• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question internet speed/need help!

Sep 23, 2019
hey guys. i have internet at home with
500 mb/s download
30 mb/s upload

my router is in another room which is right next to my room. because i just cant use cable connection from my router to pc i bought some tp-link reapeater. it has 2 channels 2,4ghz at about 300mb/s and 5ghz at about max 870mb/s. my router allows 5G connection so i set it to 5G for my repeater but i am still not getting not even half of that. also i am running ethernet cable from reapeater bcause my pc doesnt have wifi access point or whatever. but when i run speed test i am getting only like 80-90mb/s download and 30mb/s upload.i am the only one who is connected on extended network.

Sep 23, 2019
and it doesnt matter if repeater is 1 meter from router in another room or if it is in my room....its still getting same speed max 90mb/s. my bro who is in room where is router ran the same speed test as me and he got proper results 500d/30u mb/s

Sep 23, 2019
so i looked at ethernet cable in control panel and i tried to look for duplex modes. i saw its locked on 100mb/s full duplex, i tried to set it higher to 1gb/s but straight after my connection on pc were gone and it wasnt coming back. any ideas? my cable support 1gb connection speed

ex_bubblehead

Champion
Wireless runs single duplex which means that you will never get more than 1/2 the speed you can get over a cable. Add repeaters and each one cuts by an additional 50%. If you are only seeing 100Mbps on a cabled connection then some device in the chain is NOT 1Gbps. Most likely a switch or router. If that cabled connection is to a wireless device then you will be limited to what wireless can provide given its limitations.

ASK THE COMMUNITY