Question Internet Outages [DATA included]

Jul 18, 2019
Hello.
I've been experiencing internet outages since about a month and a half ago. These outages at first seemed to happen in regular intervals but when I actually ran a script to record my internet status I saw that that wasn't the case. Internet goes out seemingly every hour or so. Often, I have multiple outages spaced out EXACTLY by one hour. These outages last for about 40 to 60 seconds. I have called my ISP's support number and they told me that they have also noticed a lot of "ERRORS" on my network. They sent their technicians THREE times this month and they couldn't get it fixed. At first they suspected that the problem might be caused by some loose wires that are connected to my modem and that go into the rest of the building (I have no idea how loose wires can cause seemingly regularly spaced out outages). I suspect that the problem is actually caused by a machine. I'd like a little help and at least some explanation from someone who knows much more than I do on this forum. I am well aware that this might be an issue that I cannot resolve myself, but I can at least explain what the problem is in detail to them since they don't actually seem to care all that much about diagnosing it properly.
Here's a diagram of my home network:
3mXO9l9.png

I should also note that my ISP has replaced my modem and I no longer have the username and password to log into it.
  • There's also no TV during these outages, and I can ping 192.168.1.1 and get a reply with no problem.
  • And yes, there's also no WIFI during these outages. There is WIFI but I can not connect to any website.
  • This is what happens when I try to ping 8.8.8.8 during an outage:
CVaJW6f.png

I have recorded my network statistics using a script that has been running since the 5th of July until the 16th of July. There have been prolonged periods of time (about 2 to 4 days) without any outages. I have also found out that these outages happen more often during the day than during the night.
My ISP's technicians have been to my flat 3 times and have pretty much tested every bit of equipment. They even tested out wires that lead from my home modem out into the building, and have concluded that they weren't faulty. It has now been about 15 days since I last called them about this problem and I have started to lose hope. No one can quite figure out what the cause of the problem is here. I will paste the download link of the compressed version of my log below.
https://mega.nz/#!ADRS2aia!HMswj571sDrdm9NMmezOom75d2gtTaKVNQeBYywBTiw
To find an outage in the file, simply search for "unreachable". Don't worry I edited out all occurrences of my IP.

I shake my head every time "technician out test everything" is a waste of time, he's lever1 tech doing static tests and of course this is not a static problem. There are lever2 and lever3 engineering with better knowledge and test methods but they are allocated to the business accounts.

Use another ISP, or sign up for a business account is all I can suggest.

Jul 18, 2019
Did you accidentally set an access schedule on the router to block different times?

Accidentally setting this to 4pm to 5pm as blocked for instance would cause this.

I hope this is it since it would be a quick fix.
Which router? The Asus one or the ZTE one?
If you're talking about the Asus one, then no. I have not messed with it for the longest time. There's no reason for it to start acting up, and also it wouldn't have any effect on the TV, and since the TV is affected during the outages, that means the problem isn't caused by the Asus router.

I don't have access to the ZTE router anymore, but as far as I remember there weren't any "Access schedule" options on it. And that router, as I have said before, was replaced (same model) and reconfigured. I doubt that my ISP would configure it intentionally to block internet access at certain times.

Jul 18, 2019
Why not?
Who does?
How did this change?
As I've already said, my ISP's technicians were at my flat 3 times already. The first time they just tested some wires, second time they removed an old splitter for a phone that we weren't using anymore, and the third time they replaced the modem. They replaced it with the exact same model, with the exact same configuration. The only thing they changed is the password used to access it. None of these changes did anything to fix the problem.

USAFRet

Titan
As I've already said, my ISP's technicians were at my flat 3 times already. The first time they just tested some wires, second time they removed an old splitter for a phone that we weren't using anymore, and the third time they replaced the modem. They replaced it with the exact same model, with the exact same configuration. The only thing they changed is the password used to access it. None of these changes did anything to fix the problem.
The password change is why you no longer have access?

Reset the thing back to factory.

Then keep a detailed log of exactly when your service goes out. Actual data is the key here.

Jul 18, 2019
The password change is why you no longer have access?

Reset the thing back to factory.

Then keep a detailed log of exactly when your service goes out. Actual data is the key here.
  • Yes, the password change is why I no longer have access.
  • Resetting it to factory settings would make it so that I can not use internet/TV/phone. When I asked the technicians for the password, they said that they can't give it to me directly, as reconfiguring costs 10€ (20 BAM) and that there needs to be some kind of evidence that I asked for the password. They then told me to send an email to their support service with the new password and that they would change it remotely to that new one. Keep in mind, if I reset it to factory settings, or mess something up in the configuration, they will charge me 10€.
  • To give a little more insight, I believe the modems are pre-configured for a specific user, so that when the technicians arrive, all they have to do is plug in all the wires and it immediately works. Also, that router doesn't technically belong to me, because it's under contract, and I have to return it when the contract expires.
Data about WHEN the outages happen is provided in the mega link. I don't think accessing the router directly would help me at all, since the logs that I did take a look at, back when I had access to it, weren't very detailed, and only reported when the device turned on, turned off etc...

Jul 18, 2019
Also, here the script I used to log the internet outages. This batch script has been running non-stop from 5th of July to 16th of July.

:loop
echo Logged time = %time% %date%>> log.txt
ping 8.8.8.8 >> log.txt
timeout /t 5
goto loop