Question iPhone How to connect to Windows 10 to transfer photos/videos?

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Hello Guys

My uncle has:

• iPhone 17
  • iOS Version: 16.5.1 (c)
  • Model Name: iPhone X

The device has a good amount of photos/videos stored.

Question

• What is the best approach to transfer that data to a PC Desktop with Windows 10?

Of course, the purpose is be able to open the files in peace in the PC Desktop.

Solution
iCloud is doable. iCloud offers 5GB free last I checked, and if the user has a lot of photos and videos, it might be best to customize the iCloud settings to only backup photos and videos and not other things on the phone.
You then make sure stuff is backed up then you can access the iCloud photos and videos via the iCloud website.

as I mentioned though, any photos and videos taken directly with the phone (or carried over from a previous iPhone that were also taken using the camera) will be available by just plugging the phone into USB on the computer and opening it up.

As for a third party method, using the cloud, you can use Google Drive which offers a free 15GB of space and then access the photos and videos via the Google Drive...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
last time I checked, any iPhone connected to Windows shows up as a camera device where you can access the photos and videos directly just not anything else.

anything that is downloaded/saved from other apps, unless pushed into the camera roll, will need to be transferred using an app of some kind either one that lets you access it's files via USB like a flash drive (or using a companion app) or you do it via the cloud with things like Dropbox or Google Drive.

Also, he does not have an iPhone 17. it hasn't been released yet. I don't think iPhone 15 has even been released yet and that should be the next one to come out here soon.

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Thanks for the polite reply

Also, he does not have an iPhone 17. it hasn't been released yet. I don't think iPhone 15 has even been released yet and that should be the next one to come out here soon.

He shared a Figure about the Settings of his device - It seems he wrote incorrectly the iPhone's "name" which I used as reference. Thanks for the tip, therefore I told him to check the model in the back (reverse side) of the device

anything that is downloaded/saved from other apps, unless pushed into the camera roll, will need to be transferred using an app of some kind either one that lets you access it's files via USB like a flash drive (or using a companion app) or you do it via the cloud with things like Dropbox or Google Drive

Yes,

• (A) Do you know a special app to accomplish this goal?

And about the "cloud" approach:

• (B) Do you think that is a better approach use "iCloud" over the "expected suggestion of the app"?

I am assuming that he would be able to sign in - in the iCloud account - through a Web Browser in the PC Desktop (with Windows ) and download the files as required.

last time I checked, any iPhone connected to Windows shows up as a camera device where you can access the photos and videos directly just not anything else.

It seems, according with I understood according with his experience, is not possible open the photos and videos

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It should be a fairly streamlined process. So far as I am aware Apple products are tied into things such as iCloud and whatnot. I do not know the current details such as if they offer up to a certain amount of free space, or if only by purchase/space. Anyway, what I am getting at is that if they auto back up to iCloud then just log in from the PC to that app/page and download what you want local.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello Guys

My uncle has:

• iPhone 17
  • iOS Version: 16.5.1 (c)
  • Model Name: iPhone X

The device has a good amount of photos/videos stored.

Question

• What is the best approach to transfer that data to a PC Desktop with Windows 10?

Of course, the purpose is be able to open the files in peace in the PC Desktop.
When did the iPhone 17 come out? The iPhone 14 is the latest with the iPhone 15 set to come out later this year.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
iCloud is doable. iCloud offers 5GB free last I checked, and if the user has a lot of photos and videos, it might be best to customize the iCloud settings to only backup photos and videos and not other things on the phone.
You then make sure stuff is backed up then you can access the iCloud photos and videos via the iCloud website.

as I mentioned though, any photos and videos taken directly with the phone (or carried over from a previous iPhone that were also taken using the camera) will be available by just plugging the phone into USB on the computer and opening it up.

As for a third party method, using the cloud, you can use Google Drive which offers a free 15GB of space and then access the photos and videos via the Google Drive website.

Using a third party method such as Google Drive lets you upload anything, whether it was taken using the phone, or downloaded from social media/text message sharing.

If wanting to get files off the device that are not just in the camera roll using USB, then a third party app that essentially turns your phone into a flash drive is needed, but you'll need to do some basic searching for what's available because I haven't messed with that sort of thing since I had an iPod Touch 4 and 5 and I haven't owned and used any Apple products personally since then (I only ever touch an iPhone when my mom needs me to help her with something, or a Macbook Air for my grandma, otherwise I use Android and Windows)

Solution

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
It should be a fairly streamlined process. So far as I am aware Apple products are tied into things such as iCloud and whatnot. I do not know the current details such as if they offer up to a certain amount of free space, or if only by purchase/space. Anyway, what I am getting at is that if they auto back up to iCloud then just log in from the PC to that app/page and download what you want local
Thanks, it seems go with iCloud is the best approach

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022

As for a third party method, using the cloud, you can use Google Drive which offers a free 15GB of space and then access the photos and videos via the Google Drive website.

Using a third party method such as Google Drive lets you upload anything, whether it was taken using the phone, or downloaded from social media/text message sharing.

If wanting to get files off the device that are not just in the camera roll using USB, then a third party app that essentially turns your phone into a flash drive is needed, but you'll need to do some basic searching for what's available because I haven't messed with that sort of thing since I had an iPod Touch 4 and 5 and I haven't owned and used any Apple products personally since then (I only ever touch an iPhone when my mom needs me to help her with something, or a Macbook Air for my grandma, otherwise I use Android and Windows)
Thanks again for the polite and feedback.

It seems the best approach is use iCloud. My uncle told me that is viable to pay to increase the storage in the Cloud. I am not sure, but I am assuming that would be possible associate other accounts, for example the iPhone of my aunt (his wife)

Tell me, pls, what do you think about to use "iTunes" as option?. It was suggested in other network.

Thanks in advance

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks again for the polite and feedback.

It seems the best approach is use iCloud. My uncle told me that is viable to pay to increase the storage in the Cloud. I am not sure, but I am assuming that would be possible associate other accounts, for example the iPhone of my aunt (his wife)

Tell me, pls, what do you think about to use "iTunes" as option?. It was suggested in other network.

Thanks in advance
I don't know about using iTunes. Last I know, iTunes just lets you do a full phone backup and save it locally on the computer to restore from it.
And I don't know if iTunes is still being developed for any operating system other than MacOS these days.

You can only backup more than one person's phone to the same iCloud if everybody's phone is connected to the same Apple account and are sharing the account and data.