iPhone 5S Announced with A7 SoC, Fingerprint Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
"The result is CPU performance that is 40 times that of the original iPhone and graphics performance that is 56 times that of the original iPhone."

I like how they compare it to their original iPhon.... makes the numbers seem so much better. Hey, guess what guys, my PC is 100000 times better than the original PC. I want to see how it stacks up against current gen top tier phones and the iP5. Don't try and sell me with some comparison to some phone 4 generations old.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Does anybody else find it amazing that the consumer price of a 64 GB model is TWICE AS MUCH as the exact same phone with 16 GB of memory when you can get a 64 GB microSD card for under $40?

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Does anybody else find it amazing that the consumer price of a 64 GB model is TWICE AS MUCH as the exact same phone with 16 GB of memory when you can get a 64 GB microSD card for under $40?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Tom's...2 different iphone 5s announcement posts? Come on, like this couldn't have been included in your other post sensationalizing iphone 5s as the "world's first 64-bit phone."

halcyon

Splendid
Disclaimer: I'm an Android guy with an S4, Note 8.0, and Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Apple's announcements today were significant. The lower cost iPhone will be a hit as will the champagne 5s. The fingerprint scanning is cool as $*@%! and I'm looking forward to when Samsung or Sony copies it. The faster 5s is 64-bit and if it were an android manufacturer the android fangirls would be doing voodoo chants. Yeah, I would have liked to see Apple release a larger-screened phone but the fact that they refuse to do so just secures my android stance. Give Apple their props for their exceedingly simple OS and sometimes innovative tech...even if you prefer the more complex and flexible galaxy (pun intended) of android.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
"Additionally, your fingerprints are never stored on Apple's servers or backed up to iCloud."

That's hilarious....but they are forwarded to the NSA?

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
The big issue here is that they are selling $300 worth of mid range hardware for top of the line prices. iPhones are built well, but that's about it.

If Samsung launched a phone today at $199 on contract with a 4", 326 ppi screen, 16GB of non-expandable storage, and 1GB of RAM, it would be a laughing stock, yet people will be lined up out the door for this.

cmi86

Distinguished
I try not to be a conspiracy guy but damn common sense has to play a factor at some point. Every day a leak shows more and more about how the nsa and other alphabet agencies invade peoples privacy and steal information. Now you want to scan your fingerprint on your cell phone ??? I suppose it's OK since apple promises it wont be saved or shared... yeah right

halcyon

Splendid

Because our fingerprints are oh-so-private? Information: If the US gov wants it, chances are they already have it or soon will. Most people's fingerprints are already on file, are they not?

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
@halcyon: It doesn't matter if they can or already do have it; they have no right to it. The whole "Well I have nothing to hide, so..." is the phrase of someone who has accepted the surrender of their freedoms. The government is NOT the answer to problems. They stir the pot, make things seem worse than they are (with the help of the media they control), and convince us we need to vote for them as a solution. Once in, they create a program that they tell us nothing about (without letting us vote on the bill itself), instill taxes in areas we aren't even aware of, and continue to make us more and more poor. They package it under the guise of security and organization, when it's really a means to make us dependent on them.

The thumbprint scan is government pressure on these companies to find more ways to access and collect our information for them. Since the companies technically own the data, they can do that.

We don't need to Occupy businesses; we need to take back our country from the government. Stop letting them shift our focus onto the wrong things. Stop granting our president a pass from everything bad that's happening as if he's out there, rolling up his sleeves, fighting for us (which he's not).

They want us all to be poor and dependent on them.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Jesus, take off your tinfoil hat. Do you think that each time you have to input an alphanumeric or symbolic password into your phone, it's because the NSA--or anyone else--wants to have a database of your passwords for their own doing? Your fingerprint is no different. No one gives a damn about your fingerprint. Apple even flat-out said that the info for your print resides only on the device--nowhere else--so unless you find and share that file, you have nothing to worry about.

You also make a statement that "they have no right to it." Why do you assume that? A governing body to which you're a citizen of demands your birth record info. Do they have no right to that either? What do they have rights to?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
How fast the cpu is doesn't tell me how butter-smooth the OS runs, supposedly the cpu in certain WP8 units is slower than the current iPhone 5, but it runs as fast and smooth, better for some tasks. So for what is meant to be a flagship device, in the face of the Nokia 1020 and a dearth of high-end Android phones, Apple have given us a "yawn" minor camera upgrade, but little else to warrant buying one. Tim Cook ain't Steve Jobs and this bullshit is exactly what the old Apple did the first time he went away. Shovelware.

michael908

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013

Windows has done an amazing job for optimizing their OS to run on low end hardware. It really is underlooked and if it had a larger app ecosystem I wouldn't hesitate to give up my S4 for one of those nice Nokia phones. Apple stopped innovating to focus on patent trolling. They just hope people will buy the Iphone for brand and it's simplicity. They throw some colours around here and there, and add some gimmicky feature, and voila , they have a new product. And don't say fingerprint scanners are innovation, they are useless. Fingerprint scanners are incredibly easy to bypass (it can be done with a photocopied image of a fingerprint left on a surface), they only appear in movies for a reason. And how high quality of a finger print scanner can they include to keep their 3-500% profit margin?

iPhoneSame and iPhoneCheap... Yeah, a little bit more of the same.

I am getting really concerned about Android's competition (or lack thereof). I was eyeing WinPhone, but with the lack of professional apps for it I can not even give it a serious consideration. Now Apple proves (once more) that it is only a shadow of what used to be (their great design ended with iP 3G). And that is only hardware; on software side, iOS is trying really hard to catch up with the competition, only to produce a 'meh' experience.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Underwhelming to say the least. The camera is still only 8mp too so not much change as you think. Minor upgrades but if your coming from a Iphone 4 or 4S this is the one for you. If your on welfare and food stamps you too can have the new iphone, the 5C.

Soda109

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Apple really needs to start giving their products a major upgrade. My tmobile S2 has a 400Mhz faster processor than the iphone 5 and its from 2011. Apple also continues to leave the screen sizes puny compared to other phones. s4 is a full inch bigger in size than the iphone 5s. and as for apple claiming their 64 bit processor will make it double the performance of the 5, consider this: iphone 5 was a dual core 1.3ghz phone, doubling the power would give it the strength of a quad core 1.3 ghz phone. Might be good somewhat but that only is barely matching the low power cores in the s4. camera megapixel resolution is another thing apple needs to improve on. 720p at 120 fps may be nice but its not 1080p. and its still 8mp when the s4 is 13mp and the lumia 1020 is 41mp. the 5s better have more than 2gb ram or the 64 bit processor will be useless. Also the 5s does NOT support wireless ac. And apple conveniently does not offer a micro sd card slot or a removable battery. Iphones also run at lower resolutions. s4 has full 1080p while 5s isnt even 720p yet XD.

overall the smartphone race isnt going in apple's favor. the only thing keeping apple in is the 64 bit processor and hordes of iZombies

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I don't like Apple for various reasons, but all you people's bashing is simply unbelievable. There is 2X the raw performance, and it comes with a friggin fingerprint scanner, and people yell like robots how it is inferior to some Samsung or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.