[SOLVED] Internet Acting Very Slow on Ethernet Connected PC

Allers

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Hi,

Just this week that I have noticed, my internet has been acting very slow on my computer. In my house, my computer has been the only thing directly connected to the internet with ethernet, all other devices are wireless. The biggest thing I notice is webpages load much slower than normal (they usually load instantly), and when I watch youtube videos, the automatic quality is 144p, and if I try to increase the video quality, the video freezes as if my internet was not fast enough.

However, when I watch the same videos on my phone, the video loads instantly with 1080p and the page loads instantly with all the comments, recommended videos, etc. Even when I am far away from my router and the signal is weak, it still loads pretty fast. I have 1000 Mbps internet and everything was super fast until this week that I noticed. Even my games still download at their usual 15, 20 MBPS.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be the problem? I am not too familiar with how internet and computers work so I am completely clueless.

System specs are:
i7 8700k
RTX 2080
16 GB Ram
(Not sure what else to include)
and
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Last edited:
Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Try another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable between PC and router.

Run Window's built in network troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Use Resource Monitor to observe system performance while system idles, while viewing webpages, and while watching videos. Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

You can apply Task Manager> Performance tab in much the same manner.

Ralston18

Titan

Run Window's built in network troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Use Resource Monitor to observe system performance while system idles, while viewing webpages, and while watching videos. Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

Solution

Allers

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

So I started a youtube video and the network utilization max was 0.53% that I saw. I am not sure if that is normal or not

EDIT: I did a windows update and it seems to have fixed it through first impressions. I will update if it doesn't

Last edited: