[SOLVED] IPS or TN monitors

mitchell.wong

Honorable
Jul 2, 2018
Hi, I recently looked into trying to save up for a 240hz monitor, I looked into articles about panel types and what they do. I play CS:GO, Rainbow Six Siege, VALORANT, etc. I noticed that TN and IPS monitors are the most common to get, should I go for a TN panel or IPS since they are both appear to be around the same price as of now. I plan to overclock a little bit since I want to. Which should I get for these types of games?

Solution
The difference between IPS and TN are color ranges and viewing angles (the clarity of color when viewing the monitor at an angle). For example if you're a photo editor or just want the best colors possible on your monitor then IPS is the best choice as the technology used in IPS produces the best colors and best viewing angles, however this requires a lot more data to be generated and thus can make it harder and more expensive to reach higher refresh rates & response times (the time it takes your monitor to shift from one color to another).

TN on the other hand uses less data and thus has much faster response times and refresh rates than an IPS but the color range is much less broad and the viewing angles are mostly bad when not...
The difference between IPS and TN are color ranges and viewing angles (the clarity of color when viewing the monitor at an angle). For example if you're a photo editor or just want the best colors possible on your monitor then IPS is the best choice as the technology used in IPS produces the best colors and best viewing angles, however this requires a lot more data to be generated and thus can make it harder and more expensive to reach higher refresh rates & response times (the time it takes your monitor to shift from one color to another).

TN on the other hand uses less data and thus has much faster response times and refresh rates than an IPS but the color range is much less broad and the viewing angles are mostly bad when not looking at it straight on. TN is mostly used by pro-gamers who do play games like CS;GO or R6 because they don't need the best colors but rather the fastest response times from the monitor. TN delivers that.

There is a middle ground panel between IPS and TN called VA. With VA the color range is near IPS level but the technology used in VA allows for faster response times and refresh rates than an IPS. The viewing angles and refresh rates are similar to a TN however. This panel type are for people who want a fast monitor for gaming but without full color fidelity loss.

As for what type of monitor you should get, it's really up to your preference, do you want vivid colors but worse response times (this may produce a 'ghosting effect' - search this term up)? Or do you want the fastest response times which'll give your monitor the ability to more accurately draw almost every movement per frame in a competitive game like CS;GO, but with less colors?

I recommend you research the panel types more in-depth before making a conclusion.

Reactions: thefxgamingrules
Solution