Question Internet continually dropping out

mekyle99

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016
Hi guys,

Over the past few months, my Rogers internet (yes i know rogers has a poor rep) has been dropping out constantly. The weird part is, is it will be fine for a while, but once it drops out once, it will come back online for a few minutes, then drop out again, online, drop out, online, dropout etc. This is only solved by resetting my router, which only lasts so long until it starts spam dropping out again. I even replaced my router, same issue. Rogers is filled with morons that don't even know whats happening and told me to fix it myself, so I've come here as a last resort.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What explanation has Rogers offered to explain the situation? Do your neighbors suffer similar problems?

Other than changing ISPs, there isn't much you can do to "fix" Rogers' service coming to your location.

Assuming you are using a cable modem, has that been replaced as well as the router swap you mentioned? Or, are you using a single device that serves as both cable modem and router?

mekyle99

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016
I'm unsure about my neighbours, but that is definitely something I should have asked and will do so. I'm not too well versed in internet stuff, but there's a thing in our basement that has wifi networks on it and another router upstairs with wifi networks on it. We replaced the one upstairs. Signals constantly drop out on both of these devices.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The CODA is an integrated modem/router device and what brings the signal into your house. That is likely what needs to be replaced. You could also have issues with the cable/connection coming into the CODA device.

Is your Asus connected to the CODA via a wireless or wired connection (like ethernet or a powerline network adapter)?

mekyle99

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016
The CODA is an integrated modem/router device and what brings the signal into your house. That is likely what needs to be replaced. You could also have issues with the cable/connection coming into the CODA device.

Is your Asus connected to the CODA via a wireless or wired connection (like ethernet or a powerline network adapter)?

It is connected via ethernet. I've also looked into the CODA and it seems to very problematic for a lot of people.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are correct that it seems that Rogers limits which devices they will allow. Request the one you have be replaced to see if that resolves the matter.

I did notice that there is at least one Cisco device that Rogers uses. See if that is an option.

Good luck.