IPS or TN panel monitor

Netheros

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Hey guys,

I plan on getting a new monitor for my pc.I mainly play counter strike global offensive but i plan on playing other games too.I was considering for some time to buy a 144hz monitor but since i wont be able to achieve that fps in most games except cs go ( i have an fx 6300 and an hd 7970) and the fact that they are expensive for me i stopped considering this.So since my budget is around 200 euros i can get either a 27 inch ips monitor or a good 24 inch 60 hz low response time and low iput lag tn panel.Keep in mind that i play a lot of cs and i plan on playing other games too. Will a gaming 60hz tn panel make a difference from an ips panel? So what do you guys think i should get?

Solution
Even though you want the fastest response time possible for CS:Go I don't think you'll be held back from IPS' 5ms response time either.

Image quality on IPS monitors are a lot better.

I think you have to decide yourself between slightly almost impossible to notice response time difference or much better image quality.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Even though you want the fastest response time possible for CS:Go I don't think you'll be held back from IPS' 5ms response time either.

Image quality on IPS monitors are a lot better.

I think you have to decide yourself between slightly almost impossible to notice response time difference or much better image quality.

Solution
Quality depends on a lot more than just IPS or TN panel type. Try to find a detailed review of the monitor you are interested in that includes color accuracy, uniformance, gamma, minimum black level, etc.
For response time, anything under 5ms is fine for a 60 Hz monitor.
I would avoid anything using a PWM back light if flicker bothers you at all. BenQ and Dell are mostly flicker free these days but other brands can be mixed.
Great reviews on http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/.

Netheros

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
But if i am not able to achieve those fps in other games will i get a lot of screen tearing?

Tearing mostly occurs when your graphics card is producing a higher frame rate than the monitor refresh rate, not the other way around, so a 144Hz monitor is better for this.
g-sync or adaptive sync are the best solution.
If these are not supported, then enable v-sync or triple buffering.
If you don't have support for these

Probably not. I previously bought the Asus VS278Q and it was terrible. I returned it and bought an IPS monitor, which I have been very happy with.
Any 60 Hz monitor with a 1ms response time is a bit suspicious, since this response time is unnecessary and they have likely made compromises to achieve it.
I can find no detailed reviews for this monitor, which is a bad sign.

1-16 ms response time are the same. If its slower than 16 ms you will have a higher chance of seeing whats known as ghosting. This is because a 60 Hz LCD updates every 16 ms. Manufacturers often cut corners to make their product stand out, so they even take the average which is 5--in reality it would be 10. Not all manufacturers do this but regarding everything in a monitor usually the only true specs are size, resolution and panel type (out of specs that only affects image quality). Also, LCDs cant flicker- if its damaged or failing it can because voltage is likely to fluctuate. // People often think that response time is input lag-its not. They will never list input lag because anything below 30 ms is the norm, also wont matter going lower because you cant notice it anyways. If they added such a high number they wouldnt be able to cover it up like they are with response times (GTG and BTB). Basically everything is marketing gimmicks at this point. To OP: In my opinion, A 75 Hz IPS monitor might just be what youre looking for!

Netheros

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
But doesn't ips panels have worse input lag than tn? And input lag is important for gaming from what i know.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Basically input lag is quite overrated. The majority of the gamers do not even notice the difference.

If you want to be highly competitive all the time in online games then go with low response time TN monitors.

If you play a lot of different games and sometimes online shooters an IPS is a much better option.

Input lag and response time are two different things.
IPS Panels have slower response time. Typical response time for a TN panel is 2ms to 5ms and for an IPS panel it is 5ms to 8ms. Lower response times help with ghosting, but it doesn't make a huge difference at 60 Hz.
Input lag as a total though is anywhere from 4ms to over 30ms. This includes the response time as well as time taken by the monitor circuitry to process the image.
This means the monitors with the very shortest input lag are the 144 Hz TN panels, but there is no guarantee that a 60 Hz TN panel has shorter input lag than a 60 Hz IPS panel.
I'm not necessarily saying you need to go with an IPS panel, but you want to go with a good monitor whether you choose TN, IPS, PLS, AHVA or AMVA.
When choosing the monitor, the difference between 1ms or 5ms response time shouldn't be a factor. You will not see the difference in a 60 Hz monitor.
When looking at a monitor, find a detailed review that includes information on image quality, ghosting and input lag.

One more thing to consider too.
Say the best 144 Hz monitors have 4ms input lag, a good gaming 60 Hz monitor has input lag of 15ms and a monitor not optimised for gaming has input lag of 30ms.
The average human response time to a visual stimulus is 150ms to 300ms.
While some monitors may be a little faster than others, your reaction time is still the biggest factor.

I dont know where this misconception comes from but their 1 ms input lag is just the same as 30. It must definitely come from people testing TVs with 70 or even more than that. Any modern TVset or monitor will have no noticeable delay or ghosting. It may seem amazing on paper and because people are probably comparing them to CRTs makes it all a whole lot worse. I agree with above--look up reviews or better... Look at it in person.

Netheros

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for your answers and your time. If its not a bother can you recommend me a good ips monitor in the range of maximum 200 euros that would be good for gaming ?

Netheros

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Those monitors you suggested me are not available right now in my country but this one picked my interest. Acer G257HL is it any good ?

It looks ok from the specifications. No detailed reviews so it is hard to know for sure, but I suspect this is going to be a common problem in the price range you are looking at. If you are looking for a cheap monitor, this one is probably good.