Question Internet speeds drop when gaming

Beer_30

Prominent
May 27, 2020
So long story short I can hardwire into the modem or go into the router with an ethernet cable and whenever I open any game (warzone, iracing etc) my speeds go from gig down to 100mbps. I also put an ethernet cable to my laptop while the game is open and im still getting a gig down. Ive tried everything I can think of and can't seem to find a fix.

z490
32gigs corsair ram
2080ti
Intel ethernet controller l1225-V driver 1.0.2.8

Ralston18

Titan
Try another known working (at 1 GB) Ethernet cable.

Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled. In your case that would be the wired adapter. Any resident wireless network adapters should be disabled.

Disable IPv6.

Check that the network adapter's speed and duplex is set to auto.

Make and model information for modem and router?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post the results.

So what do you mean it goes to 100mbps. Are you looking at the ethernet settings or are you measuring this with some program.

Generally if the port drops to 100mbps it is a cable problem. What is strange is it should do more often for other traffic that is actually using more bandwidth. If the port sees to many errors it will renegotiate a slower speed and you get more errors when you try to pass more traffic. Games are pretty low bandwidth most well under 1mbps.

This also means it should not affect your game since 100mbps is more than enough.....but it should stay at 1gbit if working properly.

I would try a new cable since this is the most common cause. I suspect from the chipset part number (you typoed it I think) you have a 2.5g port. There have been all kinds of issues with these ports. I would check intels sites and see what drivers are available. Even worse there were motherboard made in the fall of 2020 that have intel chipset that have a hardware design issue. It can only partially be fixed by drivers. Not sure how you would determine if your motherboard was affected.

Beer_30

Prominent
May 27, 2020
So what do you mean it goes to 100mbps. Are you looking at the ethernet settings or are you measuring this with some program.

Generally if the port drops to 100mbps it is a cable problem. What is strange is it should do more often for other traffic that is actually using more bandwidth. If the port sees to many errors it will renegotiate a slower speed and you get more errors when you try to pass more traffic. Games are pretty low bandwidth most well under 1mbps.

This also means it should not affect your game since 100mbps is more than enough.....but it should stay at 1gbit if working properly.

I would try a new cable since this is the most common cause. I suspect from the chipset part number (you typoed it I think) you have a 2.5g port. There have been all kinds of issues with these ports. I would check intels sites and see what drivers are available. Even worse there were motherboard made in the fall of 2020 that have intel chipset that have a hardware design issue. It can only partially be fixed by drivers. Not sure how you would determine if your motherboard was affected.
Thanks for your reply. I will post a video of what is happening here shortly.

Beer_30

Prominent
May 27, 2020
Try another known working (at 1 GB) Ethernet cable.

Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled. In your case that would be the wired adapter. Any resident wireless network adapters should be disabled.

Disable IPv6.

Check that the network adapter's speed and duplex is set to auto.

Make and model information for modem and router?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post the results.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-NSMJ9F8
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 24-4B-FE-E1-AC-BD
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.173(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 27, 2021 8:26:43 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 28, 2021 8:26:42 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 34-2E-B7-1A-9F-C2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

I dont think that shows anything I shouldnt be posting but if it does please someone delete it or let me know.

Beer_30

Prominent
May 27, 2020
Here is the video it is even happening with OBS open and this is recorded not streaming so I am not sure why this is happening. I have tried numerous different cat5E and cat6 cables and it makes no difference. I also have the spectrum modem and my own arris surfboard SB8300 that also made no difference whether or not im hardwired into the modems or plugged into a router
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di1fPsinYBc&ab_channel=Beer30