ioSafe's Rugged Drive Meets a Shotgun and an M6

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom][citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I'm not sure which picture you're comparing me to but yes.[/citation]

It would have been the first one I saw of you way back when you were at a pub maybe sitting with a bunch of the other Tom's employees it's been a while a year or two. Anyway looking good, keep it up!!

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i Agree when i saw: ioSafe's rugged drive meets shotgun
i was thinking a normal one birdshot: So what?
but not like my hard drive will be shot anyways.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Seems like a waste of a drive and ammo. I mean bird shot? Really. Not much of test there. How about buck shot or slugs and did anyone really believe the drive would survive a round from an assault rifle? I'm willing to bet a typical .22 could put a hole in it.

psg1john

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
The drive with the bird shot, is made of aluminum armor, and with the .223 round that shot though it, that why the bird shot potholed it and the rifle round killed it.

Wonder why they didn't try testing it on the titanium, if they did titanium harden armor it would for sure stop the handgun rounds, same if it was harden steel.

you need 9.5mm of armor to stop 5.56/45 [M193]

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
"The Intel SSD had to be removed from its aluminum enclosure before we could see any data." --- I don't think it's legal to call anything made purely of any grade of aluminum "armor", unless it's for decorative purposes... lol

Also - someone asked if it was steel shot vs lead shot...
Answer: Steel shot - Vegas in-door ranges do not allow the use of lead (may be with other States' in-door ranges too); A volume of lead if used in-door would build up in the air - and no one wants to be breathing that stuff.

[citation][nom]PSG1JOHN[/nom]The drive with the bird shot, is made of aluminum armor, and with the .223 round that shot though it, that why the bird shot potholed it and the rifle round killed it.Wonder why they didn't try testing it on the titanium, if they did titanium harden armor it would for sure stop the handgun rounds, same if it was harden steel.you need 9.5mm of armor to stop 5.56/45 [M193][/citation]

Exactly - any armoring would have to be a 300-series, or 15-5/17-4 grade (ect) of stainless steel or a high-Nickel MP35N Alloy; and even then, most non-AP (lead or non-jacketted) munition will carry enough inertia to penetrate plating the thickness of the amount of displacement (width of the projectile).
Unfortunately, Titanium falls very close behind Aluminum in toughness - it's structurally strong, but too soft to be (safely!) effective.

What *would* be resistant though, is Spectry - 1/2" Ceramic plating, saturated with 7000-series aluminum. 70% weight of steel, 150%+ greater toughness... Speaking of which, consider this my patent-pending declaration for new hard-drive enclosures ;) LOL

G

Does it really matter what gun or type of shot was used? Hard drives are not supposed to be in that situation, what would be a more suitable test for a hard drive is to show the durability of the drive and the errors during read and write cycles. Ericvr [Victoria, Australia]

G

I find it cute that they used the aluminum rather than titanium casing..

Status
Not open for further replies.