EVOx23

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Alright well I would like to first introduce myself to everyone, Since this is my first post on this great forum :hello:

My name is Gregory I'm 23 years old and i'm in the military [Just got back for the holidays, thank god! :bounce: ]

Well anyway here is my issue

Recently i picked up a computer from a friend of mine
Which has the Ip-95 board

Currently it has [excuse if i type anything wrong, since im not really computer savvy]

A intel duo-core 3.0ghz processor
Abit-IP95 [of course]
2gigs of ram
PCI-e X16
500gb hard drive [i think its sata or something like that]
and a geforce 8400gs 256mb video card

I plan on upgrading to 4gigs of ram and a better video card
[9800gt,9600gt,etc] Since i have alot of time on my hands i would like to play some good games such as Call of duty 4, Unreal tournament 3, and maybe crysis

Im not using a crazy resolution it's set right now on 1024x 768 on a 21inch
monitor

I spoke to some guy and he suggested I would get these 2 things
But im not sure if it'll be compatible or not since he never wrote back to me again

Here are the links/parts that was suggested to me, Tell me what you think

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500059

I saw soo many versions of the 9800gt[xfx,zotac,evga,etc] which made me really confused
Any light on these 2 issues would be great

Thanks in advance to everyone that posted and read this thread

Happy holidays! :D

The memory will run at 533, not 800, but should work. The 9800gt may require a stronger power supply. I suggest one with 20-24 amps minimum on the 12v rail, whose specs are listed on the ps label. You can also add up all the 12v rails to get 24 amps; some have up to 4 separate 12v rails for using more than one video card at a time.

EVOx23

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
This is the power supply i have

The 9800gt requires 2 molex connectors to power the video card

And as for the memory you think theres a better alternative or should i just pick up the one i showed you Since memory is cheap these days