Investigating Reports Of Intel Skylake CPUs Damaged By CPU Coolers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
In general, why is there a lack of available brackets to support or brace large CPU coolers ? You just can't hang a large, cantilevered, multi-heatpipe cooler with 1 or 2 fans onto a semi-delicate motherboard/CPU and expect CPU to survive the shock loads experienced in moving a large tower around. Also very specific torque specs for fasteners would help to prevent over-tightening of attaching hardware.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

its not the heatspreader that is bending, its the substrate that is affected.
It's also not Intel's responsibility if a company doesn't adhere to Intel's specifications when designing its mounting mechanisms.

Thus far it seems to be isolated to Scythe coolers but Intel is doing its due diligence to varify that.

I never said it was the heatspreder bending. I stated that with another .05. Of material the shock loads could be spread out. Intel has such a thin chip now they need to start thinking about cradling their processors more carefully. Vs just slapping a metal box over their processor and calling it a day.

Bamming1

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

intel doesn't make a cooler for the i 6600k? Do they and apologies for my last message

ahmyday

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Wow! After being stuck in the dilemma, I just bought the 4690k over the 6600k.
IMHO Skylake is still too fresh to switch platforms.

InvalidError

Titan

Ironic considering that the 6600K and 6700K do not ship with an HSF.

I suppose the increased price compared to the non-k models on top of omitting the stock HSF is intended to cover warranty replacements from aftermarket cooling.

Fa____

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

its not the heatspreader that is bending, its the substrate that is affected.
It's also not Intel's responsibility if a company doesn't adhere to Intel's specifications when designing its mounting mechanisms.

Thus far it seems to be isolated to Scythe coolers but Intel is doing its due diligence to varify that.
Intel should adhere to their specs and make all cpu in the proper socket the same demensions. Having a CPU 2-3mm thinner and there's more force on the socket, woah didn't see this coming, lol.

Bill_22

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
Hello should I be worried I got the cryorig universal on my 6700k will it blend ? Its not h.p.m.s xd but i am scared after all this stuff I am reading xd ty

Firstly this is definitely NOT limited to Scythe coolers . There are plenty of others involved but Scythe have been the only ones to try and create a solution [so far].

The main problem is that the intel substrate is weaker . Sure it might handle 50 lbs of static load but this is not how cpu sockets get loaded all the time . Blaming the oem cooler manufacturers is weak .

It also doesnt help that intel sockets do not support the substrate anywhere except the corners . Under the center of the socket is free space with the lightly sprung pins . The design is inherently weaker than the older intel and AMD socket

Brian Blair

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I will stick to my IvyBridge!

It makes me mad that these companies are thinking they can get away with crap like this now! AMD re-branding and re-branding! Nvidia giving false specs! And now Intel's new reckless CPU design! And then you of'course have the worshipers actually claiming it's not Intel's fault! That it's the users fault for using a large cooler? Really? People today are just so dumbed down they are sick in the head! Pathetic wastes of space! I feel sorry for them!

InvalidError

Titan

Really.

Intel never specified their CPUs for use with tall 2lbs heatsinks, especially not when installed prior to shipping. It isn't Intel's fault if aftermarket HSFs exceed mechanical specifications during shipping in a prebuilt system. Every HSF manufacturer who has commented on this 'discovery' agrees that their large models should ship separately from the rest of the system.

Shipping a system with a large heatsink is a whole different matter and larger shock loads (package bouncing around) could definitely cause damage. This has been a known issue far longer than skylake's been in existence. For the typical system that gets built and placed in the working environment the larger coolers shouldn't be as much of a problem.

I haven't had a chance to work with skylake motherboards, my previous motherboards have all been quite solid. No real flexing, that typically indicates using a cheap or budget board that really cut some corners. Some of the responsibility is going to fall on the individual, especially if building their own system from diy parts. Common sense is always encouraged.

The other factor in larger heatsinks (I've used many of them) is the increased size of the backplate. Where a lighter cooler like the stock affair that has individial push pins mechanisms which place stress directly on the motherboard at the mounting holes, larger ones do not. They use a rather substantial metal plate that spreads the load/weight of the cooler out over a much larger portion of the board.

Here's an example of the backplate for the current cooler I'm using, a dark rock pro 3. It doesn't apply stress on the individual mounting holes, rather it spreads it over a much wider area and the use of a solid metal back plate transfers the stress load much more evenly. Think of something like wall board in a home, a simple nail through a smaller contact point will easily pull through a fragile substrate. Use an expanding type clip fastener that has legs which release behind the wall board and spread that load out and heavier items can be hung safely from a fragile surface.
http://prntscr.com/9au7m7

This seemed like a good example not just because it's my current cooler but because I've personally seen the amount (or lack of) flex on the board and weighing in at around 2.64lbs I think makes it a good example of a larger/heavier cooler. I wouldn't recommend shipping my system with the cooler installed, or dropping it a foot. Then again it's a computer, I wouldn't recommend dropping it a foot regardless. Electronics aren't soccer balls.

Intel doesnt even supply a heatsink with the 6700k and 6600k . They are also fully aware of the kind of heatsink enthusiasts use .
Seems to me to be very reckless to make a product without knowing how it responds to the choices you force on your own clients

InvalidError

Titan

Intel is not forcing anyone to buy 6600K/6700K CPUs and people who buy them usually know what they are getting into.

Janemba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
My haswell has been get shock so may times.. gladly nothing happened.. thats why i prefer Non-tower cooler.

lordstein

Reputable
May 29, 2015
it would be possible to someone on tomshardware make a survey with model of processor, heatsink type , heatsink model, the time of use, and processor status.
We would have to help disassembling our heatsink and processor
i have i7 6700k in box and i am waiting for gigabyte z170 gaming 7.

Intel is not forcing anyone to buy 6600K/6700K CPUs and people who buy them usually know what they are getting into.
Intel is forcing anyone who buys a 6600 or 6700K to buy an aftermarket cooler .
Given that intel has a research budget of astronomical size you'd have thought they would have taken a few moments to consider what coolers enthusiasts were likely to use .
I know if my intel cpu had broken like this I would be wanting a full replacement from intel . And maybe more

InvalidError

Titan

What heatsinks enthusiasts end up using is none of Intel's problem. Intel published mechanical specifications for the CPUs. It is up to HSF manufacturers and end-users to ensure that their installation remains within specifications, Intel has very little control over that.

Intel does offer an intel based cooling solution for skylake cpu's if people feel safer going that route.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BXTS15A-THERMAL-SOLUTION-SUPPORTS/dp/B013U542QE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449479114&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=intel+ts15a+cooler

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180786-REG/intel_bxts15a_air_cooled_thermal_solution.html

I would think being an official intel cooler and skylake approved that it would keep the warranty intact. I'm not sure they've ever officially warranted cpu's with aftermarket coolers although people have been using them for years without much issue. No major chip failure with the overwhelming amount of aftermarket coolers in use necessitating cpu warranties.

Bamming1

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I saw the b&h site you mention and it not designed for overclocking.I guess no choice for larger coolers.

If the concern was no aftermarket cooler providing warranty I think that intel cooler I mentioned would fit the bill. Intel would have a hard time denying a warranty using their cooler with their cpu and both cpu and cooler are covered by a 3yr warranty. Using a larger cooler designed for overclocking isn't going to help retain the warranty since intel doesn't warrant their cpu's for overclocking purposes anyway.

There's no guarantee written anywhere that a k series chip (any of them from any generation) are guaranteed to reach x amount over stock speed out of the box or warranty that reaching such speeds with any voltage over default is covered by warranty protection. Worrying about an aftermarket cooler for overclocking and warranty retention, that ship has sailed.

Edit: on cpu overclocking (regardless of cooler choice)
https://communities.intel.com/thread/60979?start=0&tstart=0

If concerned about overclocking there's an additional performance tuning protection plan people can purchase and applies only to boxed retail cpu's (oem/tray don't qualify) that allows for a cpu replacement during the 3yr warranty period if running the cpu out of spec (aka overclocked or underclocked). It's not covered under the standard retail warranty though.

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

The plans run anywhere from $20 for a 4690k to $25 for a 6500k/4790k to $30 for a 6700k and are good for 1 cpu replacement due to oc damage.

The issue is mainly when the product is being shipped. Even before this, even with AMD, most smarter OEMs suggest to disconnect the heatsink while shipping due to not only possible damage to the processor but also to the board, GPU and other devices.

Bamming1

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I glad you told me about site I bet a lot of people didn't know. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.