Internet Petitioning Nintendo To Make Satoru Iwata Into An Amiibo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be just like the Princess Diana Beanie Babies.
Only probably less useful because Amiibos are only compatible with certain games depending on if you have the right Amiibo.

(I'm not against him being an Amiibo, I just feel it'd be pointless because he wouldn't be included in any games)

Jalapenoman

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
I wish people would instead petition Nintendo to create a powerful console. something that could go head to head with the ps4 or the xbox 1.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I think that this is in pretty poor taste. I would have been ok with it if he was still alive, but it's a whole different thing making plastic toys out of people who aren't around to say what they think about it.

Although I really don't like Amiibos, I do like the idea of making one in honor of Mr. Iwata.

We can all have a little statue of him we can see and remember why we like gaming and to inspire us. Hell, it even serves to future generation if the figure lasts that long. I can totally imagine a future dad/mon telling his son/daughter about the great man Iwata was just because he/she asked about the Amiibo.

Cheers!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
I wish people would instead petition Nintendo to create a powerful console. something that could go head to head with the ps4 or the xbox 1.

well... i would rather have a wiiu than a bone or a ps4... so many better games that dont come to pc... hell bayonetta 2 is reason enough for me to get one.

Jul 17, 2015
How about we don't.

Not only is it hollow and vain, but it's also exploitative. The man hasn't been dead a week and people already want a toy of him? Nintendo is already honoring him their own way.

So, every statue you see on the streets from deceased people creep you out? Pictures of your deceased friends and family also creep you out?

Also, you think from idea conception to finished product, it will take a couple of days only?

I get your point, but you're totally missing the idea behind this request. It is not hollow or in vain. And it cannot be done without the family's consent anyway. Nintendo did not "own" Mr. Iwata, so even if they agree to this, they cannot do it without getting approval from his family.

Cheers!

Jul 17, 2015

No, I don't believe you do get my point. This isn't like memorials or statues made to honor famous people who died for some glorious cause or something, or old photos of deceased friends and family. It's not about how long it would take to actually make something to sell. This is about people wanting a glorified toy of a man not even a week after his death. It's people wanting to exploit the situation to try and get more collector's items.

How is that not shallow and vain?

Simply because *you are* making it sound as shallow and vain.

If you get such a "toy" with those things in mind, yes, it is. If you're not, then it is not.

Now, I won't be naive and say there are no people wanting to make a profit out of this (like keep one and then sell it as a collector's item or something), but the *real* intention of the petition is to honor someone, not exploit it's figure. Like I said, if you want to spin it that way, it does sound really sad, but fortunately, it is not that way in my eyes.

Cheers!

Jul 17, 2015

But the people wanting to buy this toy just to "honor" and "remember" him, don't actually give a damn about him and what he stands for in the first place. That's what makes it shallow. They're bandwagoning toy lovers who just see another opportunity to get more. If they actually cared about what Satoru Iwata stood for in the industry and what his principles were, they wouldn't be scrambling for a glorified toy of him to buy, they'd take it to heart and remember him that way.

It's exploitative, shallow, and vain.

That is precisely what I mean by you spinning it like something shallow and vain. You and I can't know what everyone is thinking of Mr. Iwata at any given time, but you can trust there are *some* that do have a valid sentiment of wanting to honor him by this petition. I mean, really, check the news about how much people left presents, flowers and kind words for him everywhere. If you want to see the glass half empty, so be it.

Plus, every person in the world has a different way to mourn and remember loved/dear ones that are no longer "here". And this kind of goes back to the argument of the statues, pictures and such. We're in a time where you can actually make this happen. You can give people a tangible memory of Mr. Iwata. Also, what about "campuses statues"? I that also exploitative? What about figurines Universities sell of important figures of the University that are no longer among us?

Now, I will say it would be also cool for Nintendo to release a 3D model of Mr. Iwata to 3D print it.

Cheers!

Jul 17, 2015

We're just going to have to agree to disagree at this point. Presents, flowers, and kind words are a fine way of honoring and remembering him, but wanting a toy of him isn't. How do any of us know that Satoru Iwata would even want something like this anyways?

We already have tangible memories of Satoru Iwata. Those memories didn't just die with him. His 2005 GDC keynote hasn't magically vanished with his death. The achievements Nintendo has because of him aren't gone or invalidated. I have no clue what you're on about with university figurines either.

And, seriously? A 3D printable model of Satoru Iwata? That is legitimately creepy. I think you're trying way to hard to rationalize people wanting to cash in on his death.

Edit: That's actually another thing. "Loved ones". You didn't know the man. You knew his public persona. Pay your respects, reminisce about how he affected your life, but seriously, move on. You don't need a piece of cheap plastic to honor him.

Giroro

Splendid
Bronze or stone statues and memorials are designed to be permanent and true to life. You usually don't make more than one statue of a person, and they are very rarely moved or sold. Monuments aren't built to make a profit.

Amiibos on the other hand, are fad plastic cartoon characters/caricatures that are mass produced by the millions and sold at a high mark up to children. They exist solely to be bought, sold, and traded. One of the major selling point of Amiibo is that you can scan the character into a game to fight against it - which is, in my opinion, what makes this way worse than of any other cheap plastic figurines of dead celebrities that already exist. I consider the idea of repeatedly beating Iwata to death inside of Smash Bros. (or any other game) to be repulsive, unthinkable even.

I very much don't consider statues and Amiibo to be the same thing. Not to mention, the people signing this petition aren't sitting there asking how his family wants to honor him, they just are selfishly demanding another toy to buy and more Nintendo characters to play with.

Times change and what you could do with metal, wood or stone in the old age, now it can be done with other materials. It has nothing to do with the material of choice here. Amiibos are statuses with an added feature, that is all. Remove that feature and it becomes a regular statue (made of plastic, of course). You can argue "quality"or "features", but never "not being a statue". What you or I consider, is not part of the discussion, what I said is a fact.

Now, I do agree on making it a fully enabled Amiibo with NFC. That would be a bad thing, since it would actually be "using" Mr Iwata and putting this petition out of the context of "honoring" him entirely. That's why making it a 3D model, so fans can print him, is also something I could see as something "cool" to have.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS