Question Internet speeds not the same on all computers in the same house

BN91

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I hope this question is meant to be posted in Networking.

So my pc was getting around 270 download speed and near 12 upload with a ping of between 15 and 20.

Recently after noticing slower loading times I ran a speed test and I saw that I'm now only getting about half that download speed. The ping and upload remain the same. I did a speedtest on another computer in the house and it got the 270 download speed.

Both computers are wired to the router. I can't think of why they'd be getting different results. Especially when this computer used to get 270 down like the other computer.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Because speeds vary, literally, depending on network congestion between your ISP and the "cyber world at large."

If you're using something like the Speedtest app it is entirely possible to see some pretty significant variations, and more on the download speed side than upload, in short periods of time. A bottleneck anywhere along the path between your machine and the test destination affects the speed. The slowest link in the chain at any given moment in time is the maximum speed you're going to get.

BN91

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Because speeds vary, literally, depending on network congestion between your ISP and the "cyber world at large."

If you're using something like the Speedtest app it is entirely possible to see some pretty significant variations, and more on the download speed side than upload, in short periods of time. A bottleneck anywhere along the path between your machine and the test destination affects the speed. The slowest link in the chain at any given moment in time is the maximum speed you're going to get.

Just seems so odd. I was consistenly getting around 270 for the longest time. Now the last few weeks this 1 computer can't get anything over 120 download, yet a computer in the next room is getting the 270. This just started out of nowhere.

What do I do about this? I'm paying for 250 download speeds and this pc is getting half that. I mean I could contact Comcast but I was just wondering if it's something on my end that I can deal with on my own. Maybe a setting or something.