casing local with 450 w psu
reuglar speaker.
(will use my existing dvd rw, key+mouse + 23inch samsung led monitor)
gpu if needed due to hdmi port.

total around $350 in total.

vampelle

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

well i had this drive since 2007 i think.
sure loading is little slow but works fine once it is running.
the seagate is also same year. both had been replaced once. and even after replacement seagate makes more noise and it feels that something is wrong.
Before i bought WD green, we had seagate only so i bought them only. and well all of them got corrupt with and without ups and stabilizer too. And now they are in a box, since i cant recover them or access them in bios.

Now, here in this forum and i read seagate is better than before and from WD green. but i read that WD has improve there factory so more than drive. The warranty for all HDD is 1 years even for toshiba hard drive.
That why i am confusing it.
price wise.
for 1TB : toshiba - seagate - WD green - WD black.
for 2 TB: WD green - seagate - WD Black. (dont have toshiba for 2tb here)

Since Black is out of range. i am left with remaining three but i need to know is 1Tb *2 is better than 2Tb or not. or just get 1TB now n wait for next year when price drop more. while still using my exisiting WD green as my c drive only as long as possible.
if not why? will it not play 1080p hd movies, or games? as 720p is fine on this.

hoodyhoo66

Honorable
Apr 16, 2014
nowdays, you should always plan SSD in the budget of new PC. If you are not playing games, or you don't want to have extreamly fast loadings, then you will be fine with a ~60Gb SSD for C: drive, windows, and main programs you use daily. Which you can get for 60 bucks, and You should buy new storagejust in case you need more storage, or you suspect one of your HDDs giving up, if WD green is perfect, i would use it for downloads, games, seagate for storing data. If it's noisy doesn't mean it's bad, just it's noisy, i had Raptor unfortunately for 5 years it was loud as hell, but it is still working if mount it :D

Install Sentinel, check your HDD's , save money for SSD and happy building...

vampelle

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

thank you but ssd price is equal to HDD. 60gb equal to 500gb , 120gb equal to 1tb. so not interested right now