wwildbh

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Hi, Just upgrade to Win2k from 98se (clean install). I've notice that all my cards have been assigned to IRQ 9. Is this normal for Win2K?

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
I just looked at my work pc and I have the same thing. Not all the device is irq9 but 3 of them are. My computer is running fine. I never noticed it before. If your computer is not showing any problems don't mess with it.

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
shrt ans. its normal.

long ans.
This is quite normal because of ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) in win2k.
The OS now handles all the plug and play to be able to turn components off to save power ect..

However, this is a big deal if you system (ie mb bios) is not fully ACPI compliant.
Windows still has devices share IRQ's. With older components, this does cause irq conflicts. Win2k does not diagnose these conflicts properly. Win2k insists everything is working fine.

You have to go into the bios and say that your OS is not plug and play compatible and assign the isa irq's manually while leaving the rest auto. Then, you get all the devices on different (and some on virtual irq's like 140, 40!! yikes :) on different irq's.

Heh, it took 4 of us 4 days to finally figure out a netwroking problem we thought we had.