[SOLVED] IP range router and ap mode

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
I have searched the net but not getting any idea probably due to not enough knowledge.
Soon I am going for an internet connection. ISP is forcing me to use their own router. They say it has fiber port and does not support something called bridged mode so I need to put my router in ap I think access point mode to get coverage in other rooms.
I will be opting for some tplink c6 or a6
Now if ISP router is 192.168.1.1 what should be the IP address of router used as ap
Can two routers (main & ap) share same dhcp ip range for ip assignment or should they be different like one having range from say 192.168.1.100 thru 120 and another ap router from say 121 thru 150.

Solution
When you run the second router as a AP it pretty much just adding new radio chips to the ISP router. It does not have any concept of IP addresses or dhcp servers. You need to be very sure the DHCP function is not active.

Since the IP address on the AP is only used to manage the device itself you just need to pick a IP outside of the DHCP range on the main router. A safe one would be 192.168.1.250 because dhcp servers tend to assign from the low end and will never get to 250. It is best though configure the main router DHCP pool to have a small number of addresses you can use for static assignment like you do on the AP.
When you run the second router as a AP it pretty much just adding new radio chips to the ISP router. It does not have any concept of IP addresses or dhcp servers. You need to be very sure the DHCP function is not active.

Since the IP address on the AP is only used to manage the device itself you just need to pick a IP outside of the DHCP range on the main router. A safe one would be 192.168.1.250 because dhcp servers tend to assign from the low end and will never get to 250. It is best though configure the main router DHCP pool to have a small number of addresses you can use for static assignment like you do on the AP.

Reactions: ravin_29
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I have searched the net but not getting any idea probably due to not enough knowledge.
Soon I am going for an internet connection. ISP is forcing me to use their own router. They say it has fiber port and does not support something called bridged mode so I need to put my router in ap I think access point mode to get coverage in other rooms.
I will be opting for some tplink c6 or a6
Now if ISP router is 192.168.1.1 what should be the IP address of router used as ap
Can two routers (main & ap) share same dhcp ip range for ip assignment or should they be different like one having range from say 192.168.1.100 thru 120 and another ap router from say 121 thru 150.
If your TPLink is in AP mode, then your TPLink would be a 192.168.1.x -- So what is "X" ? That depends on the ISP router. You need to look at the DHCP range on the ISP router and set "X" to something that is NOT in the DHCP range. For example if the ISP router DHCP range is 2 to 200 then you would set the TPLink to 192.168.1.201.
If the TPLink is near the ISP router, you may want to DISABLE the WIFI on the ISP router. If they are separated by one or more rooms, then you just need to set the channels on the two devices to be different. 2.4Ghz WIFI channels are 1, 6, 11. 5Ghz WIFI pick channels less than 50 -- 38 and 44 for example. Start with 40MHZ channel width.

graphic-80211-acChannels-all.png

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks a lot. I am getting some idea now. So does it mean that ap router is not assigned ip by main router when in ap mode even if I need to wire ap to main router?
tplink archer c6 has dhcp option even in ap mode!
So I guess the ip range is only to be specified on main router and anything connected to ap will still get its ip from the main router?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks a lot. I am getting some idea now. So does it mean that ap router is not assigned ip by main router when in ap mode even if I need to wire ap to main router?
tplink archer c6 has dhcp option even in ap mode!
So I guess the ip range is only to be specified on main router and anything connected to ap will still get its ip from the main router?
It depends on the router being used as an AP. It is always better to have your network hardware assigned to static IP addresses. That way you can always get to the GUI.
Correct, the IP range is a function of the DHCP server. The DHCP server is on the primary router and there can be only one DHCP server in a home network.
Also correct, anything connected to an AP gets the IP address from the DHCP server on the primary router.