Internet Explorer 10 to Ignore Windows Vista

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
They are getting greedier. If they think people will upgrade to the next OS, which actually isn't even a new version (6.0 to 6.1 to 6.2) just to use their browser, all they they will succeed in is limiting their user base. Go ahead MS, shoot yourself in the foot and cry.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]This is the right thing to do!Microsoft need to call a line where it comes to Legacy support!If you do not cut ties to legacy OS, and build backward compatability for old code, you gimp your modern product.Windows needs to be streamlined to run on current modern systems, fast, smaller in size, clever, and good looking!, there is plenty of choice out there for Legacy XP and Vista is a Failure, Microsoft recognised that in the end, let it die peacefully, not through ten years of forward updates, It will last the life of your PC (5 years) just fine without ie10/11/12.I fully support this new way of thinking Microsoft are doing, It will speed up the advances they make and ultimately create a better OS fr us all to use!lastly, Microsoft is not forcing anyone to go out and buy the latest and greatest product from them , Its totally your choice!Every single manufacturer comes out with new products, Cars, TV's, Clothes, hell even lightbulbs! Its your choice to buy something, not theirs,![/citation]
Well, Windows Vista, 7 and 8 essentially are the same version of Windows (6.0, 6.1, 6.2). This isn't progress. It is cheap excuse to force people to upgrade and it may hit them back in their faces when people turn to other browsers rather than upgrade.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I love how many people still assume vista doesn't work and is a peice of shit when most of them probably never even tried the damn OS and just got this propaganda from word of mouth.
A little news flash, most, if not all, problems were fixed in sp1, which was over 3 years ago...I never even had issues prior to sp1, most issues were because people didn't know mb's by default didn't dish out the proper voltages for ram and therefore had unstable systems. Oh and everyone qq'd that it needed more powerful pc's than xp.

So vista is trash cause of people's ignorance? Oximoron anyone?

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Add up how many of those users are actually office machines where the person who uses it has no control over it and all upgrades are locked down.Millions, tens if not hundreds of millions.Machines where the end user is at home and has full carte blanche on what they install or upgrade to there will always be a number of people who do nothing more than check emails and XP is fine for them.But the vast majority have decided that in 10 years paying $100 to upgrade to a modern OS with all the associated beneifits, bells & whistles is well worth it.XP isn't popular, they just have no choice in getting rid of it.[/citation]

businesses don't give a crap about newer versions of IE. they stick to IE6 for legacy software.

abowlofsoda

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I tried to get into building websites and was appalled of how much I had to learn because people refuse to update their browsers. Old IE is holding the internet back from progressing faster.

I applaud Microsoft in this case.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Not a smart move for Microsoft. The adaptation of IE9 has been mediocre. The amendment of forcing everyone on Win 7 for IE10 just doesn't make any sense.

People will just opt for FF4,Safari 5.x, Opera... ANYTHING BUT IE.

For those who NEED to use IE for business? Well, they will just give MS the finger and stay on IE6.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]businesses don't give a crap about newer versions of IE. they stick to IE6 for legacy software.[/citation]
That was kind of my point, 1 person in the IT department does not represent the will of the 8000 people in the company who, if given the choice, would have Windows 7 and IE9 in a heartbeat.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
This is nothing but M$ arm-twisting to force users to spend money on M$ newest OS. Sorry, M$, I won't buy. I am not an IE user in the first place.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]That was kind of my point, 1 person in the IT department does not represent the will of the 8000 people in the company who, if given the choice, would have Windows 7 and IE9 in a heartbeat.[/citation]

From a technology stand point, IE9/10 is highly preferred. However, if you ask anyone who works with Legacy software/websites they will tell you not to upgrade because the new IE breaks their old crappy code from IE6.

Business don't care about the updates that Microsoft launches every few months. They need a working stable platform for their system. They want their legacy software to continue working.

captaincharisma is right.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
unbelievable how people complain about anything they can. First its how HORRIBLE Windows Vista is, Death to Windows Vista, give us a refund for Vista, give Vista owners a free upgrade to Windows 7! blah blah blah. And now its "i cant believe microsoft doesnt want to support Windows Vista with IE10" & "How can they do this to us" If anything you should STFU because they listened to your pleading and begging to get away from vista and this proves that they are pushing in the right direction. People just want to take a stand to the opposite to whatever microsoft does or says regardless of how ignorant it makes them (and yes many of you sound ignorant). As people who dont have the balls/backbone & wouldn't raise their voice to express a strong opinion if given the chance face to face with someone who matters, some people get pretty brash behind a computer screen and miles of wiring! Also, i've been using IE9 and i love it, its a great browser so Vista users are in no way left out to dry!

PS. IMHO, yes vista was a resource hog but i never once had a problem with it (no BSOD, Memory errors, had incompatibilities but nothing windows couldnt run in XP mode). The people who have a horrible experience need to either get a job, or get a better job so they can afford a new/upgraded machine because when vista came out, buying a desktop at $500 (~$630 laptop) specced out a machine more than capable of running Vista smooth.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]murdoc[/nom]From a technology stand point, IE9/10 is highly preferred. However, if you ask anyone who works with Legacy software/websites they will tell you not to upgrade because the new IE breaks their old crappy code from IE6.Business don't care about the updates that Microsoft launches every few months. They need a working stable platform for their system. They want their legacy software to continue working.captaincharisma is right.[/citation]
Kind of right, the legacy software is required to run on the operating system, not the browser. We use a crappy old client management software called Amdocs and we have XP throughout, but there is no real restriction on the version or manufacturer of browser used as it has no bearing on the systems.

Which brings us back to the point of the story, IE10 will bypass Vista the same way IE9 bypassed XP. Because people have no choice at work in the OS they use, enforced XP in most cases, they will not be able to use IE9 or above even if they wanted to which most of them would.

Beleive it or not, most of the business world doesn't browse the internet all day, we work for a living on proprietary client management tools combined with Office.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I hear people complain (loud & clear) about what a crappy browser IE is (regardless of version). Now I hear some of the same people screaming that MS is forcing them to upgrade from XP/Vista because IE 10 won't run on those. Say what? If you think IE sucks as a browser, how is MS forcing you to do anything? If you love & use FF/Chrome/Opera, how is MS forcing anything on you? If you use IE and it works for you as is, how is MS forcing you to change?

It seems to me that those complaining of being forced to upgrade are the perfect consumers - they have to have the latest only. Relax! Enjoy using what you use now. When the times come that you want to upgrade, you will upgrade. Really - it's your decision, not Microsofts.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]That was kind of my point, 1 person in the IT department does not represent the will of the 8000 people in the company who, if given the choice, would have Windows 7 and IE9 in a heartbeat.[/citation]
Yes, but others would pick XP, NT, Linux, BSD, Neutrino, OS/2, OS X, Solaris, Android and so on... Now tell me how will the IT dept. react if they had to make every sofware work on all of these different platforms and that they must also keep all these different OSes updated with the latest security patches.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
THey way I loose at it, VISTA has some problems that Microsoft never fixed, even though its good and stable now, vista users had to go threw way more BS then windows 7 users. So, if anything, Microsoft has to make vista users happy for comming out with an service pack (aka Windows 7) and calling it windows 7, and screwing Vista users out of an SP/update.

optimusprime619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Big deal...who gives a dime about IE...every developer knows its a pain of a lifetime...the only reason its alive cos it ships with the OS.. look forward to Firefox...life's much better when it's for free

G

Running Vista 64 for almost 3 years now without ever having to do a reinstall or having a single crash at the desktop level requiring the restart button. People keep trashing Vista, yet this OS and computer has been worry free for the past 3 years.

To think of how many times I had to hit the reset button with Windows XP, and how many reinstalls I ended up doing over my 2 Windows XP computers makes me really appreciate how great Vista is.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Well let's see, Chrome and Opera suck and after FF crashed for the 4th time last night I'm back and sticking with IE for good.[/citation]

Yes it is important for Microsoft employees to tow the line, well done.

scazbala86

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
What kind of strategy is it to push people to a new OS through a new version of IE? I swear Microsoft is going out of its way to lose market share...

Status
Not open for further replies.