[SOLVED] Internet speed stuck at 30Mpbs on a 230Mbps plan

Oct 25, 2020
I have been having issues with getting slow internet connections.

Internet plan: Spectrum 230Mbps down 11.5 up
Motherboard: MSI z390
Modem: Spectrum E31T2V1
Router: TPLink Archer C1200

Basically if I do a google speed test its stuck at 30Mbps. DSLreports is stuck at 80Mbps on a 230mbps plan. I had spectrum send some techs out and they took a look and deemed that the router was bottlenecking. Here's where it gets weird. If I connect directly to the modem DSLreports will show I'm getting the whole 230Mpbs but google will again only show 30Mbps. And 4k videos will still buffer. So why are my speed tests so different? Up until a week or two ago google would show 230Mbps so I don't understand why its suddenly locked at 30.

I ordered a new router that I'm gonna try on Saturday.
I also made sure my network adapters were up to date.
I tried switching from wired to wireless and I get the same result.

Any suggestions?

Solution
What is the make and model of your wireless networking card? If the router, when paired to your system via the Ethernet port gives you the whole plan worth of bandwidth, then you might want to see if the router has any firmware updates pending.

Following that, check and see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending. Speaking of motherboard's, you've listed an MSI board with a Z390 chipset, you didn't specify the exact model of the board(what series it's from).

Are you on Windows 10 version 20H2?

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your wireless networking card? If the router, when paired to your system via the Ethernet port gives you the whole plan worth of bandwidth, then you might want to see if the router has any firmware updates pending.

Following that, check and see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending. Speaking of motherboard's, you've listed an MSI board with a Z390 chipset, you didn't specify the exact model of the board(what series it's from).

Solution
First thing to try is a factory reset on the router. Then configure only the admin and wifi passwords. Modern routers have a feature that lets traffic bypass the cpu chip to increase the speed. Many options in the router disable this feature. The cpu in a router is still tiny compared to say a actual computer. Still I would think you would get more than 30mbps even using the CPU. This is a much larger issue for someone that say has gigabit internet and not using the bypass limits them to say 200mbps.

It could also be a cable problem. It is going to be cheaper to try new cables than a new route first. Cables can be very strange when they go bad. They can work on some machines and not others. It is made worse if you have fake cables. Be very sure to only buy cables that are pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 ( no flat or thin cables). Cat5e is good enough for gigabit speeds so larger "cat" number provides no benifit unless it happens to be cheaper. Watch very closely many of the cheaper cables are fakes because copper metal is the main cost in a cable.

Oct 25, 2020

router firmware was up to date. I checked to see if there were updates to my bios (MSI z390 gaming edge AC) and there were quite a few. So I downloaded the most recent from MSI for my exact MB and followed all the steps to update bios. After restarting I am now in an automatic repair loop. This is fun :)

Oct 25, 2020

Hey so I ended up just doing a fresh install of windows and it completely fixed the issue. All is good now. Thanks for the help!