[SOLVED] Internet cuts out for a short time but back up instantly

DJ Cheesebugga

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
I will be playing a game but and random my internet will cut out for like a millisecond and I will be able to reconnect to the game if possible, but this gets so annoying. This doesn't just occur on my pc which is connected via ethernet but it also occurs with my console (Ethernet) and my phone (Wi-Fi). Like for example, I will be playing Sea of Thieves and my game will kick and say Allmondbeard (Connection error) then it will immediately ask if I want to reconnect. I check my internet connection, still says I'm connected. I check my teredo and NAT type connected with a moderate NAT type. If I go to my phone, I will be playing a game that requires internet, I will randomly get kicked then asked to reconnect while I still have full bars. I believe this problem has occurred for about a month. Again these occur at random and I never know when the boot is going to happen, alongside the fact I will be able to reconnect instantly after disconnected while still seeing full connection to the internet. This even occurs for my parents. For some reason this has also occurred with the home phone which is a different provider than our tv and internet. After doing some checking with my computer which is where this problem was first discovered I noticed it on my console then on our mobile phones, I felt like it was either the modem, the router, or the ISP. The modem has been replaced and the problem is still occurring. It can't be that our devices are old because the console is a month old after the old one was ditched because a power surge occurred which I believe is when this started occurring but I can't remember, I feel like it started about a week or 2 after the surge.
NOTE: If you get confused, sorry, I've never been good at explaining things.

Solution
0.0% loss even though the internet kick is random during the day. I would even check my command prompt instantly afterwards and find no problem what so ever, I was thinking about having my ISP do a 24 hour line quality test
You will need to test during a failure--if you're getting 0% loss even then, I would say it's probably a dns issue.

DJ Cheesebugga

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
0.0% loss even though the internet kick is random during the day. I would even check my command prompt instantly afterwards and find no problem what so ever, I was thinking about having my ISP do a 24 hour line quality test

So I cut cable at the beginning of march and had to return my cable boxes.
However, I did not remove the cable splitters which caused my internet to be intermitten for THREE MONTHS!
I thought it was my ISP because everytime I called they would be under high call volume, but just in case you did something similar- Did you happen to cut cable and still have the cable splitters on your line?

DJ Cheesebugga

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
So I cut cable at the beginning of march and had to return my cable boxes.
However, I did not remove the cable splitters which caused my internet to be intermitten for THREE MONTHS!
I thought it was my ISP because everytime I called they would be under high call volume, but just in case you did something similar- Did you happen to cut cable and still have the cable splitters on your line?
I have no clue, I don't have much of an idea what a cable splitter even is. We have a switch, but that's connected to the router which is connected to the modem. I'm not the one that works on the cables, I'm just trying to figure out what the culprits could be. My tech class never really prepped me for this type of problem. Our system from what I know is the cable that the internet comes from goes to the modem, the modem connects to the router, and the router connects to the switch which connects to my computer and console. And this problem occurs on all devices whether is ethernet through the switch or Wi-Fi through the router.

Last edited:
I have no clue, I don't have much of an idea what a cable splitter even is. We have a switch, but that's connected to the router which is connected to the modem. I'm not the one that works on the cables, I'm just trying to figure out what the culprits could be. My tech class never really prepped me for this type of problem. Our system from what I know is the cable that the internet comes from goes to the modem, the modem connects to the router, and the router connects to the switch which connects to my computer and console. And this problem occurs on all devices whether is ethernet through the switch or Wi-Fi through the router.
I guess your best bet is gonna be having a technician come out and examine the area.
Cable splitters are these tiny little square things that accept those TV cables, the ones that screw in with a singular pin in the middle. What was happening in my situation was that the cable splitter in the basement and the one upstairs were bouncing frequencies back and forth, disconnecting my internet.
Doesn't sound like this is applicable to your scenario though, the power surge seems kinda fishy. So!
Technician time?

Reactions: DJ Cheesebugga

DJ Cheesebugga

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
I guess your best bet is gonna be having a technician come out and examine the area.
Cable splitters are these tiny little square things that accept those TV cables, the ones that screw in with a singular pin in the middle. What was happening in my situation was that the cable splitter in the basement and the one upstairs were bouncing frequencies back and forth, disconnecting my internet.
Doesn't sound like this is applicable to your scenario though, the power surge seems kinda fishy. So!
Technician time?
I was kind of thinking that we should get a tech, we are gonna see about replacing the router first and if that doesn't fix we were thinking its our ISP. But I will see about talking them into getting a technician. I've also been awake for a while for trying to find an answer because I have been getting tired of this.

Last edited:

DJ Cheesebugga

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
I was kind of thinking that we should get a tech, we are gonna see about replacing the router first and if that doesn't fix we were thinking its our ISP. But I will see about talking them into getting a technician. I've also been awake for a while for trying to find an answer because I have been getting tired of this. Wait, could the roku streaming our tv service cause a problem even when the tv is off and not being used?
The roku has been connected instead of our tv for a long time I would probably say a few months.

DJ Cheesebugga

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
Technician time?
Wait, could the roku streaming our tv service cause a problem even when the tv is off and not being used? Because they decided to switch to using the roku to watch tv from the app on it but they never switched from the actual thing. I have no clue how to explain it but I'm guessing it would still be better to have a tech come check everything?

Wait, could the roku streaming our tv service cause a problem even when the tv is off and not being used? Because they decided to switch to using the roku to watch tv from the app on it but they never switched from the actual thing. I have no clue how to explain it but I'm guessing it would still be better to have a tech come check everything?
Yeah for sure. I don't think roku would affect anything unless you did the same thing I did, which was get rid of your cable boxes and leaving the splitters in. Assuming you had cable to begin with!
Regardless, I would get a technician out there. He won't be there more than an hour probably.

DJ Cheesebugga

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah for sure. I don't think roku would affect anything unless you did the same thing I did, which was get rid of your cable boxes and leaving the splitters in. Assuming you had cable to begin with!
Regardless, I would get a technician out there. He won't be there more than an hour probably.
Our tv is cable and the internet runs in with the cable, our tv and internet are the same provider

Our tv is cable and the internet runs in with the cable, our tv and internet are the same provider
That's fine, if you still have cable then that's probably not the issue. I would say something with the power surge has effected your equipment in some way. Same solution though, just get the tech out there.
Or maybe someone else will come along with a better solution, keep ya eyes open!

Reactions: DJ Cheesebugga

DJ Cheesebugga

Honorable
Apr 15, 2018
That's fine, if you still have cable then that's probably not the issue. I would say something with the power surge has effected your equipment in some way. Same solution though, just get the tech out there.
Or maybe someone else will come along with a better solution, keep ya eyes open!
Ok thanks, I just hate that its random like it once happened twice within 10 minutes then another time it didnt occur until 10 hours after my computer has been turned on. And the fact I will be in a party chat and playing a game it will kick me from the game but not the party chat.

Last edited: