iPad mini... Anomaly.

thunderclaw98

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
Uh... Well, how to put this... Right, I know that this is impossible, I'm not that dull, but frankly the blasted thing is just messing with me now.
So, after using my iPad all day in sixth form, I drained all the battery down to 4% charge. This was at about half two, the iPad gave me a low battery (5%) warning (the 10% one happened an hour or so beforehand) so, I turned off the wifi, reduced the screen brightness, and used the iPad as little as I could for the last hour of sixth form.
As I packed up, I checked the battery, and it read 4%.
Now, I am typing this five hours after the end of class - and I have not touched the iPad in that time. (save for taking it out of my bag when I got home)
Now... This is the bizarre thing.
About 7 minutes ago, I sat down in my living room, opened my iPad, looked at the battery, blinked a couple of times, then looked again.
8%
Somehow, the iPad has gained charge. I suspect that for some reason, the iPad thought that it had less battery than it actally did. However, I am completely baffled by this, and would quite like some form of suggestion as to why this might have occurred, and how to prevent it.
I have an iPad 1st gen. Not running latest iOS.

Battery percentages are just an estimate. A battery is a sustained chemical reaction: a lot of factors can affect that reaction. Temperature especially plays a big role in how a battery stores and discharges energy. You stopped draining your battery and let it cool down: the software that estimates what percentage is left adjusted.