iPad Mini Costs an Estimated $188 to Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
the screen was half the devices cost and yet is nowhere near the quality of the competitors, kinda sounds like apple didn't get the best pricing possible.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
looking at the specs, i think it should be cheaper than 188 USD :p but sold it a lot more than competition, just for crapple fan to waste their money :p

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Apple has always made significant margins on their products, why should they lower the price if people are happy to buy it regardless? Just good business.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This device should be selling for $269. It's good enough to command that premium over the $200 devices, but $329 is milking their fan base.

I agree with Apple on one thing, 7" tablets are a shade too small. 7.9" is really as small as they should be. But, not for $129 more.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Dj1001[/nom]the screen was half the devices cost and yet is nowhere near the quality of the competitors, kinda sounds like apple didn't get the best pricing possible.[/citation]
If it sells like hotcakes again, then they got the pricing right.

halcyon

Splendid
I went my local Apple Store this evening and it was jam packed. I didn't know what all the commotion was but it was the Mini. I picked one up...and looked at it. Cute but I just wasn't impressed with the display after using Retina Displays and other great screens (like my SGS3, etc.) I did walk out with a 4th gen iPad. It is so much faster than my Asus Transformer Pad Infinity that it almost doesn't make sense. I'm returning the Asus w/in the next couple of days. Its performance leaves quite a bit to be desired and that's too bad.

...I think the Mini is overrated but the iPad 4 is very very fast. Web pages load instantly, always render the desktop editions (unlike my SGS3 and Infinity). What it lacks in customability it makes up for in performance.

Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Apple has always made significant margins on their products, why should they lower the price if people are happy to buy it regardless? Just good business.[/citation]
You still have to account for the expenses that each Apple store has, the margins other retailers make assuming it's not sold in Apple stores, distribution costs, advertisements, and dividends. That's about the same margin as the Surface.

[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]The title of the article should be "Ipad mini should cost $199".[/citation]
Then everyone would buy one, and no one can complain about Apple. That's no fun.

[citation][nom]ipwn3r456[/nom]Better price than the iPhone... the iPhone can be build around the same price as the iPad mini, but they charge it so much.[/citation]
R&D and different materials used. The iPhone design from an iPhone 3GS to 4, or 4S to 5 requires a lot more brainpower than compared to an iPad 3 to an iPad mini since it's basically using the same design, only smaller much like the iPod touch.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]R&D and different materials used. The iPhone design from an iPhone 3GS to 4, or 4S to 5 requires a lot more brainpower than compared to an iPad 3 to an iPad mini since it's basically using the same design, only smaller much like the iPod touch.[/citation]

Then how come the iPod Touch is much cheaper comparing to the iPhones? They are much smaller like the iPhone does.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Considering other costs like research, manufacturing, advertising, etc, the cost of the iPad mini is very fairly priced, and if you think otherwise you're delusional

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
What Apple IS NOT telling you is, it's $188 in China's Yuan. So the actual US Dollar spent to make this cheap toy is only $30.10, from US dollar to China's Yuan.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I went my local Apple Store this evening and it was jam packed. I didn't know what all the commotion was but it was the Mini. I picked one up...and looked at it. Cute but I just wasn't impressed with the display after using Retina Displays and other great screens (like my SGS3, etc.) I did walk out with a 4th gen iPad. It is so much faster than my Asus Transformer Pad Infinity that it almost doesn't make sense. I'm returning the Asus w/in the next couple of days. Its performance leaves quite a bit to be desired and that's too bad. ...I think the Mini is overrated but the iPad 4 is very very fast. Web pages load instantly, always render the desktop editions (unlike my SGS3 and Infinity). What it lacks in customability it makes up for in performance. Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself.[/citation]

I think your TF700 is bugged. Mines extremely fast and showing it off to all myiPad 3and4 buddies, they ended up buying it.

Of course with a little help with root, O.C. no useless bloatwares, and JELLY BEAN!, it's lightning fast.

e56imfg

Distinguished
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]The title of the article should be "Ipad mini should cost $199".[/citation] Except Apple needs to pay their employees and bills and such.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]dauntekong[/nom]I think your TF700 is bugged. Mines extremely fast and showing it off to all myiPad 3and4 buddies, they ended up buying it.Of course with a little help with root, O.C. no useless bloatwares, and JELLY BEAN!, it's lightning fast.[/citation]
I do wonder. Loading web pages is very laggy for me (compared to the iPad). Its a 64GB unit and with its quad-core I expected it to be buttery smooth (yes, it does have Jelly Bean). My SGS3 is plenty quick. ...and to top it off the Infinity came with a dead pixel. For me, the iPad 4 is better ( even though it costs a little more) and now I have to go through the hassel of sending the Infinity back. See, I thought the SGS3 was a reflection of the state of Android...but its not. Say what you want about iOS but I've never had an iPhone or iPad with a dead pixel, poor performance, or any other problem. I love my SGS3 and I look forward to when I can take for granted that most Android tablets perform just as well or better. :heink:

panini

Honorable
May 7, 2012
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]I have just purchased tomsappleharware.com , and am willing to sell it to Tom, for Five hundred Infinity Zillion Dollars, no less.[/citation]

Apple has always been a big player in the tech industry. Apple news is tech news.

Status
Not open for further replies.