Internet Explorer 10 to Ignore Windows Vista

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]for all Vista owners, you bought a lemon and you won't get the new sugar candy to lessen the sour taste.[/citation]

Enjoying your paid service pack? There never was a reason to upgrade to W7 if you already had Vista unless you bought into the hype/mindless bashing over it.

Can't wait to see W8 and how little of an improvement it will be since Vista. Maybe they should devote some time to fixing bugs that have existed since XP that are still in W7.

G

I am not sure what all this means.
In order to get my very first computer, I spent the last dimes that I had on a 100$ used one that says Windows WP when I turn it on.
Does this mean that I will get all kind of viruses now,
and that the computer will be destroid in a very short time from now.
I cannot afford to upgrade or buy a new computer.
What shall I do.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]hejkomohjalpmig[/nom]I am not sure what all this means.In order to get my very first computer, I spent the last dimes that I had on a 100$ used one that says Windows WP when I turn it on.Does this mean that I will get all kind of viruses now,and that the computer will be destroid in a very short time from now.I cannot afford to upgrade or buy a new computer.What shall I do.[/citation]
You don't need to buy a new Windows to avoid viruses. You don't even need to purchase antivirus software. The point is that it's knowledge what makes your PC secure yet fast but learning the means to it takes time...

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
hmm just like how microsoft made halo 2 vista only so windows xp users could not play it, unless they got a modded launcher which was available on the first day of the games release which allowed you to run it in windows xp (and lower)

While IE may suck for the most part, when IE 10 is fully released, there will most likely be a vista crack.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
anybody still using vista at this point is probably unaware that internet explorer actually gets updated. From my experience these people don't understand the difference between the internet itself and the program that is internet explorer.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Add up how many of those users are actually office machines where the person who uses it has no control over it and all upgrades are locked down.Millions, tens if not hundreds of millions.Machines where the end user is at home and has full carte blanche on what they install or upgrade to there will always be a number of people who do nothing more than check emails and XP is fine for them.But the vast majority have decided that in 10 years paying $100 to upgrade to a modern OS with all the associated beneifits, bells & whistles is well worth it.XP isn't popular, they just have no choice in getting rid of it.[/citation]

you call win 7 a modern os? ok its newer, ill give you that...
i depsise EVERYTHING about windows 7, i have had to use it onn and off sense release, and EVERY time i use it i yell "@$#^ING 7" without fail.

i wont "upgrade" till i have no options left, and even than, not useing a pc anymore is still an option.

because as much as i hate macs, they are consistent in their user interface, and have only made it better, though not better than xp.

i cant see os xi changing EVERYTHING only for the sake of change.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]This is nothing but M$ arm-twisting to force users to spend money on M$ newest OS. Sorry, M$, I won't buy. I am not an IE user in the first place.[/citation]

Despite the idiotic use of the dollar sign instead of the S (which normally i ignore anyone ignorant enough to do this) I'm going to comment on your dribble :) Want to use XP? go ahead don't want to use IE go ahead. Eventually even the other browser developers will stop supporting XP normally people stop supporting MS software around the time MS stops supporting it its self. are you people going to keep crying then? or say o well it was a good run simply because it wasn't microsoft saying it. I'm all for dropping support for XP I'm just not to sure about them dropping it for Vista at this time since vsta and 7 are pretty much brand new and have little differences. of course I'm also all for dropping support for 32bit.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Eventually even the other browser developers will stop supporting XP normally people stop supporting MS software around the time MS stops supporting it its self. are you people going to keep crying then? or say o well it was a good run simply because it wasn't microsoft saying it.[/citation]
Actually 3rd party developers keep their support for years on even though MS drops.

For instance, Microsoft supported NT 4.0 until 2001. The latest Firefox version which officially supported NT 4.0 was 2.0.0.22, released in 2009.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
That kinda tells me browsers are like consoles keeping the old tech alive so no one can move forward :/ But browsers are one of many things i was talking about. Apparently FF is the exception to the rule. IMO they are doing a disservice in that area. Let it die already. kill off IE6 XP 32bit and the lot of legacy and move forward. While i think they should make special exceptions in part for business but eventually they need to move forward as well.

G

GEE- I guess I'll just have to stick to Chrome. The downside, oh, wait, there is no downside.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Enjoying your paid service pack? There never was a reason to upgrade to W7 if you already had Vista unless you bought into the hype/mindless bashing over it.

Um I can give you a lot of reasons to upgrade or even downgrade from Vista. Yeah it's mindless bashing, So everyone that had problems with Vista which was a lot were all made up right. I guess Windows Me's problems were all made up too. I guess ignoring MS even admittedly stating that there were issues with Vista. So are you going to say they were wrong and don't know what they were talking about too? lol.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Never had a problem with ME or vista :) other then how slow devs are to keep their software up to date. I also don't buy cheap junk like OEM computers that are well crap.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]That kinda tells me browsers are like consoles keeping the old tech alive so no one can move forward But browsers are one of many things i was talking about. Apparently FF is the exception to the rule. IMO they are doing a disservice in that area. Let it die already. kill off IE6 XP 32bit and the lot of legacy and move forward. While i think they should make special exceptions in part for business but eventually they need to move forward as well.[/citation]
What if I tell you 32-bit OSes are able to handle up to 64GB physical RAM with no driver crashes, unlike early 64-bit drivers which came with XP64 and Vista? With all 64-bit software being slower and taking up more RAM to run wouldn't it be better to stay with 32-bit for a few more years on home PCs?
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Um I can give you a lot of reasons to upgrade or even downgrade from Vista. Yeah it's mindless bashing, So everyone that had problems with Vista which was a lot were all made up right. I guess Windows Me's problems were all made up too. I guess ignoring MS even admittedly stating that there were issues with Vista. So are you going to say they were wrong and don't know what they were talking about too? lol.[/citation]
While the first release on Win95 was a nightmare by the time a properly patched Win95 with 32-bit drivers would run smooth with no crashes. Whatever happened after the service release 2 of Win95 was just marketing. Eventually they did the same to NT 4.0 in order to force businessmen to upgrade to Win 2000 with the excuse of better stability and uptime though my own experience tells it was quite the opposite.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
i Admit i skipped 95 all together i was one of those people trying to hold on to DOS till the last day. I'm still actually more of a fan of DOS then windows but thats irrelevant anyways. 32bit MIGHT be able to address up to 64 gigs with patches and i forgot what that one fix was. But there are problems with it. its not native as with 64bit. I used 64bit xp vista and 7 i honestly never ran into any of these driver issues. At worst i got drivers that weren't fully functional but never a crash from one. I did have issues with one OS win2000. when it first game out it had no multimedia support to speak of. And it did crash constantly. But then again i wasn't using it for what it was meant.

As for 64 bit being slower and taking up more ram. NEVER saw it. i took my old 3200+ athlon formated installed 32 bit xp and then 64 bit xp changing nothing else. the 64bit system was amazing. Everything was so much faster and snappier. Both were clean installs. I eventually un-installed 64bit because i couldn't use some program like windows blinds to use a theme i wanted. At that time i used those crappy programs. But when vista came back i didn't hesitate to jump to 64bit and never cared to look back. 32bit to me has been dead for almost a decade. the only draw back i ever had was low functionality drivers for a little while.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Windows Vista has a lot less users then even Windows XP let alone Windows 7 according to the last data toms hardware put out a couple weeks ago and since more and more people are upgrading to Windows 7 there will be even less Vista users in the near future then there are now. Many people that upgraded or bought a pc with Windows Vista either downgraded back to XP or upgraded to Windows 7. So it would make sense for Microsoft to not keep supporting an OS that the consumor wants nothing to do with. I mean lets face it Vista like Me put a blackeye on Microsoft and like ME MS want to sweep Vista under the table as quick as they can. Windows 7 is a great OS anbd it's something MS can actually be proud of and the vast majority of pc user that use Windows 7 agree and it's just going to get better and better as its life cycle continues.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Um I can give you a lot of reasons to upgrade or even downgrade from Vista. Yeah it's mindless bashing, So everyone that had problems with Vista which was a lot were all made up right. I guess Windows Me's problems were all made up too. I guess ignoring MS even admittedly stating that there were issues with Vista. So are you going to say they were wrong and don't know what they were talking about too? lol.[/citation]

W7 is barely any different than Vista and I have machines with either installed and personally use Vista since beta. I guess you just want to block out the part where majority of the issues Vista had was driver related and not the OS itself. I'm also not running on a dinosaur or nVidia.

MS picked a marketing campaign and ran with it abandoning Vista because of word of mouth, suprised you can't see that. W7 looked like it had less problems because it nested on top of what Vista established.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Well I'll keep up using my windows Vista basic and I won't be moving to windows 7 just to use IE10. I'll just start to use Mozilla's Firefox when the time comes that IE9 ain't going to work properly for me.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Hunter_Killers[/nom]W7 is barely any different than Vista and I have machines with either installed and personally use Vista since beta. I guess you just want to block out the part where majority of the issues Vista had was driver related and not the OS itself. I'm also not running on a dinosaur or nVidia.MS picked a marketing campaign and ran with it abandoning Vista because of word of mouth, suprised you can't see that. W7 looked like it had less problems because it nested on top of what Vista established.[/citation]

Wrong you are there were many fixes to Windows 7 that weren't fixed in Vista and one of the major fixes were memory leakage. go look at IE 8 under windows Vista with 20 pages open vs Windows 7 with IE 8 with 20 pages open the the resources useage comparison is a big diff.

Because of word of mouth? How about people had legit issues with Vista or do you want to ignore acutal users legit problems with the OS.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Whine, whine, whine- nobody here likes Vista anyway :). By the way I agree with the associate. Unless your running a PC with 2 GB of RAM or less Vista was actually a pretty good OS that did get fixed with SP1. Problem was that at the time RAM was really expensive so Vista ran terrible on all but some of the higher-end systems. Of course, all of the consumers in the world just buy the cheapest thing on the market and wonder why the thing won't run well when it's bogged down with bloatware and they never defragment/uninstall programs/use security software.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Wrong you are there were many fixes to Windows 7 that weren't fixed in Vista and one of the major fixes were memory leakage. go look at IE 8 under windows Vista with 20 pages open vs Windows 7 with IE 8 with 20 pages open the the resources useage comparison is a big diff.Because of word of mouth? How about people had legit issues with Vista or do you want to ignore acutal users legit problems with the OS.[/citation]

What problems are these that couldn't be related to running it on outdated hardware and/or without proper driver support? The only thing that didn't get backported was the DWM improvement that really only mattered if you were already desperate for memory aka running on a dinosaur.

Word of mouth = friend of a friend of a friend. Anyone thats actually used the OS knows it has no outstanding issues other than explorer forgetting folder views but guess what? 7 has that bug too.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
So you completely ignore the memory leaks that Windows Vista had which was one of the m,ain issues with it that a service pack couldn't fix. MS even stated that they would have had to rework the whole kernal to fix the problem. you can have 8gb of ram in Vista but that's not going to fix the memory leakage it had which was a big problem if you started running memory resource programs There wasn an entire article on the memory leage of Vista vs 7 on this very own website. So you just assume word of mouth was a reason? Yet thousands and thousands and thousands of people ran into the same type of issues with Vista even with modern pc's. that muct have been word of mouth I tell you.... I take it you have Vista which is prob why you are defending it like you are. Vista was a dud and there is a reason why Apple trashed it consumors trashed it and even MS in their own words basily saying we screwed up. the last thing a company wants to admit is admitting that they screwd up there own product.

Status
Not open for further replies.