Question IP Address links

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2022
[Moderator edited to break up one solid paragraph of text.]

I am trying to ascertain whether you can determine if two different IP addresses belong to the same user if all but the last two digits match.

Basically this is an internet stalker situation and I've learned (at least one) of the possible perpetrator's IP addresses. I know he knows about computers, I know he uses VPNs/proxy's on occasion, and often hides behind fake accounts.

He offered up his IP at one point, as an argument against one of these anonymous accounts being him. On another occasion, I was able to capture an IP associated with hours worth of email account spam where the perp malicously subscribed me to all kinds of things from newspapers to Scientology newsletters and actually made appointments with various Scientology centers in my name.

So much so that i was getting multiple emails directly from Scientologists. Bottom line, they offered me the IP of the person who signed me up, and it turns out all of the subscriptions that night came from the same IP.

It is one digit off of the one offered by the person I believe is trolling me. Meaning the last two digits after the dot are different, but the first three are the same.

Comcast is the ISP for both the person I believe is my harasser, as well as the IP I captured.

When I do a simple internet search of the IP I captured, it says no proxy. So my question is, can I be reasonably sure it's the same person if all but the last two digits are the same?

Maybe what I need is someone to explain what each digit in the IP means. If it helps, this is the IP I captured: 73.61.8.235. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 16, 2022
Nevermind. I see the moderator is issuing me multiple warnings. I'm not sure why you folks have been so testy on this topic. I'd like to say you were helpful, alas... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.