ioSafe's Rugged Drive Meets a Shotgun and an M6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
As it is a hard drive, and not an SSD, it probably wouldn't survive the g's of an explosion.
I think it's pretty funny that the people who gave you guys the gun didn't even know what it was.
But an M6 is a shotgun, just for future reference.
Jane, you must have been driving your fellow editors crazy that day. Now I know how tom's gets all the good dirt during these CES events. They sick you on whoever's got the info. >.

dl100

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Forget the tech news, more pictures of Jane being badass. Remember the pic from the Sony store in NYC.

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
wonder why they didn't use any handguns.. it's obvious the rifle would just go right through it, but what about things guns less powerful...?
enter mythbusters!

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Holy Shrapnel! That's Jane!??? The same Jane I was criticizing not too long ago? I take it back! I TAKE IT BACK!! Please don't shoot my *ehrm* Hard Drive *cough* off... :eek:

psg1john

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Its Just housed in 3mm armor plate/Harden steel which will stop all pistol rounds up to .44 mag and all shotgun rounds.

For jj463rd you need need at least slightly over 1inch of armor plate to stop a 50BMG, and AP rounds over 2inchs. so over 24mm of armor plate for standard 50BMG and over 50mm for AP rounds

psg1john

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
After looking at the picture it must be lower grade armor, seeing shotgun bird shot, potholed it. If it was high grade armor, it wouldn't leave a dent.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
It's also an open question if it was steel or lead shot. Lead is traditional but in some areas you might find steel (particularly for hunting).

Externally an M4 or AR-15 variant would look very similar, but if it was a civilian owned gun it's almost certainly an AR-15.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Pictures of Jane shooting an M6? Best article ever. Hands down. It looks like a lot of fun too! The gun shooting I mean...

As for the drive, I have a feeling it could have supported a couple more birdshots, but a single M6 shot without the shotgun shots would have rendered it useless anyway! :)

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
[citation][nom]dl100[/nom]Forget the tech news, more pictures of Jane being badass. Remember the pic from the Sony store in NYC.[/citation]

Was that Jane? Damn I think I am in love ;)

But seriously, She is one pretty girl. Why Toms didn't take pics of her for Christmas is beyond my imagination. Guns and Chicks.....only in America.....too bad I'm in India.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]In all fairness, we were told it was an M6 and guns are illegal where I come from. I never had a chance!He is Canadian. Firearms etiquette is not his strong suit.[/citation]

I am Canadian and I own an AR-15. Its highly restricted but not illegal. Id be he is from Toronto or Vancouver, that would explain everything.

[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]It's also an open question if it was steel or lead shot. Lead is traditional but in some areas you might find steel (particularly for hunting).Externally an M4 or AR-15 variant would look very similar, but if it was a civilian owned gun it's almost certainly an AR-15.[/citation]

Looks like a LOOONG barrel for a carbine. Just saying.

G

Agree with Bob. It's deff. and AR-15 (a semi-auto (civilian model) of the military M4, which is a variant of an M16) I should know. I just built one.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]I am Canadian and I own an AR-15. Its highly restricted but not illegal. Id be he is from Toronto or Vancouver, that would explain everything.Looks like a LOOONG barrel for a carbine. Just saying.[/citation]
Calgary, actually. Sadly, I don't drive a truck or own any guns. :p

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
The gun looks like M6 or "M6A1" as taiso pointed out. It is probably shooting 6.8 SPC. The M6A1 is kinda of an obscure gun - very few are out compared, they are expensive, and the majority of shooters have not seen one. They also look a lot like an AR-15 because it is modeled on an AR-15...hence the confusion.

Whether it is a AR-15, M4, M16, or M6A1, it doesn't matter: it ripped through that case like butter.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]JaneFan1[/nom]How do we become fan's of Jane on facebook!?[/citation]

I don't have enough fans for a Facebook fan page!

[citation][nom]waikano[/nom]Jane, Have you been working out? You look slimmer and loving the article too funny.[/citation]

I'm not sure which picture you're comparing me to but yes.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I don't have enough fans for a Facebook fan page!I'm not sure which picture you're comparing me to but yes.[/citation]
tom's hardware next exclusive feature: jane's upgraded biceps and abs?

Status
Not open for further replies.