Question Internet connections come to a crawl while downloading large files.

jcb1972

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Hello all, just like the title of the thread says, whenever I download a large file all existing internet connections come to a crawl or possibly disconnect all together. Regardless as to whether the existing internet connections are wired or wireless, they are severely affected when I download a large file.

I have googled this to the ends of the earth and back, trying all suggested fixed found along the way, and I cannot get this issue resolved.

System specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1301, 3/14/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product MAXIMUS IX HERO
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 24.8 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 27.5 GB
Graphics adapter EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 TI
Network adapter Intel I219-V – running the latest drivers.

Router:
Netgear WNDR3700v4 - running the latest firmware

I have tried the following to fix the issue:

Updating my network adapter drivers
Disabling internet connection sharing
Updated router Firmware
“Tinkered” with router settings
Disabled non-essential startup programs in Windows
I ran diagnostics on the network card with the Intel Proset software and everything checked out OK

I read where someone suspected a program running in the background was causing the issue so they booted into safe mode, with networking, and the issue went away. This allowed them to narrow out any possible router issues and determine that they issue was locally on their PC and not their network.

This has been going on since I wiped my drive and re-installed Windows about 4 months ago. I have had this issue in the past after re-installing Windows but the problem went away a few days or so after the re-installation of Windows.

I would suspect the issue lies within my computer but booting into safe mode did not make the problem any better. Like I mentioned, I “Tinkered” with the settings in my router but that did not make the problem any better as well. The problem was the same with both the old and new Firmware installed on the router.

ANY input into this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help!

What is the rate the large file is downloading at. If you have a 20mbps internet connection and your large file download takes 20mbps there is no extra bandwidth for other device to get any. Most download managers by default will attempt to use 100% of your bandwidth.

All depends how you are downloading stuff and if you can set a limit. Try to set the bandwidth usage to say 50% of what you buy from your ISP. This should leave lots of extra bandwidth for other users.

jcb1972

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Thanks for your quick response.
When I run speedtest my download speed ranges from 200 - 250 Mbps. The files that I was downloading prior to creating this thread were downloading between 25 - 35 Mbps.

I would love to throttle my download speed but I don’t think it is possible with my router.