Introducing the New Tom's Hardware Community

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Haha I was wondering why I felt so confused when I got on this morning. Can't say that I like the new layout 100% but its not bad by any means. I think that I just have to get used to it. No more ranking system???

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Kind of strange - I have a post in computer peripherals and the system keeps throwing in a playstation tag. I keep deleting the tag and re-posting yet it continues to reappear....

Also, almost every time I try to edit or reply to a post, I get a 404 and it won't work. This wasn't happening for me until several hours after the transition, so that implies (at least to me) that the issue is not purely the fault of the transition unless more changes have been made that broke something after the initial transition.

I'm now seeing a 404 with everything that I post. IDK if this will even be posted when I hit the submit button, so maybe I'm just wasting my time by saying this, but I can't seem to post anything anymore and I think that it's worth a shot.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
1. can something be done to the rightmost column in forums ? Its wasting a lot of screen space.

[strike]2. For people with social tracking protection, signing in is impossible on the homepage, and difficult on the forum :fou:[/strike]

Edit : Deleting all cookies from tomshardware.com resolved this.
3.Nice job overall. Will need some time to get used to.

Edit2 : The existing hyperlinks to forum threads dont work anymore :( . When i clicked on the one i have bookmarked, i got a 404 error page. I had to search in the forum for that specific thread and manually update the bookmark.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
but I like ads :(

Bite your tongue!

Does suck to see that all my work I have put in these past 3 weeks to rank up has disappeared. Now im only a "Reader". Haha nice.

Your hard work has not gone in vain, and your status will soon be restored once the badges system has been fully launched. The process is already underway today and users will start seeing their post counts and old badges return, as well as some new badges become available.

Kind of strange - I have a post in computer peripherals and the system keeps throwing in a playstation tag. I keep deleting the tag and re-posting yet it continues to reappear....

The tag system may take some getting used to, and it might end up a little wonky at first as we sort out the bugs. But you'll find that searches will be easier, sifting through content considerably simpler, and new badges will be popping up periodically based on the most used tags, too.

Is it just me, or does the forum view for the articles such as this no longer support the comment rating system like the article view does?

Let me get back to you on that - I'll look into it.
Edit: Correct, article view still allows comment voting, but forum view does not. This was an intentional change.

404 errors!

We're working on this. In the meantime, if you are running into 404 errors, be sure you've cleared your cache, as you might have some previously cached versions of the forum stored in your browser files.

an something be done to the rightmost column in forums ? Its wasting a lot of screen space.

Yup, we're hoping to address the right-side column by making it collapsible again.

Nice job overall. Will need some time to get used to.

Don't rush it - it's a big new forum, and we've added a few new areas that we think have been needed for a while. It will take some time to get acclimated to where stuff is.

The existing hyperlinks to forum threads dont work anymore . When i clicked on the one i have bookmarked, i got a 404 error page. I had to search in the forum for that specific thread and manually update the bookmark.

Some of the URLs may have changed, especially relating to individual posts within a thread. You might find it more useful to check your tracked threads under a given category, since all of your flags would have ported over.

Hey good to see the revamp, but i have to ask, is there a mobile version of the forums yet?

Not yet, but this is something we're working on next!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
I was about to throw a hissy fit over my badges not being there. Luckily, I decided to read the post before flying into a rage over my internet points. So relieved I will still have them all!! :)

seller417

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
i can see how people are so upset about the changes...the prospect of me losing my Tom's Hardware badges has kept me up most nights.

Badges?! We don't need no stinkin Badges!

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Q. That's a million registrations, not users. How many user do you have?

jpishgar: Depends on how you define user. Registrations is the best metric for figuring that out,

I can't agree. Game sites regularly crow about how many "users" they have even though there's a percentage (maybe a significant one) who signed up but never came back and a greater percentage who joined and were active but have moved on. A user is a person who is using. "Active within the last three months" is a definition that I've gone by.

but we also measure in terms of replies per thread, threads over time, and a few other key points.

Fewer than the million,. I'd imagine.

"A heaping butt-load of users" works, to answer your question. :p

Heh heh. That'll do. Maybe not quite the same as an actual number but you're obviously happy. :-D

Looks like my "addict" status is gone. Hopefully will be fixed soon.
The replied threads need to have a selection tool to allow for deleting/ignoring them, more than one at a time; I don't need to have to scroll down to access/delete some 3 months-old replies that I don't care for anymore. Not to mention that some of these threads give an access error when trying to access them, hence becoming a permanent stickler in the list.
Overall, I am more and more disappointed with the new format. I didn't get the reason why it had to be so radically changed.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
After being a long time member of this site. I no longer find it nearly as easy to contribute. Before I considered your site to be the best forum layout of any I contribute to. Now it's just a disappointment.

Bring back my right side column, I want the list of the threads I've contributed to and now have an update without having to open a new page.

Status
Not open for further replies.