Internet Explorer 11 Will Use Your GPU to Make Everything Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is awesome, I hope Google and Mozilla implement this into their browsers, makes browsing awesome for gamers :D

This would also be an effective move on the 360 I think

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"Internet Explorer 11 Will Use Your GPU to Make Everything Fast"

Weren't versions 9 and10 already doing this with dazzling results?

More to the point, it seem Internet Explorer 11 will do with hardware acceleration what Opera intentionally wanted. Accelerate EVERYTHING, including the UI and the text itself.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
It's also sad to see how Opera pioneered HWA, yet they are the last of the bunch to actually implement it. Soon not even in their own engine.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Wouldn't this mean increased power consumption as if you have a discrete card it may be unable to bring the power to idle consumption?

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Firefox does not draw 70 W more power despite hardware acceleration option has been part of it since v4.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
The slowness of IE updates means that even if it is faster at launch their lead will be gone in a few weeks and by the time IE12 comes IE11 will be useless

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

1) You're talking out of ignorance
2) You really don't know how all this GPU stuff works, right?

CyranD

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
This article is misleading. There a reason that the Web Browser Grand Prix do not count the SunSpider JavaScript performance benchmark in there scoring. I not going to believe IE11 can compete with non IE browsers when it comes to JavaScript till I see some less bias benchmarks.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

It shouldn't. Modern GPUs have drivers and firmware built with the knowledge that programs and OS features are going to be using them for UI acceleration and encoding/decoding during regular use. They have multiple performance states that allow them to get sufficient performance while staying at low power during these loads.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
"IE11 will also support adaptive streaming, which will make for a better YouTube experience."
Isn't that on the flash plug-in? Upgrading the flash plug in will provide that functionality to all browsers?

The official Adblock plus is coming to Internet Explorer 6 through 11 sometime this summer.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
"How bad does it have to be that it needs GPU ??? OMG !"
"Sad that IE has to use GPU to be fast yet other browsers don't have this problem."

All browsers utilize the GPU for hardware acceleration with CSS3 and Canvas rendering.

The difference between IE's hardware acceleration and other browsers is that IE is built on DirectX while the others are built on OpenGL. Why does this make a difference? Because DirectX is proprietary to Microsoft while OpenGL is open. The shitty part is Microsoft forces people to upgrade their OS to upgrade DirectX and subsequently to upgrade their browser. This is why XP users are stuck with IE8. From a development standpoint this is bad because as a developer we have to continue to support these legacy systems restricting us from using new HTML5 and CSS3 features. Microsoft is working hard to slow the internet's progress.

As for netflix in HTML5 while I believe it's possible I don't see how it could be secure. Flash and Silverlight protect video streams while HTML5 exposes videos to the end user potentially allowing the user to grab the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.