iPad Trade-Ins Rise 1,000 Percent After iPad Mini Unveiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
So that couldn't possibly have anything to do with the Windows 8 release tomorrow, right?

I'm not saying that Windows 8 is the reason for this, but to attribute it to only the iPad news while ignoring other emerging markets may be a tad short-sighted...

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]fact! over 20% of toms latest news articles are apple related.lets boycott apple posts! After this one of course.[/citation]

And what's the percentage of Windows 8 news coming out?... I'd bet more than 20%...

My point is, so what? Tech news is tech news. If you want a filter, go to the manufacturer website for news.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
It's crazy how iSheep like to get ripped off TWICE lol. Once by crApple and once by these trade in sites. The low level of intelligence from this species is shocking

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Why did they release a new product in such a short time? That's nuts. The next medium-sized iPad may be released in 5 months, with yet a new connector dubbed "Thunder Connector" costs only $45 and is not compatible with any other connectors even the "Lightning Connector."

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hands up everyone who's trading in their iPad for a Surface. Ummm.... anyone? Anyone? No?

Seriously, if it's a choice between an unproven tablet with 720p and a well-established powerhouse with industry-leading design, hardware that redefines the entire industry and by far the best ecosystem of apps and accessories ... is it even a choice?

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]voodoobunny[/nom]Seriously, if it's a choice between an unproven tablet with 720p and a well-established powerhouse with industry-leading design, hardware that redefines the entire industry and by far the best ecosystem of apps and accessories ... is it even a choice?[/citation]

My entire company is ditching iPad 2's for Surface RT's and Pro's (once they're out). For us, it's a choice between a Windows tablet that's fully compatible with our existing infrastructure right out of the box and a 10" screen iPod who's processor can't even drive 1080p video on it's unnecessarily-high-resolution-but-poor-color-rendition screen. As my company's system admin, i'm very much looking forward to the day that I no longer have to delete and re-add a user's company mail account due to sync issues, and can finally view the entire internet, instead of just 30% of it.

The iPad is a toy for consumers. The Surface is for people who actually want to accomplish stuff.

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]And what's the percentage of Windows 8 news coming out?... I'd bet more than 20%...My point is, so what? Tech news is tech news. If you want a filter, go to the manufacturer website for news.[/citation]

Actually i was bored and i counted Im sure my numbers were off because i didn't read every title i just skimmed

there are 18 articles about apple vs 13 total about microsoft and only 6 of those have to do with windows 8 one is the lumia 510 running windows phone 7 and the other is Google passing Microsoft in operating system market share the rest i just random Microsoft stuff

I also haven't seen one mention of the surface that a lot of other reviewers put out reviews for yesterday

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Percentage changes without actual numbers are usually subtle lies.
They get 2 iPad replacements per day, the next day they got 10, so it's a 1000% jump. It's true but meaningless.
What are the actual numbers of a period of time?
-IvanTO

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Why did they release a new product in such a short time? That's nuts. The next medium-sized iPad may be released in 5 months, with yet a new connector dubbed "Thunder Connector" costs only $45 and is not compatible with any other connectors even the "Lightning Connector."[/citation]
It's because lightning comes after thunder.....But seriously, don't try to rationalize anything to do with apple. I know a person who traded in their iphone when the white version came out. My neighbor with a Mac pro couldn't understand how my 6 year old machine cuts his video encoding time in half. He didn't know that I replaced my main drive with a high end SSD. 550MB read and write. The I7 9 series still rocks most systems. My new gaming rig with 3rd gen i7 doesn't really beat the old 9 series by much.... maybe 5%.

Did you every see that picture online of the mountain of cell phones? Soon their will be a mountain of ipads and ipad2's..... Mount ipad or Mount ipod.... same thing.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]It's crazy how iSheep like to get ripped off TWICE lol. Once by crApple and once by these trade in sites. The low level of intelligence from this species is shocking[/citation]

I know Software Architects and Developers (not in Apple or iOS apps fields at all) who prefer certain Apple products. They have uses and values that maybe you don't like but others do hold more value to. Trust me, they are not "low level of intelligence."

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]My entire company is ditching iPad 2's for Surface RT's and Pro's (once they're out). For us, it's a choice between a Windows tablet that's fully compatible with our existing infrastructure right out of the box and a 10" screen iPod who's processor can't even drive 1080p video on it's unnecessarily-high-resolution-but-poor-color-rendition screen. As my company's system admin, i'm very much looking forward to the day that I no longer have to delete and re-add a user's company mail account due to sync issues, and can finally view the entire internet, instead of just 30% of it.The iPad is a toy for consumers. The Surface is for people who actually want to accomplish stuff.[/citation]

Which was what, Blackberry diehards' moto? Surface is trying to be a consumer product, they're trying to sell millions upon millions to consumers, not to just enterprise users. The RT is a failure in my books, they needed to price it at $299-$399 to get more traction and market share. They missed an opportunity and will see iPad numbers eclipse it by at least 5:1 this quarter.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Which was what, Blackberry diehards' moto? Surface is trying to be a consumer product, they're trying to sell millions upon millions to consumers, not to just enterprise users. The RT is a failure in my books, they needed to price it at $299-$399 to get more traction and market share. They missed an opportunity and will see iPad numbers eclipse it by at least 5:1 this quarter.[/citation]

Just as my opinion of the iPad has no bearing whatsoever on it's success, so it is also with your opinion of surface. Surface RT is going to be extremely successful whether you like it or not. It can't help but succeed. All Microsoft had to do was release a windows compatible tablet with a premium look and feel and price it lower than the iPad. They did exactly that. Apple always succeeds when they have no competition...they have never been able to hold their ground when challenged by a real competitor. The iPad has been very successful because there has been nothing else like it available. Until now. Mark my words, Surface is going to sell like mad and have Apple scrambling for an answer (they already hurried up the release of the iPad 4 - do you think they did that for the hell of it?). I agree that Microsoft could have done better with Surface RT and especially Windows 8, but in the end it's going to be a moot point. Just as PS3 and Blu-Ray mutually assured each other's success, Surface and Windows 8 will succeed in the same fashion.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Which was what, Blackberry diehards' moto? Surface is trying to be a consumer product, they're trying to sell millions upon millions to consumers, not to just enterprise users. The RT is a failure in my books, they needed to price it at $299-$399 to get more traction and market share. They missed an opportunity and will see iPad numbers eclipse it by at least 5:1 this quarter.[/citation]

Unfortunately, your opinion of Surface has no bearing whatsoever on it's actual sales. Mark my words, Surface RT will sell like mad and have Apple scrambling for an answer (they already hurried the release of the iPad 4, why do you suppose no one had any clue that was coming?). Surface can't help but succeed simply because of what it is. The world has been screaming for a tablet like Surface...all Microsoft (or anybody) had to do was offer a windows compatible tablet with a premium look and feel and price it lower than the iPad. They did exactly that. I agree that they could have done a better job with both Surface RT and Windows 8, but in the end it won't matter...just as the PS3 and Blu-Ray mutually assured each other's success, Surface and Windows 8 will become the new standards in their classes.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Unfortunately, your opinion of Surface has no bearing whatsoever on it's actual sales. Mark my words, Surface RT will sell like mad and have Apple scrambling for an answer (they already hurried the release of the iPad 4, why do you suppose no one had any clue that was coming?). Surface can't help but succeed simply because of what it is. The world has been screaming for a tablet like Surface...all Microsoft (or anybody) had to do was offer a windows compatible tablet with a premium look and feel and price it lower than the iPad. They did exactly that. I agree that they could have done a better job with both Surface RT and Windows 8, but in the end it won't matter...just as the PS3 and Blu-Ray mutually assured each other's success, Surface and Windows 8 will become the new standards in their classes.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]Unfortunately, your opinion of Surface has no bearing whatsoever on it's actual sales. Mark my words, Surface RT will sell like mad and have Apple scrambling for an answer (they already hurried the release of the iPad 4, why do you suppose no one had any clue that was coming?). Surface can't help but succeed simply because of what it is. The world has been screaming for a tablet like Surface...all Microsoft (or anybody) had to do was offer a windows compatible tablet with a premium look and feel and price it lower than the iPad. They did exactly that. I agree that they could have done a better job with both Surface RT and Windows 8, but in the end it won't matter...just as the PS3 and Blu-Ray mutually assured each other's success, Surface and Windows 8 will become the new standards in their classes.[/citation]
d

Unfortunately, you opinion of Surface has no nearing whatsoever on it's actual sales as well, so what's your point? My cumulative knowledge of this space and business leads me to my projection of at least 5:1 sales of iPads to Surface tablets. So as both an AAPL and MSFT investor I don't really expect my MSFT stock to rise dramatically with Surface, if it met your projections it would, again I disagree with you.

You talk about PS3 and Blu-Ray, funny how that's Sony and Microsoft was Xbox 360 and HD-DVD and the HD-DVD format was a complete flop, again something I told family members and friends not to purchase and go with Blu-Ray since it will have more market traction.

Windows 8 Pro and a $499 Surface tablet was something I was hoping for. Xbox 360 like other competing consoles offer their product for a loss at the beginning to get market share and over time they make up the subsidized cost. This is the model Microsoft had to follow.

It may take 2-3 releases for the Surface to get the market share 'some' people are expecting. Being the third wheel in this market can take years to gain real traction, especially when there is nothing really differentiating the RT model from existing tablet. You can get office productivity tools on iPad and Android tablets, are they "Office" no, but they can open, edit, save "Office" files. So to me that is not enough. Microsoft again is going back to keyboards as something they want to focus on, again cool, but these are touch tablets. Bluetooth keyboards are available for years on iPad and Android tablets. If they said you can have your windows games and programs work on a tablet (PRO) for below the iPad price, now that will start to get market share.

We'll wait and see, but I think Microsoft dropped the ball a bit, considering they're sitting on billions of cash and can afford a subsidized device. This is a multi-billion dollar market and they can get a good ROI over time even if the tablet is sold a little below cost.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]My cumulative knowledge of this space and business leads me to my projection of at least 5:1 sales of iPads to Surface tablets. So as both an AAPL and MSFT investor I don't really expect my MSFT stock to rise dramatically with Surface, if it met your projections it would, again I disagree with you.

We'll wait and see, but I think Microsoft dropped the ball a bit, considering they're sitting on billions of cash and can afford a subsidized device. This is a multi-billion dollar market and they can get a good ROI over time even if the tablet is sold a little below cost.[/citation]

We can certainly agree to disagree. I see your evidence and still totally disagree with your conclusion. The Surface will sell like mad on it's own merits. Like I said, it can't help but sell just because of what it is - a Windows tablet that looks and feels every bit as good as the iPad, for a lower price. To me, the fact that the tablet has already sold out in presale proves my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.