Question Internet suddenly slow during the day on my pc only

Oct 5, 2019
Hi. I have a problem where my PC speed is 3.5 mbps when it should be at lest 25 mbps. But it's not always slow.
At around midnight my speed goes up to where it should be "35-40mbps" but at 7 AM it goes back to 3.5-4mbps at max. When I do a speed test sometimes it goes up to 10 but quickly goes down after.
But it's only on my PC. My phone is picking the full speed no problem and my PC is wired in the router but even if I switch to wi-fi I get the same speed.
I did a scan with my anti-virus and no viruses or malware to be found. I updated my Ethernet driver but nothing changed.
The problem only started recently I never had any problem with my internet at this point. I even called my ISP and I was on the phone for 3 hours trying to figure that out, but the problem is not on there end and there's nothing more they can do.
I searched online and some people had the same problem but was solved when they uninstalled AMD Quick Stream and I don't have that.
I also tried with a Live Linux USB Drive to see if it was windows playing games with me but I got the same results as well.
Can any of you help me?
I'm on Windows 10
____
My specs are
-Ryzen 7 3700X
-B450 MSI Pro Carbon AC
-RTX 2070
-16 GB DDR4 3200Mhz

Since you booted the machine to linux it eliminates most the common causes. You are left with something like parental control setting on the router. You could change the mac address on your ethernet nic card since that would get your a different IP addresses also. That should bypass any restrictions in the router.

This tends to be unlikely if you control the router. But if it is not this you have eliminated all sources. It has to be software either in the pc or the router. It can not be on the internet because all traffic appears to come from the WAN ip and there is no way to determine which device on your lan did it. Since it only affects the one pc it can't be something like your ISP.

Time of day issues also would not be a hardware issue. Those tend to be completely random or a constant problem.

Reactions: Krunces
Oct 5, 2019
You're the first one to ever respond to my problem it's been 2 days since I'm trying forums and never got an answer. For changing the ip adress, my isp told me to disconnect the modem for 10 minutes and that should change it since it's a dynamic adress and it did in fact changed, but the problem persist. I have absolutely no idea of what could cause this, and it only started 3-4 days ago. There's nothing in parental control in the router also. But if something was broken like my network card in the motherboard I don't think the speed would come back at midnight and go away a couple hours later. I'm out of ideas and don't know what to do at this point.

This sounds like a routing issue as your isp. If you can hit the same website and have problems with multiple devices, then it would point to some sort of routing issue at the isp or beyond.

But if it's just your system, then whatever the last change you did would be the strongest culprit.