Question Internet issues

SamSmart1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2019
Hi, I don't know if this forum could help at all but this has been an on-going issue for sometime now.

I am in the UK and have since I have paid for internet used BT wifi, a couple years ago there was a powercut in my area and obviously the wifi cut and ever since that point the internet has spikes of lag when I play games on my PC, Xbox or PS. I had never experienced lag before this point, I never play wirelessly I always use my ethernet cable which is not directly through the BT Hub but that never made a difference anyway.

Also, since this powercut my IP location has never been accurate since. I am based in the South of England and I often get login attempts even though it is me logging in saying I am from Wales or scotland, would this be connected to why I have lag spikes or is it because I have a dynamic IP I am really not sure so if anyone would happen to know please let me know. It was tolerable for a while but the more I play the more fustrating it is having crazy spikes of lag

boohoo2u

Prominent
Mar 18, 2023
Lots of questions for you:
Are you FTTC or FTTP?
Do you have a landline, is it working properly or have any crackling on the line?
Do you use a VPN?
On your router, what DNS servers do you use?
Sometimes a software firewall or Antivirus can impact, temporarily disable and try.
Reboot BT Hub.
How old is the BT hub? Can you try an alternative or ask for a new one?
When you say ethernet cable is not directly to the BT hub, via a switch? Can you plug the cable directly into the hub and try?
Try a different ethernet cable.
Run speedtests and post results:

The locator software is really stupid sometimes but it would strange your IP address changes. Generally if you are using the same IP it will stay in the same location even if it is wrong. That though does not really mean your traffic is going all the way to another country.

I guess key here is what do you mean "not directly through the BT Hub". What does the ethernet cable connect to and is that device connected to the BT hub via ethernet.

Many people will connect a ethernet cable to say a wifi repeater. That is not really a ethernet connection if the data must pass over wifi.

SamSmart1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2019
Lots of questions for you:
Are you FTTC or FTTP? I believe I am FTTC as FTTP is not possible to my home as the builders messed something up meaning its impossible unless I get the ground dug up lol

Do you have a landline, is it working properly or have any crackling on the line? Yes I have a landline, it rarely gets use but theres no issues with it

Do you use a VPN? I have in the past but they are no longer installed on any device in my home. I however have had card payments declined and my bank call me because they think I am using a VPN because it thinks im in a completely different location to where my home is.

On your router, what DNS servers do you use? I'm not sure what this is, I have googled how to find our what I use but it just brings up an IP Address

Sometimes a software firewall or Antivirus can impact, temporarily disable and try. Would this make any difference with my computer being off and still having lag on my playstation?

Reboot BT Hub. I have done this numerous time, no change unfortunately.

How old is the BT hub? Can you try an alternative or ask for a new one? I'm not 100% but it's around 3/4 years old

When you say ethernet cable is not directly to the BT hub, via a switch? Can you plug the cable directly into the hub and try? I'm not quite sure how to explain how my ethernet is ran but I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PL...3&psc=1&mcid=74a64c243f6930d0bb1f6b2a464ab33b

I have one plugged in next to my BT Hub and that send whatever to another one plugged in near my PC which is then connected to like a multi port thing (I cant seem to thing a link) which has 5 ports and all are plugged into my computer, playstation, printer and I think my HIVE heating thing.
These were never an issue before the powercut I experienced.

Try a different ethernet cable. I have tried this, and different cables are used for both ps and pc
Run speedtests and post results: I can send these once home from work. I know I average around 9ping - 60Mbps download and 40Mbps upload

SamSmart1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2019
The locator software is really stupid sometimes but it would strange your IP address changes. Generally if you are using the same IP it will stay in the same location even if it is wrong. That though does not really mean your traffic is going all the way to another country.

I guess key here is what do you mean "not directly through the BT Hub". What does the ethernet cable connect to and is that device connected to the BT hub via ethernet.

Many people will connect a ethernet cable to say a wifi repeater. That is not really a ethernet connection if the data must pass over wifi.
I use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PL...3&psc=1&mcid=74a64c243f6930d0bb1f6b2a464ab33b

I may be wrong as I'm not currently home but I believe one is plugged into the wall next to the router and the other in my room, I never had an issue with it being like this until I had this powercut and it's not been the same since

boohoo2u

Prominent
Mar 18, 2023
I use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PL...3&psc=1&mcid=74a64c243f6930d0bb1f6b2a464ab33b

I may be wrong as I'm not currently home but I believe one is plugged into the wall next to the router and the other in my room, I never had an issue with it being like this until I had this powercut and it's not been the same since
Powerline Adapters will probably be the cause of the lags, they have their uses but definitely not gaming.
I've used them in the past and never again, caused me all sorts of trouble especially when one of them started to fail, which one could be due to your powercut.

You have to go back to basics, unplug all these powerline adapters, plug in an ethernet cable between your gaming console and directly to the BT Hub, now test for any lag.

Are you able to log into the BT hub ok? Can you save the settings or write down the information stored in there and then do a factory reset?

As for the DNS settings, if you log into your router (sorry not used a BT hub) but on mine I have a setting for Domain Name Server (DNS) Address which gives me options:
1. Get Automatically from ISP.
2. Enter your own Primary and Secondary DNS Servers, I use google ones, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

SamSmart1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2019
As for the DNS settings, if you log into your router (sorry not used a BT hub) but on mine I have a setting for Domain Name Server (DNS) Address which gives me options:
1. Get Automatically from ISP.
2. Enter your own Primary and Secondary DNS Servers, I use google ones, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
when i log in to my BT Hub online, I can see a primary dns and a secondary dns, I cant seem to change these on my router but I know that I can on ps