iPhone 5 Runs Dual-Core Cortex-A15, Says Analyst Firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
im not at all in favor of Apple(or any company) marketing their shit as "Twice as fast". its blatantly lying 99% of the time, and this time its quite obvious. false marketing could possibly get them sued.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
A bit off topics, but
Seriously though, what if Apple only made the new iPhone longer so they can better sue samsung in the future as the width length ratio would be more similar? :eek:

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Problem is wouldn't Apple use the fact that there are no other A15 SOC's in the market to announce that the Iphone 5 is "revolutionary" because no other phone has incorporated it yet (The s4 krait is a custom SoC that uses elements of both A15/A9 and is not a true A15 design).

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Ok, so, there's no doubt that the new CPU must be both faster and more efficient. Great. Now put that extra performance to good use. Please. That's where most phone manufacturers fail--iphone, android, tablets, whatever. I'm still dumbfounded that my single-core snapdragon android phone is smoother and snappier in every way when compared to my tegrat2 tablet. It's all about implementation.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Depending on the benchmarks the new A6 (Cortex A-15) chip will be double the speed but gotta check the bench mark tests. Even then Apple has been more accurate than most with their claims and I am sure the tests will prove it. Where are the iHaters? I need a good laugh!

halcyon

Splendid
I care not what chip is in the iPhone 5. My iPhone 4s seems to function reasonably well and, from this, I infer, like most iSheep, that the iPhone 5 will as well. I'm just not overly excited by it, its a phone.

v3rlon

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
You know, I really do not care about CPU cores or GPU cores numbers or shapes or frequency. I only care about my experience on the end. If you could play Crysis on a 25 MHz 68030 processor, would you care that it wasn't 4GHz or that you were getting 200 frames a second? So, I will wait and see what actual performance is available before trolling.

Now, what about Google threatening Acer if they didn't use Android on their Alien phone? I guess they aren't saints either.

The problem is, yes it may be faster but who is going to code to take advantage of it. If you're an app maker, are you going to make a iPhone 5 ONLY app and alienate your market or make an that app that runs from the 3 to the 5 and open your market to probably 10x the number the people. Same thing with more pixels, etc. Who cares, is anyone coding apps for only those screens. No.

G

Fact of the matter is the iPhone 5 will be the fastest phone when it releases. The A15 Dual core is faster than anything currently out. People can hate on it all they want but iOS is a much better optimized operating system then Android (Jelly Bean is much improved though). iOS also does not need a surplus of hardware to run ideally. As far as the design goes, why would Apple change a design that works and has made them the most valuable company in the world? You don't change your horse midway during the race if it has brought you to first place. It is obvious their design has proven itself and now they are just refining it. I'm sure eventually they will change the layout/design but as for right now they obviously are playing it safe until they come up with something superior.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]zsw11[/nom]Fact of the matter is the iPhone 5 will be the fastest phone when it releases. The A15 Dual core is faster than anything currently out. People can hate on it all they want but iOS is a much better optimized operating system then Android (Jelly Bean is much improved though). iOS also does not need a surplus of hardware to run ideally. As far as the design goes, why would Apple change a design that works and has made them the most valuable company in the world? You don't change your horse midway during the race if it has brought you to first place. It is obvious their design has proven itself and now they are just refining it. I'm sure eventually they will change the layout/design but as for right now they obviously are playing it safe until they come up with something superior.[/citation]
Fast is entirely arbitrary and relative. What will one do with all of the "Fastness" of the phone? Run benchmarks all day?

G

The iphone 4s is plenty fast and dont get me wrong I love almost all the apple products and own most of them. However, I would never call any hardware that comes from apple revolutionary, except for the Ipad 1. Lets get real its the software that makes these products so good. Hardware to Hardware apple loses everytime.

G

Apple decided long ago it would not focus on specifics of specs. As a person who likes to see the specs. I take Apple's decline as a indicator of something to hide. Having seen plenty of test of Bose equipment in the past. Their sound reproduction may make you think their speakers are very good. But in fact many test of their sound response was very jagged. I would think Apple simply plays the approach that most people care only about a experience and not the specs. But if that's the case then does that mean Apple thinks it can use less hardware if the experience is perceived as good? Kind of like a 4 cylinder engine perceived to perform like a V6.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]Apple decided long ago it would not focus on specifics of specs. As a person who likes to see the specs. I take Apple's decline as a indicator of something to hide. Having seen plenty of test of Bose equipment in the past. Their sound reproduction may make you think their speakers are very good. But in fact many test of their sound response was very jagged. I would think Apple simply plays the approach that most people care only about a experience and not the specs. But if that's the case then does that mean Apple thinks it can use less hardware if the experience is perceived as good? Kind of like a 4 cylinder engine perceived to perform like a V6.[/citation]
Apple just thinks us iSheep shouldn't focus on specs...unless they want us to. They told us the iPhone 5 is nice, and therefore, that's all we need to know. It does seem pretty nice but that could just be the iSheep in me seeing glass and alumiinum.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Apple will soon patent the shape of a d-i-c-k. Everyone who has one will be eternally screwed and have to pay royalties to Apple for the rest of their lives.

[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Apple will soon patent the shape of a d-i-c-k. Everyone who has one will be eternally screwed and have to pay royalties to Apple for the rest of their lives.[/citation]

There is what should be a very obvious line between disagreeing and even demonizing Apple and being a simple internet troll. This is an example of that line being crossed like a motorcyclist without a helmet running over a curb.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]I would think Apple simply plays the approach that most people care only about a experience and not the specs. But if that's the case then does that mean Apple thinks it can use less hardware if the experience is perceived as good? Kind of like a 4 cylinder engine perceived to perform like a V6.[/citation]
iPhone 5 is not lagging behind the competition by any stretch of the imagination. In the end, it's the end user's experience, and many peers of mines do in fact like the iOS. I like Android, but it's high maintenance when you have to keep up for updates. I for one like the size of the iPhone/iPod touch because of the keyboard size; over a year of using the Galaxy S2, I am still not used to it's keyboard, and will probably never adapt to it. The original iPhone had terrible specifications, but Androids that came out shortly after had horrendous performance with better hardware; the iOS looked like it was really well developed for the hardware. Now things have changed, Android is not as laggy, but iPhone doesn't suffer from lag either, nor does it need a quad-core, and neither should Android. Specs are important, but that is if it becomes convenient, and if we have the technology. If an iPhone can run 8 hours of casual gaming, but a Galaxy S3 can only do half, but have double the specs, I honestly would prefer an iPhone. It's not like a Galaxy S3 is that much cheaper than an iPhone (at least not in Canada). Same concept with Wii U.
But most of you guys would probably think that Wii U needs more power or it will suck! Not really. Unless the processing power is going to improve and innovate gameplay, rather than focus on graphics that is just going to kill my computer, then you won't need it. Something like iPhone 5 and Wii U will function as it should, and nothing except for super detailed graphics will be deprived due to it's "lower specs". Optimization is the key word.
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Apple just thinks us iSheep shouldn't focus on specs...unless they want us to. They told us the iPhone 5 is nice, and therefore, that's all we need to know. It does seem pretty nice but that could just be the iSheep in me seeing glass and alumiinum.[/citation]
There is no reason for Apple to implement a quad-core processor. It's just going to kill the battery rather than actually make a huge performance difference. Optimization is where it is at.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]There is no reason for Apple to implement a quad-core processor. It's just going to kill the battery rather than actually make a huge performance difference. Optimization is where it is at.[/citation]
Wait wait we iSheep have been told that quad core phones are better (because 4 is more than 2) by our android lusting brothers. ... but but Apple iPhones only have dual cores. Oh no...oh no...I am iConfused.

[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]iPhone 5 is not lagging behind the competition by any stretch of the imagination. In the end, it's the end user's experience, and many peers of mines do in fact like the iOS. I like Android, but it's high maintenance when you have to keep up for updates. I for one like the size of the iPhone/iPod touch because of the keyboard size; over a year of using the Galaxy S2, I am still not used to it's keyboard, and will probably never adapt to it. The original iPhone had terrible specifications, but Androids that came out shortly after had horrendous performance with better hardware; the iOS looked like it was really well developed for the hardware. Now things have changed, Android is not as laggy, but iPhone doesn't suffer from lag either, nor does it need a quad-core, and neither should Android. Specs are important, but that is if it becomes convenient, and if we have the technology. If an iPhone can run 8 hours of casual gaming, but a Galaxy S3 can only do half, but have double the specs, I honestly would prefer an iPhone. It's not like a Galaxy S3 is that much cheaper than an iPhone (at least not in Canada). Same concept with Wii U.But most of you guys would probably think that Wii U needs more power or it will suck! Not really. Unless the processing power is going to improve and innovate gameplay, rather than focus on graphics that is just going to kill my computer, then you won't need it. Something like iPhone 5 and Wii U will function as it should, and nothing except for super detailed graphics will be deprived due to it's "lower specs". Optimization is the key word.There is no reason for Apple to implement a quad-core processor. It's just going to kill the battery rather than actually make a huge performance difference. Optimization is where it is at.[/citation]

On the same thought process, if the S3 is twice as powerful for double the power consumption with the same battery capacity (meaning ~half the battery life at load), then simply implementing an underclocking feature for it to let it perform more like the iPhone if you want it too (maybe something like the Windows power profiles could be implemented for an easy to use yet still advanced one-stop control panel of this) and thus get similar battery life at load would give it much more flexibility. If you valued battery life over performance like that, then you could even simply underclock the CPU/GPU yourself in a few minutes and have your solution.

Oh sure, you could simply get the iPhone option, but then you wouldn't have the option of buying a larger high-capacity battery to get the best of both worlds later on ;)

Of course having say a quad core CPU seems useless without optimization at first, but you're thinking only of single-threaded performance with a single app. Having four cores brings on a whole new level of multi-tasking perfomrance with Android that can be quite an advantage. However, the current quad core CPUs all seem quite lacking and outdated at this time, so that's kinda irrelevent ATM IMO given that a dual-core A15 or Krait CPU will probably be able to beat Tegra 3 and other quad-core A9s even in fully threaded performance.

As for the Wii U, anyone who complains about it not being high-end is someone who fails to understand what Nintendo does. They aren't competing in the high-end and high-cost market and they should not be considered failing for not trying to do so. They have nearly an entire market of lower end hardware to themselves and like with AMD's low end graphics advantage over Nvidia, that clearly matters for Nintendo. Besides, that Nintendo can have enjoyable games due to having more novel and seemingly innovative features to counter-balance the inferior graphics quality is a quite compelling argument in favor of Nintendo IMO. Having a high-quality game is better than a crap game with great graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.